PDA

View Full Version : Tad on ebay

UWPoolGod
11-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Pretty funny. This guy couldn't even spend the time to fake a description or give a picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3639921075&category=21 212

I'm sure he's gonna get hundreds of bids LOL.

Rod
11-21-2003, 01:00 PM
!976, definately sounds bogus. Turn him in for fraud or just turn him in for being such a dumb ass. LOL

UWPoolGod
11-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Do you think that is really his name and address under sellers payment instructions? LOL...I should send him a wrapped box of poo for the holidays. LOLOLOLOL

Popcorn
11-21-2003, 01:23 PM
I think he just does not know what he is doing as far as ebay goes, it's his first sale. In his instructions he has his name and address. A lot of people may at first glance think it is a scam and stay away, but it may be worth looking into. He lives in PA. someone in the area could take a first hand look at the cue. I always look at lathe stuff on ebay. I got a good buy on a set of 5C collets. The ad read "Lath tools". I know a common miss-spelling of lathe is lath and I look under both spellings. I got the collet set for $9.99, I was the only bid. I am not really giving away a secret here, a lot of ebay buyers do that. I would say, the Tad cue sale is most likely not a fraud. just a dumb seller.

Scott Lee
11-21-2003, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> !976, definately sounds bogus. Turn him in for fraud or just turn him in for being such a dumb ass. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

Rod...Just wondering why the year 1976 sounds wrong for Tad Kohara's cues? He was definitely making cues then...as he continues to do today. His older cues have brought some high prices.

Scott

UWPoolGod
11-21-2003, 01:41 PM
I think it was the ! mark that threw him off. I just doubt that someone trying to sell the cue would put "As new" for a description...regardless of if they hadn't sold anything...the guy has supposedly been a memeber since January of this year.

Ralph S.
11-21-2003, 02:02 PM
No pics of cue?????

Rod
11-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Oh no problem Scott with 1976, heck I owned one of Tads real early cues in the 60's. The person put !976 which doesn't mean anything. It might be meant to take as meaning 1976 but the person didn't say that.

Pelican
11-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey Scott, I just added a 1969 TAD to my collection. Got it off eBay. I think I got the Dave Barenbrugge since you were here. Next is a Richard Black 30th Anniversary. Should be here by end of Jan.

Oop's, Brian said he thinks I had the Barrenbrugge when you were here.

hemicudas
11-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Note,,,,,the guy has,,,00000 feedback. Does that tell ya something?

JohnnyP
11-22-2003, 02:25 PM
Scott: I was going to Navy Sonar school in San Diego in '67. One of my classmates came back from a weekend in LA with a bird's eye maple Tad. I think he said it was $100.

Pizza Bob
11-25-2003, 06:40 PM
The opening post in this thread made light of, and questioned the authenticity of, the Ebay ad for a Tad cue. Given the posting, rightly so. However, I live very close to New Hope and figured what could it hurt? I called the fellow who listed the cue and he agreed to meet with me and here's the "skinny": This is the real deal. He lived in California and bought the cue from Tad Kohara in 1976. It is what would be termed a "fancy shooter". No points and no fancy inlay, but it isn't one of his simple birdseye maple cues either. The forearm is gray stained birdseye maple. The wrap is white with green spec Irish linen (Cortland - and given the age, probably the real thing as the cue is all original). The butt sleeve is a dark wood, probably ebony or rosewood (hard to tell, I was examining this on the porch of a local Starbucks) with fancy ringwork. The usual dashed maple rings - three if I recall, centered top to bottom. The butt sleeve is bordered by aluminum and white Delrin rings and the butt cap is the trademark Tad long white Delrin one. It has one shaft with dash rings (maple in black) on either side of the SS joint (5/16 x 18, I think - short screw). Very nice condition. Only slight chalk staining of the shaft, and the wrap is relatively clean. You can feel the ringwork, but that is to be expected in a cue of this age and really doesn't detract. Can't attest to straightness (again, porch / outside / Starbucks).

I can't personally vouch for this guy, as I just met him. But he was nice enough to meet me and let me examine the cue. I (and the world) know where he lives and I would say he is sincere and it is doubtful that any shenanigans would arise from a transaction involving this cue - just my feeling. So if anyone wants a nice Tad fancy shooter, this may be your lucky day. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

UWPoolGod
11-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks PB, you can definitely see the dilemma that someone bidding on the cue would have regarding the authenticity of such a posting. "As new" is a little vague for a description. It was great of you to check it out for us. Thanks for the update.

BLACKHEART
11-25-2003, 08:45 PM
I E-MAILED this guy the 1st day of the listing &amp; he never got back to me. There's something wrong here...JER

Pizza Bob
11-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Jer:

There's nothing wrong here. I had the cue in my hands. The guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed - seemed totally at a loss when I intially phoned him - couldn't even describe the cue (maybe something medical) but a real nice guy. I gotta believe this is on the up-and-up. Who tries to scam someone, but publishes their real address? Nice cue - if people choose not to believe, then it's their loss.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

BLACKHEART
11-25-2003, 10:16 PM
I do believe your story, Bob. It's just that the posting on EBAY, with no pictures &amp; an asking price of several thousand dollars seems fishy. Then add to that, not replying to my EMAIL, asking for pictures &amp; a history of the past owners, doesn't sound like someone who is logit. He may have the real thing, but had he answered my EMAIL I probably would have placed a bid. I work too hard, for my money, to bid on a pig-in-a-poke. I wish him well...JER