PDA

View Full Version : Queer eye for the straight shot!!

wolfdancer
11-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Probably the hardest shot for me is the long straight shot...it's easy to see both respective contact points, but that doesn't seem to help.
Embarassing in one-pocket, to have ball-in-hand...line up a straight one ...and MISS.
A good player here on the CCB, has given me a few tips to try to find the fault....haven't had the chance to try out his suggestions yet..I'd rather cut a ball 30 degrees than have the in line'r

SPetty
11-21-2003, 04:51 PM
1) This belongs on the pool forum.
2) Who told you?
3) What did they tell you?

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from this forum was to aim at the base of the ball - where it touches the table - on straight shots. If that doesn't work, aim for the tippee top of the ball.

nAz
11-21-2003, 05:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> 1) One of the best pieces of advice I ever got from this forum was to aim at the base of the ball - where it touches the table - on straight shots. If that doesn't work, aim for the tippee top of the ball. <hr /></blockquote>

ya i agree with this Spetty, aim low or high not center.

wolfdancer
11-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks to both you and Naz for your suggestions...I'll be at the room early tomorrow to help set up for the peachtower(sic) tournament, and I'll try 'em out.
The other advice was to check out my alignment over the rail, and start out shooting shorter straight-in shots...gradually lengthening them until I began missing...nothing new,but something I forgot to try.
I'm not sure any of my posts, belong in the pool section...that's fer da reel serious players, an I jes enjoy playing
OR watching a good match

Ralph S.
11-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Hey Wolfdancer, dont be concerned about your skill level buddy. If it has to do with pool, put on the other board. Remember, we all had to be a beginner at one time, and the levels of players that frequent this board are from the beginner all the way to pro.

Chris Cass
11-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Hi Wolfdancer,

I've been saying this for yrs and I'll say it again. "The hardest shot in pool is the Straight-in shot." Why you ask? The opening of the pocket is all the distance you have of clearing it and making the ball. The cut along the pocket gives you the facing to work with.

When I drill I use this shot to increase my consistancy. The shot can be used for many things. Builds focus(shooting with one ball), Burns in changes (in Muscle Memory) such as average stroke pattern, Eye paterns, Pre-shot routine, and especially to find flaws in your stroke.

These things are all a part of improving consistancy in your game. You say your a beginner? Well, let me tell ya something kid. You are far from clueless. Good job!

Regards,

C.C.