PDA

View Full Version : If you're at home tonight baking

Kato
11-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Like me, Rounders is on FX. Started 45 minutes ago but the good parts are yet to come. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~should be playing pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
11-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Kato,

What a great movie, I love the part where he meets up with the college professors playing poker and explains everyone's hand to them better than they could to themselves.

Watching it also, then going out.. to play pool..

Chris Cass
11-21-2003, 11:42 PM
I can see it coming. Cutting yourself making cookies and now your baking? Get out the 1st aid kit. BTW, use a glove when taking them out of the oven. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~has no place in the kitchen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato
11-22-2003, 06:36 AM
Last night I made chocolate and walnut brownies. I'm practicing for Thanksgiving. Messed up the icing. What type of bonehead messes up icing?

Kato~~~didn't let it cool enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Voodoo Daddy
11-22-2003, 07:05 AM
I loved it...I caught the last 1/2 hour of it. John Malkovich has the ability to grab your attention, his role as "Teddy KGB" is awesome. I crack up laughing when he says; "Very Aggressive" in his Russian accent.

Voodoo~~~never cracks OREO'S during cards or pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
11-22-2003, 08:09 AM
I've always thought every character was well thought out and cast great. Matt Damon: "I could go on bustin' you up all night".

Teddy KGB: "Kids' got alligator blood, always hanging around".

You're right Voodoo, great character.

I love in when Grandma (or Gramma or whatever) tell Teddy to "take it back!!!!!!!". Shoot, the guy is down 50K. How much money does he have laying around.

Teddy: "nyet!!!!! He beat me......straight up.....pay him.....pay that man he's money".

Kato

Eric.
11-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Whadda you, Martha Stewart or something? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I caught Rounders too (tells ya about my wild Fri. nite also). Actually, it was the first time I saw it. It was o.k. I started to drift during parts of the movie, checking out the neighborhoods I recognize i.e. Chinatown in NYC, Taj Mahal @ Atlantic City, etc.

Eric

Fred Agnir
11-24-2003, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Like me, Rounders is on FX. Started 45 minutes ago but the good parts are yet to come. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~should be playing pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>Several things I loved about Rounders:

Some of the banter used the same lingo really used in Hold 'Em, and they didn't go on to explain it. So, if you didn't know what "flopping the nut flush" meant, you simply had no idea what they meant.

I liked how the last hand ended with something possible in Hold 'Em, rather than drawing a straight flush in 5-Card Stud (Maverick, Cincinnati Kid).

Damon's character doesn't reveal (I don't recall) what KGB's tell is. It ain't the cookies, whatever it is.

Matt Damon actually plays in the World Series of Poker (as dead money).

Something I didn't like: he is able to tell what every professor is holding. I don't see how everyone was still in the hand to bet enough such that he could tell. One guy, maybe two, but not all of them. What, they all got cards to play?

Fred &lt;~~~ baking tonight

Barbara
11-24-2003, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Whadda you, Martha Stewart or something? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, Kato's been getting in touch with his feminine side lately... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~wonders whether Kato wear an apron with frills or not...

Eric.
11-24-2003, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>

Barbara~~~wonders whether Kato wears an apron with frills or not... <hr /></blockquote>

Barbie,

That was WAY too visual.

Eric &gt;will drink something to wash out that image

wolfdancer
11-24-2003, 10:24 AM
A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do.....I think Kato been watching Julia Childs too much...scary scenario..he'll start shaking, playing pool

Rich R.
11-24-2003, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Kato's been getting in touch with his feminine side lately.<hr /></blockquote>
Kato better watch that stuff. He may have to slap himself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kato
11-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Whoa there women folk around the world. This boy don't wear an apron /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Ok, I do have an oven mitt with a chef head on it but that's cool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Everything in my kitchen is man sytle. So what, a man can't have mixers and blenders and food processors? What could possibly be more manly than a cutting board and a BIG, SHARP KNIFE? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif How about rugged stainless steel mixing bowls? How about a spice rack that measures spices for you? I got one, it's a space saver, I had to install it under a counter top, that's manly, I had to use my power drill /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, so I like to bake cookies? Didn't hear Wes complaining when he got out of the hospital did ya? He was too busy stuffing his face to complain. Nope, don't hear no one at work or my Mom and Pop complaining. Besides, I thought chicks should dig a guy that does more than sit on his butt and expect everything to be served to him?

And another thing. I'm perpetually single. If I didn't learn how to cook I'd be living on Cambell's Chunky Soup, toast, beer, and cereal. Not that it's all that bad mind you.

I prefer to think of myself as self-sufficient. Sure I don't fold laundry very well but I know how to seperate colors. I vaccuum and dust and clean and cook. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato~~~New Age Couch Potato

Barbara
11-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Ooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Touched a nerve, did we??

There, there, now why don't you go and bake yourself a nice apple pie and chill out with some a la mode while watching a good chick flick.

Barbara~~~jes' bein' helpful...

Fred Agnir
11-24-2003, 11:43 AM
I cook. I'm even taking a cooking class this session. Chinese Cooking!

It's a hell of a trip, and you get to cook in a real kitchen. Commercial stoves, a hundred super sharp knives, and... they hired somebody to wash all of our pots and pans!! After class, we have a buffet. Ok, so it's not as good as going to your closest Chinese Restaurant, but it's not bad at all.

Added on the list for Thanksgiving this year: Spring Rolls, Sho Mai, and Crab Rangoon!

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
11-24-2003, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Added on the list for Thanksgiving this year: Spring Rolls, Sho Mai, and Crab Rangoon!
<hr /></blockquote>

That's traditional Thanksgiving fare in Hamiltucky also.

Kato
11-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Barbara, Barbara, Barbara. Don't you read any of my posts? In the "Worst Movies" thread I posted this:

"There has never been a chick flick that didn't suck."

So I can't possibly sit down to watch a chick flick. I also don't like apple pie though I can bake them, pies are easy. Pretty much all cooking is easy if you can read. Pretty much buying cool kitchen stuff is cool too. I'm a manly man, I watch sports.............even when I'm sleeping /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But alas Barbara, you can't touch my nerve. It's already far to frazzled and electric. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Fred, what I've heard about cooking chineese is that you can't do it. Sure you can use the recipes and what not but you're oils won't have the same flavors. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I've never wanted to cook that but I sure do love take out from the place up the street. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

SPetty
11-24-2003, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I've never wanted to cook that but I sure do love take out from the place up the street. <hr /></blockquote>I have recently become addicted to Chinese take-out. (Or maybe it's as Chinese as Tex-Mex is Mexican?) Makes me wonder if msg is addictive...

Kato
11-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Tonight and tomorrow night. Just doing my part to make everyone I know as overweight as I am. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

Barbara
11-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Bake away Kato!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~has to work until midnight tonight...

Eric.
11-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Wow.

I hope you didn't get offended, it was all in jest...

All kidding aside, I love those cooking shows where they magically whip up something from flour and cardboard, then turn it into a delicious entree you cant pronounce. Makes me wish I cooked better.

Eric &gt;will do my baking at Mendoker's Bakery for Thurs.

Kato
11-24-2003, 01:54 PM
You know me Eric. I'm too much of a goofball to take anything seriously. My personality is such that I will do whatever I want to make myself happy. That's something I enjoy but not nearly as much as people's faces when I give them a nice treat /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~thinks nothing beats a chocolate cream pie.

Sid_Vicious
11-25-2003, 07:56 AM
"And another thing. I'm perpetually single. If I didn't learn how to cook I'd be living on Cambell's Chunky Soup, toast, beer, and cereal."

You found my shopping list Kato. The trick is in getting used to the beer in the cereal, after that it's a piece of cake, or cookie. You crack me up guy!!!sid

Kato
11-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Hey Sid, that shopping list sure saves ya some bucks don't it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Remember the scene in "Revenge Of The Nerds" after they did the panty raid and installed all the cameras the guys were watching the video feed eating cereal and Louis poured beer in his cereal. I've heard of it being done but man, it really sounds gross and I love beer!!!!!!!!

Kato

Barbara
11-25-2003, 10:07 AM
We did that a couple times during Bike Week in Daytona.

It's definitely an acquired taste.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
11-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Hell Barbara, they'd ex-communicate you from Bike Week if you weren't drinkin' beer for breakfast! That don't count ;-) sid

Kato
11-28-2003, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>All kidding aside, I love those cooking shows where they magically whip up something from flour and cardboard, then turn it into a delicious entree you cant pronounce.for Thurs. <hr /></blockquote>

I just read this quote Eric and I'm quietly chuckling to myself. I'm thinking about an "Iron Chef" episode I once watched. The contest was with fish. I'm talking like a 10 pound fish that they pulled out of the ocean 6 minutes ago. I don't remember what fishes they each had but I remember the announcers commenting, "I'm not sure why he used that fish, it's so difficult to prepare, so difficult to work with". After that it was a blur. These guys were cutting so fast I put MY fingers in my pocket for protection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~really doesn't watch cooking shows. More like stumbles onto recipes and goes, "HMMMM, does this mean I get to go buy a meat tenderizer" or "Are you kidding me? I'm in the middle of this stinking recipe and I'm out of cumin" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif OH GAWD!!!!!!!!!!

Fred Agnir
11-28-2003, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kato~~~really doesn't watch cooking shows. More like stumbles onto recipes and goes, <hr /></blockquote>My aunt often reminds me (especially during Thanksgiving)that when I was a little kid, the few times there was ever a cooking show (Julia Child or Graham Kerr) I'd be glued to it. I'd even watch cooking over WWWF wrestling. Can you imagine that?

Fred

Kato
11-28-2003, 09:06 AM
As a Pro Wrestling junkie for the last 29 years.........................no Fred, I cannot believe that.

By the way, am I right about the Chinese cooking? About it not tasting the same?

How did your "Traditional Hamiltucky Thanksgiving" turn out yesterday?

Kato~~~whose family had more desserts than actual entree foods /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fred Agnir
11-29-2003, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> As a Pro Wrestling junkie for the last 29 years.........................no Fred, I cannot believe that.<hr /></blockquote>
Hahah. Believe it. Notice that I wrote "WWWF." I remember the first time I ever watched a wrestling match on TV. It must have been 1972 or 1973. Bobo Brazil won the U.S. Heavyweight Championship (not in the WWWF)! I watched through al the non-glory years: Bruno of course, the Executioners (Killer Kowalski and John Studd with masks) the introduction of Lary Zabysko (w/partner Tony Garea)as Sammartino's protoge', Stan "the Lariat" Hansen and the silver dollars in his arm pad breaking Bruno's neck, Bob Backlund beating Superstar Billy Graham, Rocky (the Rock)Johnson's father High Chief Peter Maivia choking Backlund's manager (Arnold Skolen). Man, I watched it all. Muhammed Ali climbing in the ring against Gorilla Monsoon (only to be Airplain Spun and tossed into the crowd). And that was just the 70's and early 80's!

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, am I right about the Chinese cooking? About it not tasting the same?<hr /></blockquote> For the most part. You just can't get the heat high enough at home. But, the Crab Rangoon and Shao Mai were big hits. The General Tso's Chicken was about as good as I've ever ordered. But, there was some love in it that can't be bought for take out.

Fred

Kato
11-29-2003, 10:41 AM
The U.S. Championship would have been a NWA belt. The group I grew up on. Of course I was more into the Harley Race, Tommy "Wild Fire" Rich, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhoads, Barry Windahm, Mike Grahm, Brian Blair, "Hacksaw" Butch Reed. Man we used to go to matches at the Armory downtown. It was great. Up until a few years back I was a regular with my buddies at ECW events. The only reason I even knew about the WWF was that it was in the magazines that I got.

Stick with it Fred, enjoy cooking the Chinese. Personally I think it's great. Even better if your wife likes your cooking. Thanks for the heads up on the oil though, I wasn't sure of the reason.

Kato

Fred Agnir
11-30-2003, 06:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> The U.S. Championship would have been a NWA belt. <hr /></blockquote> Yup. I was just saying that the first pro wrestling I saw was the U.S. Heavyweight title. However, where I grew up, WWWF was the only show on the tube.

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I even knew about the WWF was that it was in the magazines that I got.<hr /></blockquote> Ditto with me as far as the AWA and the NWA go.

Fred