PDA

View Full Version : Help...drills needed

Brent
11-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone. Im a rookie player trying to find my game. I have been playing for about 1.5 years and I think Im doing pretty good. The problem is that Id really like some drills to practise while playing alone...and I really like playing alone cuz the guys I have been training with for the past 6 months are not pushing me any further if u know what I mean. They play ok, but I still dont take the games seriously enough and due to the fact that we are all in college and dont have a lot of money floating around waiting to be played for...well we dont play for money. I know that different drills all depend on skill level and things like that so Il try to explain a bit. My aim is pretty good with long and short shots. I can run a rack every now and then (couple of times a week). The thing that I have problems, problems Im aware of, are long shots with english (who doesnt /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and shots where the OB is close to the rail or against it. Oh and I also have big problems controlling my draws. So Scott and everyone out there...help cuz you all know what it feels like when u pick up the cue and feel like nothing has changed with the last year....or month /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thnx

ras314
11-23-2003, 06:02 PM
A draw drill Scott Lee recomends.

START(
%AH7Z5%B\7X1%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MZ1X1%N[4X1%OJ5M0%PO1Z5%eB4b5
)END

This is a progressive drill, shown on right side of table for right hand players. First stop the cb (center ball hit),then draw back one diamond to original position, then two diamonds, ect. The three balls at the side pocket are shown to give you a leeway for position to leave the cb, ie so as to not require too precise a spot to draw too. Put them at each diamond you are drawing to.

The hit should be soft. Ob should fall into pocket rather than hit the back of the pocket.

When that gets routine start with cb two diamonds from ob and so on.

BlackJack David Sapolis frequently posts a lot of drills on AzBilliards.

Arx
11-24-2003, 05:00 AM
Kle, ma võiks näidata sulle kymmekond harjutust + siis veel mingisugused combod, et ehk harjutuste komplektid päevade kaupa /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Arx

P.S. will not write in estonian anymore. promise.

pooltchr
11-24-2003, 08:06 AM
The book Black Belt Billiards is full of great drills. I'm sure someone more computer literate than I will post a link to the web site for it.

Steve---has to pay someone else to keep his web site updated!

SPetty
11-24-2003, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> ...Black Belt Billiards ... post a link...<hr /></blockquote> Black Belt Billiards (http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/index.html)

Brent
11-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Thnx guys...Im off to practise.

RUNaRAK
11-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Yep,
Black book billiards is a great one, the Pro Book, 99 critical shots(more 14.1) some of Byrnes stuff. You will see a great improvement in your game with this type of practice..

Peace

woody_968
11-24-2003, 08:45 PM
You may want to look at the tight pockets 60 minute workout for 9-ball. Some of the shots on this tape will look very simple (and some wont) but the key is learning to control the cueball and to find the paths to take it through the middle of the table when possible to avoid scratching. The video is not the best production work I have ever seen, but if you actually use the drills he gives you, you will improve.

Barbara
11-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Brent,

Joe Tucker also has a drill book called "Guaranteed Improvemnet" that may not be as extensive as Black Belt Billiards, but runs along the same lines and makes you score yourself to chart your progress. I find the 1/2/3 rail area drills extremely helpful.

You will not find this in a book store. I have some copies, please pm me if you're interested. I would request you pay shipping and I'll send you a copy.

Barbara~~~loves Joe - Becks&amp;her2boys loves him more...

Rod
11-24-2003, 09:45 PM
SPetty,

Thanks for the link--I noticed the note in the Tweaksbury chart for practice, a note for any errors. It says to list the reason why they made a mistake. I think it would be interesting to look at some of those notes and look at the reasons they "thought" the shot did not come off as planned. For me it would be interesting to observe their play and reasons noted. Depending on the shot and what happened I've found what people "think" and what actually happens might be light years apart. Moving into the future to a degree, I wonder if some of those reasons were analized by the player as not a valid or poor reasoning?

I don't have and didn't keep any sort of chart but I think what I thought "then" and what I know now, would be different in a couple of areas, mostly specialty shots but there would be some changes I'm sure.

I learned something new just a few nights ago. It wasn't really new but my old friend Don pointed out why he thought the shot I was shooting was the wrong cueing action. He knows with my stroke the shot should go all day long at a slow effortless speed. When he mentioned what he saw the light bulb come on big time, I remembered. Here I'm hitting the shot too good (if thats possible) and it wasn't going in the hole every time. What we think needs tweaked sometimes.

Rod

dmgwalsh
11-25-2003, 04:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> You may want to look at the tight pockets 60 minute workout for 9-ball. Some of the shots on this tape will look very simple (and some wont) but the key is learning to control the cueball and to find the paths to take it through the middle of the table when possible to avoid scratching. The video is not the best production work I have ever seen, but if you actually use the drills he gives you, you will improve. <hr /></blockquote>

Can you do all of the shots? I was working on them Sunday and a couple of them, I can't get to act the way he does.I can't tell what english he's using. He is using a small table. I wonder if that makes a difference. Dennis

Doctor_D
11-25-2003, 05:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brent:</font><hr> Hi everyone. Im a rookie player trying to find my game. I have been playing for about 1.5 years and I think Im doing pretty good. The problem is that Id really like some drills to practise while playing alone...and I really like playing alone cuz the guys I have been training with for the past 6 months are not pushing me any further if u know what I mean. They play ok, but I still dont take the games seriously enough and due to the fact that we are all in college and dont have a lot of money floating around waiting to be played for...well we dont play for money. I know that different drills all depend on skill level and things like that so Il try to explain a bit. My aim is pretty good with long and short shots. I can run a rack every now and then (couple of times a week). The thing that I have problems, problems Im aware of, are long shots with english (who doesnt /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and shots where the OB is close to the rail or against it. Oh and I also have big problems controlling my draws. So Scott and everyone out there...help cuz you all know what it feels like when u pick up the cue and feel like nothing has changed with the last year....or month /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thnx <hr /></blockquote>

Good morning:

The Billiards Workbook, www.billiardsworkbook.com (http://www.billiardsworkbook.com) , with over 1000 table drills will be available as of January the 5th, 2004! Check it out.

Dr. D.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SPetty
11-25-2003, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doctor_D:</font><hr>The Billiards Workbook, www.billiardsworkbook.com (http://www.billiardsworkbook.com) , with over 1000 table drills will be available as of January the 5th, 2004! <hr /></blockquote>Hello Doctor_D,

Don't forget I'm right near the top of the list for that book! Can't wait to see it. Please autograph it to SPetty, and if you need a vacation to Texas in January, feel free to deliver it yourself! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Doctor_D
11-25-2003, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doctor_D:</font><hr>The Billiards Workbook, www.billiardsworkbook.com (http://www.billiardsworkbook.com) , with over 1000 table drills will be available as of January the 5th, 2004! <hr /></blockquote>Hello Doctor_D,

Don't forget I'm right near the top of the list for that book! Can't wait to see it. Please autograph it to SPetty, and if you need a vacation to Texas in January, feel free to deliver it yourself! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good morning:

I am accepting advance orders, 1st editions should be off the presses before Christmas, with free UPS ground shipping. E-Mail or PM me for more details.

Dr. D.

RUNaRAK
11-25-2003, 10:15 AM
SPetty,

Let us know what you think of the book when you get it. The cost $159.95 is pretty steep for me to pay when I have no knowledge of the book or the author's credibility in the game.
I am not knocking her or the book, just a bit timid of making a purchase of a 5", 1000 page binder for $159.95..
Anyone else making the purchase, let us know if it is worth it. I will stick with the Black Belt billiards for now.

Peace,

SPetty
11-25-2003, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr>$159.95 <hr /></blockquote>Wow! I had no idea! I hate to think I spoke too soon about getting it, but I never in my wildest dreams thought a book of drills would cost that much. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How did you know the price? It's not on the web site...

Rich R.
11-25-2003, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr>$159.95 <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Wow! I had no idea! I hate to think I spoke too soon about getting it, but I never in my wildest dreams thought a book of drills would cost that much. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How did you know the price? It's not on the web site... <hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, I don't know for sure, but I doubt that this price is accurate. You should check with Dr. D.

I will be checking it out, in March, at VF.
I wonder what the price will be, after the CCB discount. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RUNaRAK
11-25-2003, 01:52 PM
<hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, I don't know for sure, but I doubt that this price is accurate. You should check with Dr. D.

I will be checking it out, in March, at VF.
I wonder what the price will be, after the CCB discount. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> </font color> Rich R..
Don't doubt it. I contacted Dr. D myself and she gave me the price. I would not have posted it under assumption. E-mail her yourself if you wish. Yes, $159.95 is the correct price..and the CCBer price.
Right from her own email and I told it as it was...

woody_968
11-25-2003, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr>

Can you do all of the shots? I was working on them Sunday and a couple of them, I can't get to act the way he does.I can't tell what english he's using. He is using a small table. I wonder if that makes a difference. Dennis <hr /></blockquote>

Unfortunatly I quit playing for several years, just got a table at my house and started doing the drills, cant do them all yet. But have learned alot just trying.
His stroke must be much better than mine as I cant make the cueball react as his does yet either.
I think it would have been helpfull for him to give more detail on what english he uses for each shot, but as he states the amount of english he uses with his stroke may not be the same amount of english someone else would have to use.

dmgwalsh
11-26-2003, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr>

Can you do all of the shots? I was working on them Sunday and a couple of them, I can't get to act the way he does.I can't tell what english he's using. He is using a small table. I wonder if that makes a difference. Dennis <hr /></blockquote>

Unfortunatly I quit playing for several years, just got a table at my house and started doing the drills, cant do them all yet. But have learned alot just trying.
His stroke must be much better than mine as I cant make the cueball react as his does yet either.
I think it would have been helpfull for him to give more detail on what english he uses for each shot, but as he states the amount of english he uses with his stroke may not be the same amount of english someone else would have to use. <hr /></blockquote> I was trying them last night. Shot number 4 is a bi***. I'm not sure what english he was using. left, high left. Maybe I'll look it over some more and ask him. I met him recently had some drinks with him and bought a cue from him. If i get some info, I'll post it. Dennis

Rich R.
11-26-2003, 08:44 AM
I defer to Dr. D.?????????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dmgwalsh
11-26-2003, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Brent,

Joe Tucker also has a drill book called "Guaranteed Improvemnet" that may not be as extensive as Black Belt Billiards, but runs along the same lines and makes you score yourself to chart your progress. I find the 1/2/3 rail area drills extremely helpful.

You will not find this in a book store. I have some copies, please pm me if you're interested. I would request you pay shipping and I'll send you a copy.

Barbara~~~loves Joe - Becks&amp;her2boys loves him more... <hr /></blockquote> Where can I get this Joe Tucker book? Dennis

woody_968
11-26-2003, 08:52 AM
I was doing the drills last night and was thinking about your question on different table sizes. Didnt think it would matter but the more I looked at the shots the more I think it does.
If you place the balls at the same diamond positions that he does, because the table is bigger they will be at different angles. Of course if you are like me and play on a big table most of the time, we should still learn these shots from the positions he shows.
I too thought about contacting him on the subject, would be interested in your post if you do talk to him.

dmgwalsh
11-26-2003, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I was doing the drills last night and was thinking about your question on different table sizes. Didnt think it would matter but the more I looked at the shots the more I think it does.
If you place the balls at the same diamond positions that he does, because the table is bigger they will be at different angles. Of course if you are like me and play on a big table most of the time, we should still learn these shots from the positions he shows.
I too thought about contacting him on the subject, would be interested in your post if you do talk to him. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll probably go through the drills a few more times and figure out which ones I need a little help on, before I contact him. If there are any in particular that you need a hint on, let me know. Dennis

woody_968
11-26-2003, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr>

I'll probably go through the drills a few more times and figure out which ones I need a little help on, before I contact him. If there are any in particular that you need a hint on, let me know. Dennis <hr /></blockquote>

Ill pay attention when I do them the next couple nights and let you know. Im sure number 4 is one that was giving me fits too, I can get it around the table, just not as high up on the second rail as he does to truely get back to the middle of the table. Have tried more high english, and more left enlish but can seem to get the angle off the first rail right. Course maybe my stroke just stinks, but I wouldnt want to admit that :P

Rich R.
11-26-2003, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> Where can I get this Joe Tucker book? Dennis <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.roadplayer.com/JTProMain.asp

ras314
11-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Barbara,

I ordered Joe Tuckers "racking secrets" several months ago. Don't think the check has been turned in. Then heard it was out of print. Any help on availability would be appreicated.

Barbara
11-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Sorry but you're s-o-l on that book. It was a great book!! You may be able to find a copy on eBay.

Maybe if enough players said something, Joe would reprint the book.

Barbara~~~has a copy and won't loan it out to ANYONE...

NH_Steve
11-27-2003, 02:09 PM
When I was in college -- and probably shooting about like you do now -- the one drill I came up with that I could always focus on the longest was the simplest of all.

The Three Ball Drill
<ul type="square"> Randomly roll out three balls onto the table. Before you get down to shoot anything, plan all three shots necessary to run the three balls. The whole key to this practice is the 'thinking three balls ahead concept' -- meaning to shoot the first ball to obtain the right approach angle on the second ball so that you will have good position for the third ball. Then get down and try to execute the three ball run just like you visualized it. If you either miss a shot or fall out of the necessary position range to follow your plan then reset all the balls as they were and try again. The key is to reset the balls until you can execute your plan. If you find you simply cannot get the position you need to execute your original plan, that's as important to learn as how to get there successfully, and you'll have to see if you can come up with either a different plan -- or play a safety and then reshuffle the balls and start over.[/list]
You can use any three balls, but if you wanted, you could tailor the balls to whatever game you prefer; use the 7-8-9 if you are practicing 9-Ball; use two lows or two highs and the 8 if you are practicing 8-ball.

I never used special markers (like hole reinforcers) to mark the ball positions, because with three balls you should be able to remember close enough -- and if you can't, this practice might actually help your memory for pattern recognition too.

If you are a weaker player, start with ball in hand for the first shot. If that's too easy, start with a random lie of the cue ball -- but give yourself a 'hand span' if necessary to start with a make-able shot. If you like a challenge, start with the random lie.

In my opinion, more than three balls do not improve this practice routine, they just make it harder to visualize and harder to reset the balls.

Incidentally, I used it alot for straight pool practice where I actually tried to set up a break shot on the third ball -- placing the next three balls in the imaginary triangle of the rack to represent where I wanted to contact the rack on my break shot, then shooting the last ball to open up the next three balls, then pausing to visualize the next three ball sequence before continuing the next 'rack' of three balls. You could of course do the same thing whether your game was 8-Ball or 9-Ball, with the next three balls placed strategically near your last object ball to represent a cluster for you to open up. It is very satisfying to run multiple racks this way -- even if each rack is only three balls!

c NH_Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSAPOLIS
12-03-2003, 01:22 PM
I have several drills posted at:
www.geocities.com/blkjackds12/ (http://www.geocities.com/blkjackds12/)
and I have posted many drills at the azbilliards forum (mostly in the test area, a simple search under "Blackjack" will bring them all up for you).

Good Luck &amp; God Bless

Blackjack David Sapolis
blkjackds12@yahoo.com

woody_968
12-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Very interesting site David /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Will check it out more when I get home.

Scott Lee
12-04-2003, 02:32 PM
NH Steve...I teach the very same drill, as it was taught to me by Jerry Briesath. The only difference, is that you definitely start with b-i-h, you pocket them in numerical order, and you must get EASY position on the other two balls. Just being able to make the shots doesn't count towards the successful completion of the exercise. I teach that when you can complete this drill 15 out of 20 tries, you can move on to throwing out four balls. Very difficult, but definitely improves your postion play quickly!

Scott Lee

NH_Steve
12-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Yes, I should have mentioned it is a position drill more than anything, and if you fall out of position, you don't just hack away -- you reset the balls and try it again. It's all about building your ability to visualize and execute; visualize and execute; visualize and execute /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm flattered that you learned it from teaching legend Briesath and I came up with it myself -- probably in right about 1974. It took me from a high run of about 15 to a high run of nearly 50 in about a year. You could say it worked for me. Unfortunately then I leveled off for the next 30 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif