PDA

View Full Version : cue ball quality

shunkawea
11-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Anybody out there have any input on cue ball "quality"? I'm thinking of replacing the set that came with my table, but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily. Seems to me they are all made out of phenolic, and are all pretty much alike, even if they come from "Belgium." Yes, I do know they wear out, but is one brand or type better than another, in anyone's experience? Thanks.

Steve - Detroit
11-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Good question as I am in the same situation. What is the real difference between Centennials and Super Pros? Is one set better than the other?

Brent
11-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Id go with Super Pros, because I like their design more /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and that super pro CB...sweet.

bluewolf
11-24-2003, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve - Detroit:</font><hr> Good question as I am in the same situation. What is the real difference between Centennials and Super Pros? Is one set better than the other? <hr /></blockquote>

I have heard they are the same balls, centenial put different marking on theirs and charged $100 more for them. We play with the super pros. I have heard the super pro cb is better than the centennial one. Have used the centennial balls at APA matches, so assume they are using centennial cb also. They seem to draw fine, maybe you notice these subtle differences more if you do trick shots?

Laura

JimS
11-24-2003, 06:53 AM
I use the Centennial's because I just like the way they look. I don't know if they are the same ball as the Super Pro's but I do know that both are quality balls.

I use the Red Dot cue ball beacuse that's the prefered ball at tournaments around here and I want to use the same ball I'll be using when I play elsewhere. The Red Dot will play differently than the one that comes with your new ball set no matter which set you get.

I don't think you have to buy the highest priced balls in order to get a good set of balls. The Arimith Pros are probably the best value (IMO &amp; I'm not an expert!) in that they are high quality balls at a reasonable price and are probably available on eBay. You can check prices at other online sellers like Seyberts, Hawleys, Muellers www.poolndarts.com (http://www.poolndarts.com) , and then check ebay.

Have fun.

Steve - Detroit
11-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Thanks all, for the feedback. If they are essentially the same ball I guess I'll shop around for the Super Pros and save myself a few bucks.

Fred Agnir
11-24-2003, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shunkawea:</font><hr> Anybody out there have any input on cue ball "quality"? I'm thinking of replacing the set that came with my table, but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily. Seems to me they are all made out of phenolic, and are all pretty much alike, even if they come from "Belgium." Yes, I do know they wear out, but is one brand or type better than another, in anyone's experience? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>Do you want to replace the "set" or just the cueball?

Two of the best sets available are the Brunswick Centennials and the Aramith Super Pros. They both are manufactured by the Saluc company in Belgium. The Centennials have a dark blue circle on their cueball. The Super Pros have either a red triangle or a red Aramith logo on their cueball, depending on whether you get the standard set or the TV set. I don't know if new standard sets have the Aramith logo or the red triangle, but mine had the triangle.

As far as quality goes, according to Saluc, whatever the Super Pro Aramith cueball is made of, Saluc uses the same exact material for the Brunswick cueball. Tolerances of weight and size normally would be dictated by the customer (i.e., Brunswick and Aramith), as opposed to the manufacturer (i.e., Saluc) so each theoretically could have completely different specifications. I would expect both to require tighter specifications than what the WPA and BCA list.

Of the three cueballs, the red Aramith logo cueball is individually availabe through Mueller's Sporting Goods (http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm/sku/PB99.cfm) The other two balls as far as I know only come with the set. Of course, Fast Larry claims to throw away the cueballs from the Centennial set, so there must be a cache of the blue circle cueballs individually somewhere.

Another option if you're looking for one is the Saluc-made red circle Champion Cueball (also available through Muellers (http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm/sku/31-250.cfm). It's made of slightly different mix of cast phenolic according to Saluc, and it might have more "bounce" (resiliency?). Saluc says that the red circle is made from "carom resin" while the other balls are made from "pocket billiard resin." There seems to be implication that the red circle has more resiliency . It is widely reported by people who have measured (myself included) that the red circle seems to have a nominal weight a tad lighter than the object balls. In the end, whichever the reason or combination thereof, the red circle draws more readily.

Fred

P.S., there is another red circle cueball (not red dot) that is floating around in pool land that is not the red circle Champion ball. It looks and weighs about the same as object balls. I don't believe it's made by Saluc (who makes about 80% of the world's pool/billiard balls)

Fred Agnir
11-24-2003, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve - Detroit:</font><hr> Good question as I am in the same situation. What is the real difference between Centennials and Super Pros? Is one set better than the other? <hr /></blockquote>

I have heard they are the same balls, centenial put different marking on theirs and charged $100 more for them. We play with the super pros. <hr /></blockquote>They're not the same balls. The Centennials have more steps in their manufacture, and therefore have a higher manufacturing cost. The materials may be the same, but that's all that's truly the same.

But, in the end, I do think that the difference in the two for the most of us will be purely aesthetics.

Fred

Fred Agnir
11-24-2003, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr>
I use the Red Dot cue ball <hr /></blockquote>I doubt it. Red Circle probably, but nobody wants to use the Red Dot (or the Green Dot). The latter two are the heavy cueballs from Dynamo. The Red Dot might be the heaviest "same diameter cueball" out there.

Fred

Fred Agnir
11-24-2003, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve - Detroit:</font><hr> Thanks all, for the feedback. If they are essentially the same ball I guess I'll shop around for the Super Pros and save myself a few bucks. <hr /></blockquote>I have yet to find a cheaper price (other than from wholesaler friends) than Billiards Express (http://www.billiardsexpress.com).

Fred

Chris Cass
11-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Yep, Jim uses the red circle cb. Most out here where we live call them red dots. LOL The original red dots I haven't seen for a while but then again, who'd look for them? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~a Fred fan...

JimS
11-24-2003, 11:54 AM
OOPS. My bad. I should have said the red circle cueball and I said the red dot. Poor word selection. Imprecise. Fred has it right...of course /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks CC for correcting my error. JimS needs someone to watch his back /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#### leonard
11-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Jim using the same cueball reminded me of a Worlds Tourney story of Irving Crane. The tourney was to be held in California on Gold Crowns using Centennial balls which Irving practiced using. This didn't require any change in his practice routine because those were the conditions that he played under.

After a five day train ride[Irv didn't fly]. He arrived at the tourney site and they were going to use Belgium balls. They were going to use Centennials or Irv was going to go home on the next train. They switched to the Centennials Balls and Irv played.####

JimS
11-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks #### !!!!

Can you imagine the stink that would be raised if a Tournament Director did that today!?!?

"Welllll.....I changed balls because Earl said to or else"....

Oh my!!!

Love your stories ####. Keep'm comin...happy t'givin too.