PDA

View Full Version : Murrey, Craftmaster and Imperial

MD_SPEED
11-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Are these tables worth considering for casual play at home?

Wally_in_Cincy
11-24-2003, 10:52 AM
I have seen some folks here who do not like Murrey tables at all. Don't know about the others.

But for "casual" play ..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <Wally shrugs>...depends on your definition of "casual" I guess.

MD_SPEED
11-24-2003, 11:11 AM
my other options are Kasson or Proline. These seem to be a little more reasonably priced compared to Brunswick and Olhausen.

JimS
11-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Check to see if they have 1" slate...or any slate at all. Many decent home tables get by with 7/8" slate. Crawl under them to see if they have strong construction...good braces to hold up the slate. Do they have regular pockets(called drop pockets) or a ball return system. If they have a return system is it noisy...and do the balls tend to get hung up anywhere? What are the drop pockets made of? Leather is preferable...or something really durable...no carboard stuff. What cushions do they use? There are good cushions and crummy cushions. The rubber, the height, the angle can all be right or wrong. Do corners and places where things come together fit well or are their gaps?

As far as I know the brands you have listed are all decent mid-range tables that make good models and cheap models. Look them over carefully to see how well they go together.

How big are the pocket openings? The corner pockets shouldn't be over 5 1/4 in wide and that's really big.

I still think you need to find a table mechanic or a friend, or a friend of a friend to help you shop. But....if you cover the topics I've mentioned above, and any that others suggest that maybe I"ve forgotten, and then go with your instincts regarding the people you are buying from , you'll be ok...maybe /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

Cueless Joey
11-24-2003, 12:35 PM
Murreys are kaka.
A friend of mine bought their top of the line commercial model.
It played kaka. The rails made a funny sound and it always banked short.

MD_SPEED
11-25-2003, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. Looks like it's down to Olhausen or Proline.