PDA

View Full Version : Up date on previous one-pocket post

Pelican
11-24-2003, 08:42 AM
It is harder on a 9' table. My step-son ran all over me yesterday. Anybody know of a good source of stratgy for one-pocket?

Mike H
11-24-2003, 10:33 AM
I like the Accu-Stats matches.....you can get them at www.accu-stats.com (http://www.accu-stats.com) . If you want to learn moves, traps, and strategy, I recommend watching matches with Nick Varner, Cliff Joyner, Shannon Daulton, and some old-school movers like Strawberry Brooks and Steve Cook. If you're lucky, one of your local poolrooms rents match videos out at a reasonable rate. I wouldn't buy the instructional videos, they seem to pack too little punch for the money. The few I would recommend, however, are Grady's videos "The Finishing Touch" and "Only Kicks", and also Willie Jopling's "Ultimate One Pocket Tape." Good one-pocket books are tough to come by, but Eddie Robin's books are very good but carry a heavy price tag.

Pelican
11-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Hey Mike, man I 'preciate the info. Thanks a ton

Troy
11-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Upscale One Pocket by Jack Koehler is a good starter book and should be available thru Amazon for about %15.00...

Troy

Pelican
11-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Mike: Found "One-Pocket Shots, Moves and Strategies: As Taught by the Game's Greatest Players" Eddie Robin;Hardcover on Amazon. Thanks again

Troy: Thanks for the input. Will be on look out for that one too.

JimS
11-24-2003, 08:23 PM
You found the title but missed the notation that it is out of print and unavailable.

Pelican
11-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Nope, got one from Amazon. Used but I don't care long as it is in half way decent condition. Description says cover has a water ring (I'm guessin' a beer bottle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) but other than that OK and inside is mint. Said should be shipped by 26th.

SPetty
11-25-2003, 06:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Nope, got one from Amazon. Used ...<hr /></blockquote>Hi Pelican,

If you don't mind my asking, would you mind sharing how much you paid for that book? It's been going for - was it over $200? - on eBay...

Pelican
11-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Buck seventy five + 3.75 shipping. It's signed too, if that helps value. My son said he has seen them go for mid twos to near three on eBay.

NH_Steve
11-27-2003, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Buck seventy five + 3.75 shipping. It's signed too, if that helps value. My son said he has seen them go for mid twos to near three on eBay. <hr /></blockquote>I think they are all signed -- but either printed or stamped /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Still neat, though.

Five keys to building your best One Pocket game:
<ul type="square"> Play within yourself i.e. learn to select shots that fall within your own personal comfort zone of execution. Of course the more you play, the more comfortable you get &amp; the more you learn what shots work for you and what shots don't. Speed control is key in One Pocket, since this is one game a miss can either reward you, or cost you the game -- depending on whether you shoot with the right speed. Usually that's pocket speed, but not always. Control the rock -- if you can't control 'whitey', you can't win against better players, and that is that! Sharpen your banking skills -- if you can't bank accurately from all over the table with good speed and a well behaved cue ball, you're not at the top of your One Pocket game -- yet /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Learn to play the score -- Why? To give yourslef the best chance to win, that's why. If you don't learn to play the score, you'll lose too many games that you shoulda won, or you'll go down too often without giving yourself a fighting chance /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/list]
c NH_Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go get 'em !!!

Pelican
11-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Steve. Thanks for the advice. Can you elborate on "learn to play the score". Am not familiar with this term. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks, Pel

NH_Steve
11-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Traditionally it's the practice of pushing extra balls up table and out of play if you have a significant lead (say 3 or 4 balls). The idea being to make it more difficult for your opponent to run several balls to catch up to you.

The converse when you are behind is to try to keep the balls in play, so you have a chance to run a bunch and catch up.

Experienced One Pocket players can be very disciplined in this tactic -- but then again some players win by near constantly gunning for their pocket. Depends on whether you are naturally a 'shooter' or a 'mover' I guess. Me? I must be a mover, 'cuz I'm sure not a shooter -- although I do bank well /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pelican
11-28-2003, 08:01 AM
Thanks. I see what you mean. With increased age and deminishment in the eyesight I need to work at being a mover also. Like you say, I got to work on my banking ability. This is where my step-son has a real advantage over me. Really appreciate the conversation. Pel