PDA

View Full Version : Recent Experience With Dominant Eye Placement

Sid_Vicious
11-24-2003, 02:42 PM
I've been struggling with my long table length draw shots of late and think I have discovered the answer. If you watch Earl S. play you'll notice that he makes a definite effort to shift his head over to the inside of his cue, aligning his dominent eye as directly over the shaft, maybe even farther than needed. Anyway I remembered that fact early last week and put it to practice and I got my draw(power) stroke back after all this time of looking like a newbie with misses. My middle game was working with the head generally over the cue, but even that part has jumped up dramitacally with the more determined placement of my dominent eye over the shaft. Somebody posted recently that they'd lost their draw stroke, so I felt I should pass along what's working for me...sid~~~feels odd having my head so far over to the left, but it works for me

Tom_In_Cincy
11-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Sid,
Do me a favor, and go back to your original head placement and see if your accuracy is still a problem.

Just a quick check.

Sid_Vicious
11-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Ok, heading out to the table to hit some lengthy draw/stop shots. Nice having a week to play w/o work getting in the way ;-) sid

Sid_Vicious
11-24-2003, 03:09 PM
You're embarrassing me Tom. I hit three strokes, first was a miscue so it didn't count for the accuracy thing. The next two drew like a pro using a head position that felt familiar and natural, not isolated and dominent eye restricted, DOH! Maybe I was not exactly on target with the eye position trick, ya think? The confidence factor was worth a day of better than normal success though. sid

Tom_In_Cincy
11-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Sid,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I have long believed that if you "FOCUS" on a problem (your long draw shots) that anything you do that shows improvement to the problem will eventually get the CREDIT.

But, with recent readings of "Golf is not a game of perfect" and "The inner game of Tennis", I have come to believe that the fact that you pay attention to a problem and FOCUS on it is the BIGGEST factor.

How many times did you miss the shot while making adjustments? Weren't you practicing the shot over and over? Repeating the mechanics, just changing little things? like follow thru? head placement? pre-shot routine? stoke pattern? Looking at the base of the OB or some little item like that?

This is ADDRESSING the problem. Good for you, and your reward? a new confidence level for a shot that was giving you problems.

Many times I've gone to the table trying to figure out why I missed a shot or didn't get the cue ball action I desired, and, after shooting it 1000 times, I finnally figured it out.. I'm NOT a good player... just analytic.

JimS
11-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Same results from me Sid. I have, many times now, thought that the reason I was having problems with one shot or another shot was head placement...not having my dominant eye over the shaft. Left handed and right eyed. Handicapped! Well Duh!

Lately I've just worked on getting my nose over the cue, like Allison, and as you found out, everything is working itself out. Like Tom said. I miss because I'm not that dammed good! But...I'm gettin there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...and it ain't 'cause of the eye placement. (CC is grinning now...TOLD YA SO!) ...it's 'cause of the stroke!(where have I heard that?!)

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

woody_968
11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Sid, I was messing around today having a little trouble with draw and alot of trouble with follow. Something in my setup just felt horrible but didnt know what.
I finally got the feeling that my right sholder was way to far to the right and I was "hunching" my sholders to try to line up.
Started making sure when I sighted the ball my right sholder was in line with the target and all of a sudden I got my stroke back and started running out from everywhere.
Is it possible that by moving your head to the left you actually just got a better forehand - cue - sholder alignment?
Dont know if this could have any bearing, just a thought.