PDA

View Full Version : Sledgehammer OR Predator Break King

SteveFromNY
11-24-2003, 04:19 PM
I know its mostly personal preference as the Search button has informed me but for those that have tried both, which do you prefer? recently broke the joint on my Predator BK for some reason and was considering buying the sledgehammer but I'm not too sure about the phenoilic tip (seems I miscue a bit more often than I would on the predator) Thanks

buddha162
11-24-2003, 04:57 PM
I've recently purchased a sledgehammer wanna-be (Brianna break cue), with the same phenolic ferrule/tip unit. It works very well for my break, since I prefer to park the cueball center-table (and thus aim to impart no english on the cueball).

For people who like to draw the cueball back to the headrail or to the side, a full phenolic tip might be a little harder to control.

Another thing: the tip doesn't hold chalk very well (obviously!), and this leaves a noticable smudge of chalk-dust on the table where the cue contacts the cueball.

Roger

Sid_Vicious
11-24-2003, 05:40 PM
You sound like me, you break with control more that action via english. I have a mod on my break today though, hit about 4 o'clock 1-1/2 tips away from center and off to the right side, a diamond off the long rail, diamond up from the short rail, no body surge, pure forearm stroke only. The CB squats well and the pack moves a lot, cuz I'm hitting about 10% or more reduced maximum power of my abilities, less depending on the speed of the table that day. Do I have a phenolic break tip, no. Yet I do use am X-H talisman and use no chalk(sometimes, depending on the stress level), 'bout the same thing, and I can't remember the last time I miscued on a break stroke. I still feel that hammer breaks are over rated, accuracy, sinking ONE ball and making whitie squat CONSISTENTLY is it. I'd not worry about the phenolic tip and if I did miscue more, then I'd fix my break stroke. If you do insist on using a powerful cut break, then go away from the phenolic, in fact I'd break off the wall cuz your not going to see any appreciable difference with a "made for breaking cue" using a cut break. You lose the energy that you paid for in the break cue when you get that far off center anyway, may as well be using a 1-piece Dufferin(IMO), no insult to Dufferin intended...sid

Ralph S.
11-24-2003, 07:43 PM
My McDermott does fine. As far as breaking goes, I feel my break is the best part of my nineball game. Actually have sunk nineball four consecutive breaks. No scratches or cb off of table either. So, my personal opinion is that those specialty break cues are basically all hype.

Fred Agnir
11-24-2003, 08:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> I know its mostly personal preference as the Search button has informed me but for those that have tried both, which do you prefer? recently broke the joint on my Predator BK for some reason and was considering buying the sledgehammer but I'm not too sure about the phenoilic tip (seems I miscue a bit more often than I would on the predator) Thanks <hr /></blockquote> They both do the job well. My preference is for the BK for a few reasons. It sounds better. I can play with it as well as shoot with it. And if for some reason the BCA decides to tighten up or re-address the vague tip material wording, the phenolic tip idea might be destined for the bit bucket.

Fred

JimS
11-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Bit bucket.....bit bucket?? Oh! as in Bull Of The Woods humor.

SPetty
11-25-2003, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Bit bucket.....bit bucket?? Oh! as in Bull Of The Woods humor. <hr /></blockquote>Well.... I understand "bit bucket" a lot more than I understand "Bull Of The Woods humor"...

And Predator Break King is a new one for me - is that a new cue from Predator?

JimS
11-25-2003, 12:31 PM
All us old farts will remember the Bull Of The Woods comic that ran in the daily paper for years...SEVERAL years ago. It featured a foreman and workers in a machine shop setting with the foreman being the primary character...The Bull. At least that's how I remember the whole set-up. It stopped running maybe in the early 60's but it was good commentary on life in "the shop". I just saw the other day where there is a book of those cartoons available from Lee Valley Tools catalog or on line.

Eric.
11-25-2003, 02:37 PM
I've tried both (I play with the BK) and think they both work. I know that sounds vague but I feel it has alot to do with the person breaking meaning that if you have good technique, it's not gonna make much of a difference with either one.

I like the BK not becuse it hits harder than another cue, but I feel like I get a more controlled hard break. I feel I get enough power in my break, so I look for less "happy Cueball" from my set-up.

Eric &gt;opinions stated are not those of this Website. Any and all correspondence should be directed to the parties involved. Cross on the green, not in between.