PDA

View Full Version : question for the vertically challenged

2shiny2bshy
11-24-2003, 08:24 PM
I have never been lucky enough to see professional women in action and I am curious about whether it is normal to wear 3 inch heels when playing pool. I am 5'3" and have been playing in them for 2 years. I have a solid stance and my performance is starting to pay off but I am just wondering if it will hinder my chances of getting even better. I have tried playing in sneakers but I find it uncomfortable at best with my knuckles sliding across the rail on my stroke and my elbow elevated more than it should be.

Any input would be most appreciated

Josee

Detroitgirl
11-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Josee,

I play on the WPBA Tour, and I am also only 5'3. Because of our dress code, I wear shoes that have only about 1 or 1 1/2 inch heel. Even if your shoes are 'chunky heels,' it may still affect your balance (if you have to 'tippy toe' for a jump shot) and timing. On the other hand, it allows you to use the bridge less because you can reach more.

So far, I have not seen any women on tour who wear really high heels...

Rod
11-24-2003, 09:58 PM
Josee,

IMO if you can stay balanced, then go for it. Having a solid stance is a major factor, so you be the judge. I'll assume these shoes are special, just for playing pool? It is an advantage to be a taller person, but not real tall. It sure helps to be able to reach those longer reach shots. No matter what, remember most of the women on the pro tour aren't very tall. They do however learn to use the bridge very well and some play off handed. Learning both will be a big benefit in years to come.

Rod

2shiny2bshy
11-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Thank you for the replies, I think I will try to find a happy medium with a smaller heel like you suggested. I haven't quite reached the point of learning the jump shot yet, I'm still working on full cue ball control (isn't everyone!) But I have been working on the masse as well and I know full well my balance on tippy-toe needs work.

Where do I find the rules for dress code in WPBA?

Josee

Nostroke
11-25-2003, 11:52 AM
Alice?-Did you see Ellie this past weeK? Those heels were pretty high. They became a problem because the tables were a little lower than those where she plays and she couldn't get down right over the ball. Live and learn

CarolNYC
11-25-2003, 12:43 PM
ha ha ha ha
Yo,
Candi wears heels and doesnt have a problem and Ming is a helluva shooter with the bridge-if it works, wear it!
Good luck!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Detroitgirl
11-26-2003, 01:38 AM
Josee,

You can probably get a copy of the WPBA dress code directly from the office. Try contacting them through the WPBA website : wpba.com

Good luck!

To Carol and nostroke, I guess you're right about some of the other players and their shoes... apparently, there are more midgets on tour than I thought! ha ha

CarolNYC
11-26-2003, 04:29 AM
LMAO-
Alice,
If this is you, Thank you for telling me"Whatever you do, go out there and have fun"
Have a nice Thanksgiving!:)