PDA

View Full Version : Wraps on cues?

dsb0t
11-24-2003, 11:23 PM
Hey, thx for all the post on the case topic, alot of great info /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Over the past few months I decided I want to improve at pool (been playing for awhile now, but nothing serious). Question is, I decided to purchase a new Joss cue, and I am wondering how long does irish linen last before it needs to be re-wrapped or maintained? I am asking because I don't believe there are many shops that provide this service (anyone know any good shops in Toronto, Ontario in Canada /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Do joss owners usally send there cues to joss to be re-wrapped? (Im kind of scared of something happening to the cue in the mail /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif) Thanks in advance for the info!

Rich R.
11-25-2003, 04:55 AM
As long as you don't abuse it, a linen wrap will last for years. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Any good repair shop should be able to re-wrap a cue, you don't have to send it to Joss, but you could.

Although I know it is not real close to Toronto, you may want to consider a Layani cue. Thierry Layanni, in Quebec, is a fellow CCB'er and he makes a great cue. His cues are certainly worth consideration.
http://www.layanicues.com/

Scott Lee
11-29-2003, 10:25 AM
A quality made cue will have the linen wrap professionally applied. Short of abuse, it should never unravel or break, even, like JimS said, after years. I have 40 yr old cues, with the original Cortland linen wrap, still in perfect condition. As far as your shipping question...if you are worried about it, spend a few extra dollars, and FedEx it overnight. Then it is guaranteed.

Scott Lee

Sid_Vicious
11-29-2003, 10:52 AM
I watched a cue builder re-wrap an older McDermott of mine once, the old linen had become impregnated with gung and a friend bought the re-wrap for me as a birthday gift. This guy talked to us as he was doing the job, casually doing his thing without a real detailed interest, and that wrap came out perfect, all in the timeframe of a general discussion, maybe 15 minutes. If your wrap does get to a point that you consider getting it redone,,,you should really have little problems getting a great replacement. I switched from white on black to black on white for a change, and I liked the results. As far as worrying about shipping, I too suggest 2-day or overnight and I'll tell you why. I was told that the UPS(and I assume Fedex) warehouse people unloading trucks use cylindrical packages to pry jams loose. I once had a barrel on an adult air rifle bent in shipment, and I'd wager that it was either pry'd with or stacked upon. The faster you have it shipped, the less time it is in eye sight of these "time pressured people" to hurriedly abuse your cherished item as a pry bar...sid

JimS
11-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Sid that was a very consoling post. I'm sure he feels better now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif