PDA

View Full Version : Birdseye Maple or Cocobolo??

onepocketking
11-25-2003, 12:36 AM
I am going to order a custom cue from Keith Josey, but I cant decide on wether to get an all birdseye cue or an all cocobolo cue. I am not worried about looks, my question is, which one do you believe plays better and why?

bluewolf
11-25-2003, 08:24 AM
What does your cuemaker say? When I ordered my custom, he told me all the pros and cons of the different woods,although I do not remember all of it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

11-25-2003, 10:50 AM

Fred Agnir
11-25-2003, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketking:</font><hr> I am going to order a custom cue from Keith Josey, but I cant decide on wether to get an all birdseye cue or an all cocobolo cue. I am not worried about looks, my question is, which one do you believe plays better and why? <hr /></blockquote>What do you mean "all birdseye" or "all cocobolo" cue? No wrap? Just one solid butt?

Fred

BLACKHEART
11-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Think about a hammer made from steel, &amp; try to imagine the feel &amp; sound it makes when you hit an anvil. Now imagine hitting the anvil with an aluminum hammer. Different sound &amp; feel. Cocobolo is 3 times more dense than Maple. IN MY OPINION, the Cocobolo produces a more SOLID feeling hit. The Maple will give you a somewhat SOFTER feeling hit. Cocobolo is my personal favorite wood. I've never made a Cocobolo Q that I didn't love,(I even named my Yorkie "COCOBOLO PRINCESS". "COCO" for short). Even when you're cutting it, there's a smell that reminds me of sweet pipe tobacco. I've talked to a large number of cuemakers who agree with me that BACOTE is the best playing of all woods. AGAIN THIS IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE &amp; MY OPINION...JER

Fred Agnir
11-25-2003, 02:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> Think about a hammer made from steel, &amp; try to imagine the feel &amp; sound it makes when you hit an anvil. Now imagine hitting the anvil with an aluminum hammer. Different sound &amp; feel. Cocobolo is 3 times more dense than Maple. IN MY OPINION, the Cocobolo produces a more SOLID feeling hit. The Maple will give you a somewhat SOFTER feeling hit. Cocobolo is my personal favorite wood. I've never made a Cocobolo Q that I didn't love,(I even named my Yorkie "COCOBOLO PRINCESS". "COCO" for short). Even when you're cutting it, there's a smell that reminds me of sweet pipe tobacco. I've talked to a large number of cuemakers who agree with me that BACOTE is the best playing of all woods. AGAIN THIS IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE &amp; MY OPINION...JER <hr /></blockquote>I trust this response isn't to me.

BLACKHEART
11-25-2003, 03:19 PM
No Fred, it's just a response to the original post. Thought I might have some input, that could help. But if I know this board, there are those who will pounce on every word, without reading the entire posting &amp; not excepting the fact that some people just want to help. I think that YOUR posts are in the helpful vain. Keep up the good work...JER

UWPoolGod
11-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Someone told me that Cocobolo is poisonous. Didn't know if that was true. Said that some makers charge more for having to use better HEPA respirators and the health issue. Is this true or someone messing with me? He was very sincere about it.

Fred Agnir
11-25-2003, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Someone told me that Cocobolo is poisonous. Didn't know if that was true. Said that some makers charge more for having to use better HEPA respirators and the health issue. Is this true or someone messing with me? He was very sincere about it. <hr /></blockquote>Cocobolo dust has been reported to cause allergic reactions in the respitory system as well as poison ivy-like dermatitis by those who happened to be allergic.

That's one reason I'll never be a cuemaker (as if I ever wanted to be one). I have severe allergies (worse than most anyone have ever heared of) to many tree pollens, so I already am on the wrong page to start. On a scale from 1-4, I scored a 6 on some of the woods. Higher than my ear/nose/throat doctor has ever seen. I guess don't need to be working with "the most allergenic reported wood ."

Fred

BLACKHEART
11-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Once again Fred is correct &amp; moves on to the next round. Nearly all of the exotic wood used in the making of Qs has toxic dust...JER

Popcorn
11-25-2003, 05:14 PM
I believe Scruggs now cores all his cues now, ( At least that is what he told me not that long ago ), so the wood used in the cue is not as critical in a Scruggs cue.

buddha162
11-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Hello Jerry,

Is it true that Cocobolo is less stable than Maple? I've heard from several sources that Coco is more stable, not less so.

How does Purple Heart rate in terms of stability, and what's your opinion on its playability?

Thanks,
roger

griffith_d
11-25-2003, 05:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Someone told me that Cocobolo is poisonous. Didn't know if that was true. Said that some makers charge more for having to use better HEPA respirators and the health issue. Is this true or someone messing with me? He was very sincere about it. <hr /></blockquote>

I wear a dust mask when sanding any wood. The large particles of wood, compared to air, is harmful at all times, just some woods are worse than others.

In a good shop, there will be room filters, along with the power tool vacuum. I must admit I cannot afford the room filtration system, but the shop vac on my planer or band saw is priceless when it comes to your lungs.

Also, Cobobolo is my favorite wood,...all my cues have some in it.

Griff

BLACKHEART
11-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Buddha, as for woods that are or are not stable, all I can tell you is, I have personally only one wood, that gave me repeated problems. That wood is ZEBRAWOOD. I will not use it again. I consider COCOBOLO &amp; Ebony 2 of the MOST stable of all the woods. As for Purpleheart,I have made about a dozen Qs using this wood &amp; never had a problem. Like Cocobolo, it does seem to darken with age. It is one odd wood. It's brown til you cut it &amp; then it turns purple when its cut &amp; exposed to the sunlight...JER

bluewolf
11-25-2003, 07:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I believe Scruggs now cores all his cues now, ( At least that is what he told me not that long ago ), so the wood used in the cue is not as critical in a Scruggs cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Mine was cored to the desired weight with no additional weight added. It is 17.2. He did say that if I wanted it heavier, he could put some weight bolts in it at no xtra charge. I would not want to do that though. I like it perfect the way it feels and shoots.

Laura

Rich R.
11-26-2003, 05:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> But if I know this board, there are those who will pounce on every word, without reading the entire posting &amp; not excepting the fact that some people just want to help. <hr /></blockquote>
Jer, never forget that, for every person who pounces on your every word, there are twenty others who appreciate you experience and knowledge. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

buddha162
11-26-2003, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I consider COCOBOLO &amp; Ebony 2 of the MOST stable of all the woods. <hr /></blockquote>

That's exactly what I've been told. Thanks for answering my questions!

Roger

JimS
11-26-2003, 06:15 AM
Jer, I pounce on your every word too! You and Q guy and the other people with knowledge to share. Ah preeciate hit!

cycopath
11-26-2003, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr>Like Cocobolo, it does seem to darken with age. <hr /></blockquote>

I have a Joss that looks like ebony until you look really close, then you realize it's cocobolo. I wondered if the wood darken with age.
That's good to know. Thanks Jerry.