PDA

View Full Version : One of those nights...

MarkUrsel
11-25-2003, 05:46 AM
Last night I left work to head up to league pool. I walked to the subway. The platform was incredibly crowded, and not a train in sight, so I went back up to the street and walk over a block to catch a bus.

Not a bus in sight. People standing around bitchin' and moanin' about no buses. So taxi it is.

A cab is dropping off a half a block away. I step onto the street and walk straight at it, holding up my arm to hail it. He pulls away, goes around me and speeds away.

It's back to the subway, and by now, it's not crowded, so off I go. When the match starts, we have one extra player, and of course, my luck holds, and I'm the player who's sitting out the night.

On the other hand, as I'm sitting there watching the match, it's announced that Mike Massey is in the house showing and signing his new book. I go over, talk to him a little and buy one of his books. Very nice man.

I talked a few people into buying his book as well, and one thing leads to another and he's down to one last book. I said "If I sell that last book for you, do you want to play a game or two?" He says "Sure."

I did. And then got to play three games of 9-ball against one of the greatest trick shot artists in the world! Yes indeed, it turned into a good night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-25-2003, 06:34 AM
Sounds like a scene from a movie, I envy you for getting that chance. I have to add, I'd personally be high on it for a week or two. Did Mike ask if you wanted to play for anything???sid

MarkUrsel
11-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Nope, no wager. I'd have happily bought him a drink, but he doesn't drink and the coffee was on the house.

It was definitely something to put into the ol' mental file cabinet for safekeeping.

UWPoolGod
11-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Did you win the games?

MarkUrsel
11-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Lost all 3. Had a good chance in the first.

CarolNYC
11-26-2003, 04:32 AM
Being from NY, I can envision everything your saying-
Wow, good for you and if it isnt a scene from a movie, it should be!
Way to go!
Carol

JimS
11-26-2003, 06:25 AM
Living out here amongst the corn stalks I can't invision a dammed thing you are saying! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
11-26-2003, 07:03 AM
Ha Ha Ha hA,
Well,Jim, now you have me envisioning the drive from Chicago to Peoria-I think cornfields are beautiful, except Im ascared of the "Children of the Corn"ha ha ha ha /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif-if your ever in NY, I will make it a point to take you on some mass transit-it'l be like National Lampoons trip to Wallyworld!
Have a nice Thanksgiving!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
11-26-2003, 08:35 AM
I know a born and bred Texas boy that recently made a trip to New York. In addition to seeing the Statue Of Liberty, he excitedly told about "riding the trains" and "riding the subway"! Not something we have around here... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-26-2003, 11:15 AM
That's pretty cool.

A little off-topic, but the captain of my Monday league team met his future wife at a Tom Rossman exhibition at college. That was 10 years ago. Then one night at the tavern "Trick shot magic" came on tv. My captain hollers "Hey I know that guy" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ok I'll shut up /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cycopath
11-26-2003, 05:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Then one night at the tavern "Trick shot magic" came on tv. My captain hollers "Hey I know that guy" <hr /></blockquote>

I've done that...

with America's Most Wanted.

(kidding) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dg-in-centralpa
11-26-2003, 09:19 PM
What a thrill! No one comes to my area anymore(Amish and chocolate country). Although I found out that some of the legends from the 50's and 60's(Mosconi and Crane at least) used to come to town to play my second cousin. I played Rossman at VF last year and I was thrilled even though I lost.
DG

JimS
11-27-2003, 06:33 AM
I didn't know you were in Peoria! Wish I'd have gotten over there and met ya, Peoria is just 40 miles from my house.....but that was when I wasn't posting or even lurking. Hell, when I took my leave from the ccb and pool in general you were having your picture taken with the pros in NY and now I come back and you are one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
11-27-2003, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Hell, when I took my leave from the ccb and pool in general you were having your picture taken with the pros in NY and now I come back and you are one! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Jim, you have it all backwards.
It was the pros having their picture taken with Carol. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
11-27-2003, 07:06 AM
Hey Spetty,
Visiting the Statue of Liberty and ,also, Ellis Island is a wonderful trip-maybe one day many of you will come to NY and we'll all do that!(wishful thinking)
Have a nice Thanksgiving! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol:):):)

CarolNYC
11-27-2003, 07:08 AM
What a sweetie!
Dont worry Jim,
We'll be there again in March, I think-hopefully we'll hook up-I believe in fate!
Until we meet,which will definitely be one day,
Truly yours,
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
11-27-2003, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It was the pros having their picture taken with Carol <hr /></blockquote>
UMMM, I think you have it wrong-it was Carol taking her picture with Rich and Cathy /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol:):):)