PDA

View Full Version : "Budget" Break Cue?

FearlessInc
11-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Alright, we have heard of the Predator Break King and the Sledgehammer Cues and probably many others.
Well, I'm not made of money /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and I was wondering, what could be used as a reasonable cheap but decent/good break cue? I would think a cue with a hard tip would be great (of course I don't know of the other characterstics) so basically, I'm just wondering can *almost* any playing cue be made into a break cue if you just add a hard tip to it?

In addition, I have a Fiberglass Halex Titanium Cue (it was my first one when starting out) and would it be possible to change that tip to a hard tip and be used as a breaking cue only or would that destroy the cue? I thought only the tip would be effected and not the cue but...
Thanks!

Harold Acosta
11-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Take your Halex cue, put on a water-buffalo tip and "break" away. No need to purchase another break cue.

SRpool
11-26-2003, 12:15 AM
I know of a couple that are reasonably priced, between $75-$200. The Players jump/break works pretty well. If you like the feel of the tip similar to the sledgehammer you should try the bunjee break/jump or the Tornado break/jump.

Fleece3
11-26-2003, 04:37 AM
Yep,

I use a J&J break/jump cue and I am very happy with it. You can check them out at http://www.jjcue.com/jjpage2.htm. I have the 4410. You can get these for under $100. And they are EXCELLENT. A buddy just got the SP break/jump and loves it. I, and I would suggest you do to, immediately replace the tip with a Talisman extra hard tip.

Rich R.
11-26-2003, 04:50 AM
The most reasonably priced break cues you can find, are the cues on the wall at your local pool room. They ain't perfect, but the price is right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In addition to others name brands mentioned, you can pick up any inexpensive cue, you can find, possibly a used one, put a hard tip on it and use it for breaking. This includes the old cue, you already have.

pooltchr
11-26-2003, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FearlessInc:</font><hr> Well, I'm not made of money /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have a Fiberglass Halex Titanium Cue. change that tip to a hard tip and be used as a breaking cue. <hr /></blockquote>

That seems like the best solution to your question.

Fred Agnir
11-26-2003, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FearlessInc:</font><hr> I'm just wondering can *almost* any playing cue be made into a break cue if you just add a hard tip to it?<hr /></blockquote>Yup, I think so. Add a hard tip. For leather tips, I'd suggest a black Diamond if you can find one. Or a compressed hard W/B. Or you could buy a phenolic tip.

Fred

FearlessInc
11-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Oh alright, then I was right. Because I remember hearing somewhere that people breaking with their playing cue aren't actually hurting or killing their shaft/cue but the tip, so I thought if it doesn't really affect the shaft/cue and is only the cue, then I could take my old cue and use it as a breaking cue after replacing the tip, which is what I'm most likely to do right now.

I'll bring my halex titanium to a billiards shop and get the tip replaced... Some have already suggested some hard tips, any others? Hopefully some reasonable price one or etc... Wondering how much the tip and the changing of it would cost... Hoping it won't be too much.

Seem many are pointing at W/B (Water Buffalo).
Where could I get that (or would it be available at the shop maybe? I'll probably visit a shop next week but if I could get my answer now, would be great)

pooltchr
11-26-2003, 01:07 PM
The WB is the one I use on my break cue. Triangle is another possibility. Most cue repair guys will have one or both of these on hand. Expect to pay $10-$15 for the job.

JohnBarton
11-26-2003, 10:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fleece3:</font><hr> Yep,

I use a J&amp;J break/jump cue and I am very happy with it. You can check them out at http://www.jjcue.com/jjpage2.htm. I have the 4410. You can get these for under $100. And they are EXCELLENT. A buddy just got the SP break/jump and loves it. I, and I would suggest you do to, immediately replace the tip with a Talisman extra hard tip. <hr /></blockquote>

Replacing the tip with a full leather tip absolutely destroys the breaking and jumping properties that the cue was designed for. This isn't good advice in my opinion. The cheapest alternative for this guy would be to put a Bunjee Tip on his Halex cue. This will make his cue a decent break cue.

John

JimS
11-27-2003, 06:23 AM
I'd like to get a bunjee tip. Where are they available on line?

woody_968
11-27-2003, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I'd like to get a bunjee tip. Where are they available on line? <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.bunjeejump.com/mall/home_lobby.htm

there ya go /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FearlessInc
11-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Confused...and why would the Bungee tip be better then the WB on my Halex?

brian_
12-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Anyone ever used a steel jointed Adams to break with? A friend of mine has one and it hits just as hard as the Joss I had and alot cheaper. The taper is more like a house cue then any kind of pro taper but it works.

Now if I could only find someplace in Ohio that sells the lower end Adams, don't like buying cues off E-bay you never know if what ur getting is going to be straight.