View Full Version : The Terminator

Qtec
11-26-2003, 01:04 AM
Schwarzenegger turns terminator

Drastic welfare cuts to curb California's budget crisis

Duncan Campbell in Los Angeles
Wednesday November 26, 2003
The Guardian

Programmes for poor, disabled and elderly people will be the first victims of budget cuts made by Arnold Schwarzenegger as he seeks to balance the California state budget.
Proposals due to be introduced yesterday by the new governor would scale back home care for pensioners and therapy programmes for mentally and physically disabled people, and reduce the number of people entitled to food stamps. Substantial job losses were also expected.

Mr Schwarzenegger's repeal of the state car tax, which had trebled licence fees, was introduced as soon as he took office last week and was warmly welcomed by drivers and the car industry alike. But it meant that a further $4bn (2.35bn) had to be cut from the state's budget, which already had a $10bn deficit.

The reductions now proposed are the first sign of how the governor aims to close the gap. One cut of $385m would end home cleaning, care and transport for around 75,000 elderly and disabled people, according to the draft proposal published yesterday in the LA Times. A further $282m would be saved by cutting art, music and camping trip programmes for around 626,000 Californians with mental or physical disabilities.

Another $200m would be removed from recruitment programmes run by the University of California and California State University, requiring the institutions to make other unspecified cuts.

A potential $77m would be saved by freezing admission to a project called Healthy Families aimed at the working poor.

Money would also be saved by reducing the number of people eligible for food stamps, which are aimed at the state's poorest families.

Cuts would be made in the public transportation budget and another $19m would be found by ending the tax benefit given to people who agree to preserve their land from development.

Some mayors have already expressed concern that the repeal of the car tax would mean that money they had sought to pay for improved police services would not be forthcoming.

"It's almost like a necessary pain that we have to go through," Kevin McCarthy, the new Republican assembly leader, told the LA Times. "We have had a cancer growing on our budget and to cure this we are going to have to go through the chemo."

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

eg8r
11-26-2003, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One cut of $385m would end home cleaning, care and transport for around 75,000 elderly and disabled people, according to the draft proposal published yesterday in the LA Times. <hr /></blockquote> The previous bill that paid for home cleaning is complete BS. I can understand the money going towards care and transportation (transporation to the doctor and back home) but for home cleaning!!! It is not the government's responsibility to make sure the elderly's have a clean home. I am guessing that a very minor part of that money went towards cleaning, but it still should not be spent.

[ QUOTE ]
A further $282m would be saved by cutting art, music and camping trip programmes for around 626,000 Californians with mental or physical disabilities.
<hr /></blockquote> I agree with this also. It is not the taxpayers responsibilty to pay for field trips of those disabled.

[ QUOTE ]
Another $200m would be removed from recruitment programmes run by the University of California and California State University, requiring the institutions to make other unspecified cuts. <hr /></blockquote> Excellent!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Money would also be saved by reducing the number of people eligible for food stamps, which are aimed at the state's poorest families.
<hr /></blockquote> I hope they start with those cheating the system first.

[ QUOTE ]
Some mayors have already expressed concern that the repeal of the car tax would mean that money they had sought to pay for improved police services would not be forthcoming.
<hr /></blockquote> Don't the police generate enough revenue through ticketing. California has some of the strickest laws out there for vehicles. They ticket you if the exhaust is too loud. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"It's almost like a necessary pain that we have to go through," Kevin McCarthy, the new Republican assembly leader, told the LA Times. "We have had a cancer growing on our budget and to cure this we are going to have to go through the chemo."
<hr /></blockquote> EXACTLY. The cancer was the Democrats controlling that state. A while back some Dem out in California told the rest of America to watch California. He said, with all the Democrats in complete control they would show the rest of America how a state should be run. Well they fell flat on their face, and to try and resurrect their failing state, they decided instead of reducing costs (wouldn't that make sense) they would instead sell illegal aliens drivers licenses and the right the to vote in hopes of increasing revenue.

I am sure there will be more cuts going on, but that is the only correct way to balance the budget. Cut government spending and you will be well on your way.

eg8r

Qtec
11-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Said like a true Rep!

Sure, they need to save money but look who is bearing the brunt. The elderly, the handicaped and the poor.

I notice that you dont mind GW spending money like it has gone out of fashion and running up a huge debt at the same time!
You would rather have a new B52 instead of that money actually being used to help those who CANT help themselves.

Let me get this straight; you think old people who cant care for themselves should lie in their own filth!
Dont you have ANY compassion?

Home helpers keep old people out of homes/institutions and therefor save money as well as giving the old the chance to live out their last years in their own home.

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
11-26-2003, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
....You would rather have a new B52 instead of that money actually being used to help those who CANT help themselves..... <hr /></blockquote>

Ummm.... nothing sweeter than a brand spanking new bomber. Yoo hoo Mr. Taliban...heads up /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Cueless Joey
11-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Ahahahahhahahah /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Some of those cuts are really not cuts.
What they are are rollback because the previous governor kept increasing the budget for these welfare programs.
So when Gumby Davis started his lies about the old, children and the blind are going to suffer, it was all bullshiat.
Freakin' Davis and the rest of the welfare-feeding politicians. How does one come here illegaly, bear children and get $300+ per kid for "child support"?

eg8r
11-26-2003, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
notice that you dont mind GW spending money like it has gone out of fashion and running up a huge debt at the same time!
<hr /></blockquote> I have stated time and time again, that Bush spends too much money. I have also stated that the only way to reduce debt is to cut spending. I guess that is too hard for you to understand.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight; you think old people who cant care for themselves should lie in their own filth!
Dont you have ANY compassion? <hr /></blockquote> I guess if that is your take on what I posted then that is all you would believe anyways.

eg8r

eg8r
11-26-2003, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Freakin' Davis and the rest of the welfare-feeding politicians. How does one come here illegaly, bear children and get $300+ per kid for "child support"? <hr /></blockquote> Q would not answer your question, but here is a probable reply you might get from him...If it were not for the US keeping all the good paying jobs out of Mexico, then those people would not need to sneak up here and take advantage of the generosity of the US government (oh well, he probably would not say the US was generous). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Cueless Joey
11-26-2003, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Freakin' Davis and the rest of the welfare-feeding politicians. How does one come here illegaly, bear children and get $300+ per kid for "child support"? <hr /></blockquote> Q would not answer your question, but here is a probable reply you might get from him...If it were not for the US keeping all the good paying jobs out of Mexico, then those people would not need to sneak up here and take advantage of the generosity of the US government (oh well, he probably would not say the US was generous). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>
Ahahahaa!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Chinese goods are killing the economy in Mexico.