PDA

View Full Version : Funny Thing at a Tournament Happened Recently

nhp
11-26-2003, 08:13 AM
I was playing in a tournament at a poolhall I have never visited before a few days ago. The tables there are kind of strange, I can't really explain why or how. Anyways, my opponent made a funny shot, in which he hit a ball hard, which he made, but the cueball jumped up on top of the rail of the table, and instead of falling off of the table, it rolled back onto the table and gave him perfect shape for his next shot. I have never seen this happen before, but I am guessing that was a foul, since the cueball technically did go off of the felt, and would have fallen off the table except for when it hit the shell of one of the pockets which made it fall back onto the cloth. I asked the TD if it was a foul, and he said since the cueball came to a rest on the table, it was legal. I didn't really want to argue about something I am not sure about, so I said fine. Does anyone know if that was a foul or not? Basically the cueball rolled on top of the wooden rail of the table and then fell back onto the cloth.

9 Ball Girl
11-26-2003, 08:36 AM
I've seen it happen before and it's happened to me too. It's never been called out as a foul unless it actually comes off the table, i.e. the cb falls onto the floor or bounces on to another table.

Rich R.
11-26-2003, 08:42 AM
The TD was correct. All parts of the table are in play.

I believe it would be different, if the ball had hit a piece of chaulk and returned to the bed of the table.

I don't recommend practicing this shot for future use. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
11-26-2003, 08:44 AM
I would agree with the TD that since the cb came to rest on the playing field at the end of the shot, as long as it didn't come in contact with anything other than the table, it's a good shot. The same would apply if you hit an ob into the pocket, but with enough spin that it came back out of the pocket and ended up on the table. (Yes, I have seen this happen!) The general rule is where the ball comes to rest once it has stopped moving.

Iowashark
11-26-2003, 08:45 AM
This has happened a few times to me before, as well. I've also never seen it called a foul unless the cue ball ends up off the playing surface. I wonder if it were to hit a cube of chalk or something else not part of the table how it would be called? This is curious. I wonder if there's a rule stating something along these lines? What rules were you playing?

~~Dave

WaltVA
11-26-2003, 08:46 AM
No foul. BCA Rule 3.28 says,".... Balls may bounce on the cushion tops and rails of the table in play without being jumped balls if they return to the bed of the table under their own power and without touching anything not a part of the table." Since it hit the pocket shell (part of the table), no foul. If it had hit a piece of chalk and been deflected back, it would have been a foul.

Walt in VA

woody_968
11-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Walt and Rich have it correct on this one, as long as it doesnt hit chalk or anything else on the rail it is not a foul.
On a side note the same would be true if the ball jumped up and hit the light and then came to rest on the table. I believe the light is considered part of the table so it wouldnt be a foul. But it might make a bit of a mess /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif