PDA

View Full Version : Help! My cue is stuck!!

woody_968
11-26-2003, 08:16 AM
No dirty comments here, its not like that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
After practice last night I went to put my cues away and couldnt get my break cue apart. Luckily I was at home so it was not a big problem.
Anyone have any good tips on how to get it apart? Didnt have a friend around to do the you grab one end and Ill grab the other.

Fred Agnir
11-26-2003, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> No dirty comments here, its not like that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
After practice last night I went to put my cues away and couldnt get my break cue apart. Luckily I was at home so it was not a big problem.
Anyone have any good tips on how to get it apart? Didnt have a friend around to do the you grab one end and Ill grab the other. <hr /></blockquote>Rubber pads for opening jars, and a quick wrist snap.

I'm thinking a strap wrench for oil filters might work, but I've never tried it.

Fred

BLACKHEART
11-26-2003, 08:41 AM
You may have gotten some wax(or the cue maker could have some over spray), on the flat surfaces of the joint. That happen to me once...JER

woody_968
11-26-2003, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> You may have gotten some wax(or the cue maker could have some over spray), on the flat surfaces of the joint. That happen to me once...JER <hr /></blockquote>
I dont use any type of products on my cues, and have played with it for several years so dont think it would be overspray but I could be wrong. It is a bludworth, the cue has always been snug when putting the shaft on the butt.

woody_968
11-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, thought about an oil wrench but didnt really want to go by one when Im not sure it would work. May try the jar opening pads though.

Fred Agnir
11-26-2003, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Thanks for the suggestions, thought about an oil wrench but didnt really want to go by one when Im not sure it would work. May try the jar opening pads though. <hr /></blockquote>If the oil wrench doesn't work, it still has a use: Opening jars.

Fred

SPetty
11-26-2003, 09:49 AM
I think the key may be the "quick wrist snap". I've seen a guy with a similar problem - I tried unscrewing the cue and couldn't get it to budge. He "popped" them apart with the quick wrist snap. After putting it back together, I couldn't get it apart by trying to just unscrew it, but I was able to "pop" them apart. Didn't even need any rubber jar openers!

woody_968
11-26-2003, 09:58 AM
I tried to get it apart with a "pop" but couldnt get it, guess my hands just arent fast enough.

MarkUrsel
11-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Try bending the cue (like you see when some people break and really lean on the cue). When it's bent, roll it. After the pressure and the rolling, it should screw apart.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER!!! Don't bend it so hard you break it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
11-26-2003, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> Try bending the cue (like you see when some people break and really lean on the cue). When it's bent, roll it. After the pressure and the rolling, it should screw apart.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER!!! Don't bend it so hard you break it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the tip, will try it when I get home. Ill be carefull not to bend it much. This is the kind of tip/trip am looking for, nothing worse than standing in a bar feeling like a wimp cause you cant get your cue apart! LOL

Sid_Vicious
11-26-2003, 10:23 AM
I've never aplied this theory to cues but when I get a bolt that won't budge, I apply heat to the joint. If I were trying this I'd take a hair dryer and soak it with a some direct heat, not that I'd stress a collar(s) with a blazing heat, but I would still try the heat from the dryer, and then use the snap routine. Good luck....sid

Rich R.
11-26-2003, 10:32 AM
The heat Sid suggests is a good idea. The rubber jar openers have always worked for me. They save a lot of wear and tear on your hands.

Once you get the cue apart, you may want to take a little action.
If the metal screw from the shaft, goes directly into bare wood, you may want to put a SMALL amount of wax or silicone spray on the pin and then screw it together and apart a few times. This may help keep it from sticking in the future.

Fred Agnir
11-26-2003, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> The heat Sid suggests is a good idea. The rubber jar openers have always worked for me. They save a lot of wear and tear on your hands.<hr /></blockquote>This may have seemed obvious, but for the original poster, bringing a rubber jar opener in your cue case might be a good idea. Believe it or not, there is a company out there that sells what feels like a rubber jar opener, and has an 8-ball on it. I can't remember where I found mine. Probably Valley Forge.

Fred

ras314
11-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Bettja a couple pipe wrenches would do the job. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you can locate a small strap wrench it may not do much damage.

Was an Az post a while back about putting glue on the joint of someone's cue you hated. Haven't seriously hacked anyone off latetly have you?

ChrisW
11-26-2003, 11:36 AM
http://www.gripperbilliards.com/

Scroll down to Gripper Grabber.

Chris

Chris Cass
11-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Hi Woody,

This does happen a lot. This is what I do. I'm right handed so, I hold the wrap in my right hand and with my left, I'll hit the shaft using the palm of my hand just above the joint. Then, it should loosen. It may take a couple tries but it'll come apart. It's also a good way of seeing how much deflection a cue will have. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
11-26-2003, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Bettja a couple pipe wrenches would do the job. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you can locate a small strap wrench it may not do much damage.

Was an Az post a while back about putting glue on the joint of someone's cue you hated. Haven't seriously hacked anyone off latetly have you? <hr /></blockquote>

LOL, no this actually happend at my house, and I dont think the kids would have done that even if that were mad at me.

woody_968
11-26-2003, 02:19 PM
I tried that Chris, usually works but not this time /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JimS
11-26-2003, 03:04 PM
Deflection tester?! HUH? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rod
11-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Use a vice and a thick peice of leather at the joint. If the cue turns in the leather just dampen it a little. Don't crank it down and crush the thing. Personally I have never had one I couldn't take apart by hand so you might want to enlist someone with a better grip. Even a damp cloth might give you a better grip.

Rod

UWPoolGod
11-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Just put it over your knee, when you hear a snap you are done. Toss the cue in the trash and go guy another one. Easily rectified. LOL.

Nah I might try the vice idea also with pads on each side as not to scratch your cue.

pooltchr
11-26-2003, 03:28 PM
Using a vice, even with pads can leave small dents in a shaft. I wouldn't recommend it. The little rubber jar openers and quick wrist snap is the way to go.

Alfie
11-26-2003, 06:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> After practice last night I went to put my cues away and couldnt get my break cue apart. Anyone have any good tips on how to get it apart? <hr /></blockquote>Got no tricks for you.

My question is what can woody_968 do to prevent it from locking up again?

Ralph S.
11-26-2003, 10:34 PM
If you still havent gotten it undone after all those suggestions, you may want to invest in some anti-sieze. I am just joking a little. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JoePickens
11-26-2003, 10:40 PM
That happened to me once and someone told me to turn the cue upside down. Of course I thought they were crazy, but it worked for me.

Joe

JimS
11-27-2003, 06:27 AM
I stopped at Ace Hardware last night and got two of those rubber jar openers. They cost $1.19 each and were so big that I cut one of them into 4 pieces and it was plenty big for opening pool cues..oh..they worked great.

woody_968
11-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Luckily I finally got it before having to go to some of the extremes mentioned here /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I tried tapping it against my hand again (but a lil more firmly this time as frustrations set in) and it finally came apart. No it didnt break, it just unscrewed.

Thanks for the many great suggestions, will be adding a few items to my already cluttered cue case to be prepared for this in the future.

Brady_Behrman
11-27-2003, 10:14 AM
April Fools, we put some superglue on it last night..

lol

Wait for a buddy to come over and you'll get it..
If not you could always use a skill saw..haha

good Luck

Fred Agnir
11-29-2003, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> [This may have seemed obvious, but for the original poster, bringing a rubber jar opener in your cue case might be a good idea. Believe it or not, there is a company out there that sells what feels like a rubber jar opener, and has an 8-ball on it. I can't remember where I found mine. Probably Valley Forge.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>I pulled out the rubber jar opener with the 8-ball on it today. It has "poolplayers.com" on it. That's the APA. They must have been giving them out at the Midwest Expo or at Valley Forge Expo.

Fred