PDA

View Full Version : Opening a Billiards Hall

Scott Van Dyke
11-26-2003, 08:59 AM
I run leagues around my county, and I see a market for a pool hall. There are no 9 ft. tables within a 20 mile radius.

I've spoken with the Chamber of Commerce in my municipality, and would like to start asking others "in the know" about the business.

Can anyone add some experiences?
Any current or past owners?
Can a pool hall survive without alcohol today?

Please share.

Perk
11-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Not sure what type of county you live in as far as the economics go, but in my opinion you would need at least a beer/wine license. Would be easier to draw the wide variety of customers you are targeting. You would also be able to keep the appeal of different types of leagues if you solf beer/wine. The cost of liability insurance would be cheaper than a full liquor license.

I cannot remember which board I read it on, but there was a very lengthy posting from a former room owner that sold her business and watched the new owners run it into the ground. Maybe someone can recall that and post a link. If I remember, I will add it to this post. Found it:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=a04dbcc8409427a1&rnum=1

Good luck, I hope you do ALOT of research regarding your area and hopefully can build a successful establishment.

Rich R.
11-26-2003, 10:43 AM
There are several no-alcohol rooms in my area and they seem to be surviving quite well. However, a lot of their business seems to be the under 21 group and not serious players.
Of course, the rooms with full service bars and kitchens, and multiple big screen TV's for the sports crowd, do a lot better.

Scott Van Dyke
11-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Perk,

This would be opened in the middle of the third "richest" county in the U.S., Ozaukee County, WI. An affluent suburb of Milwaukee.

Thank you very much for the link to Amy's post. Certainly doesn't sound easy, but it would be so much more enjoyable than engineering.

Pelican
11-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Hey Scott. I too have been bouncing around the idea for some time. We have a lot of bar room "pool halls" but have to travel 45 minutes to an hour to get to a real billiards room. I had an idea for an upscale room combined with good food for the weekends and league pool during the week. There is a resturant that has been closed for some time that I have looked at and figure I can get a dozen tables (mixed) in it with dining seating for 40-50.. Am currently in business (pawnshop) with two stores so just not sure if I want to take on anything else. One advantage I would have is not having to make my own living out of it. Sure would be fun tho, wouldn't it?

Scott Van Dyke
11-26-2003, 02:23 PM
You bet it would be fun.

Upscale is the key, like you said. I picture an imaculately kept place. Everything shines. Dress code for anyone working. Something straight out of the 40's.

Pelican
11-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Oh yea. Nice enough to be featured in Billiard Digest /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Oh. Another feature, this resturant has a room that is separate from the main area but has a pass thru from the bar and the kitchen and is large enough for a 9 footer (thinking Gold Crown) where some fellas could enjoy privacy for those "special" games (not to infer that any gambling would take place) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeM
11-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Scott,

As part of her Master's thesis project, my wife recently completed a full-blown business plan for opening a pool hall in Northern Virginia. She got a lot of help from folks on this site as well as the BCA. If you go to: http://www.bca-pool.com/start.shtml and look for their new room package or proprietor package they are a good place to start.

Send me a PM if you decide to really pursue it and we can share some insights from her plan.

MM

Rich R.
11-27-2003, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr> Scott,

As part of her Master's thesis project, my wife recently completed a full-blown business plan for opening a pool hall in Northern Virginia. She got a lot of help from folks on this site as well as the BCA. If you go to: http://www.bca-pool.com/start.shtml and look for their new room package or proprietor package they are a good place to start.

Send me a PM if you decide to really pursue it and we can share some insights from her plan.

MM
<hr /></blockquote>
So, when is the grand opening????
I haven't received my invitation yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif