PDA

View Full Version : Pool stick selection

gmckinney006
11-27-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm looking to buy a cue, probably Cuetec, Action, or Scorpion (to $150). Is fiberglass or graphite covering a good thing? I take it that 13mm tips are the standard, does any brand offer 12mm, I used to prefer the smaller tips (and long skinny shafts)- it seemed they got more english on the ball (maybe it was just me?) Also is a lighter stick not coshier (17-18 oz.), I sometimes shoot hard, and found I got better control, but I guess the standard is 19 oz. w/13mm tip, correct? Does anyone offer screw in tips, or are they mostly glued on (it's been over 25 years since I played seriously, and am out of touch with the technology). I would appreciate any insight.

JPB
11-27-2003, 01:06 PM
No fiberglass or screw tips please. Go maple for shafts. If you are unfamiliar w/ what is going on, go buy a cheap sneaky pete and put the rest of the money toward a better cue someday. buy a dufferin sneaky pete and get a good tip. Then start reading and comparing. Start your research.

woody_968
11-27-2003, 03:07 PM
I would agree with JPB on this, I do not like fiberglass shafts and while a screw on tip may seem good for ease of change, I dont think you would be happy with the quality or performance of the tips you would be using.
There are many fine cues you can get in your price range if it doesnt have to be fancy, Meucci, Mcdermott, Possibly Joss if you get a good deal. You may want to check around your local pool room and see if someone has a cue for sell, can often get a very good deal from someone going through cues trying to buy a game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif