PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Videos from Billiard Sanctuary?

woody_968
11-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Has anyone seen the Videos from Billiard Sanctuary? And if so did you think they were worth it?

Here is a link if your not sure which ones I am talking about http://www.billiardsanctuary.com/welcome.htm

Thanks for any opinions, and yes I would prefer to pay an actuall instructor, but dont have one near by.

piglit
11-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Looks like a witch-dr. to me!
-pigs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
11-28-2003, 10:31 AM
I actually have seen the first couple. Bored the living heck out of me but so does all that stuff. It looks however like they have a grade A, first class set up in place.

What I didn't understand was the nickname, "The Australian Oyster". The guy isn't even from Australia. In the video it explains that it's because it's one of his favorite places on the planet. I mean, my nickname could be "The Mad Teacup" because my favorite thing in the world is being at Disney World and cranking up those teacups.

Kato

cycopath
11-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Mine:

"The Recliner Rider"

Scott Lee
11-28-2003, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I actually have seen the first couple. Bored the living heck out of me but so does all that stuff. It looks however like they have a grade A, first class set up in place.

What I didn't understand was the nickname, "The Australian Oyster". The guy isn't even from Australia. In the video it explains that it's because it's one of his favorite places on the planet. I mean, my nickname could be "The Mad Teacup" because my favorite thing in the world is being at Disney World and cranking up those teacups.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Tim White is a fine instructor, and a graduate of Cue Tech. He lived in Australia for two years...hence the nickname. The videos are well done, and a very high production quality. Like anything, some people will get more out of videos than others...and imo, no book or video replaces the interaction of a personal lesson with a qualified instructor, especially when the lesson is videotaped for the use of the student. Personally, I'd spend the $180 on Tim's set of videos, before I'd spend $500-$1000 for all of Bert Kinister's tapes (although picking and choosing SOME of his tapes are worthwhile, imo). In fact, Tim watched the entire set of Bert's tapes, prior to producing his own, so that he'd know what he didn't want to do with his! LOL...jmo!

cue-tips.com
11-30-2003, 09:35 PM
I have the set of video tapes your talking about. They are -VHS- tapes and the instructional material is great. I may be willing to sell them. If anyone is interested let me know.
sales@cue-tips.com

ceebee
12-01-2003, 11:45 AM
I have that set of Videos from Tim. For the beginner to the basic intermediate, that really wants to learn to play the game &amp; get a good start, they are worth the price. Tim has a new set for the Intermediate &amp; Advanced player.

The instruction is very precise &amp; in depth. There are folks that will be bored. I thought I was bored in the 4th grade, but now I look back &amp; realize I was stupid for not soaking up all that FREE info.

Some Champions are just plain Naturals, but most Champions are made via many years of training &amp; discipline. For every Natural, that becomes a champion, there are hundreds that are made. There are always going to be NATURALS at any sport, but there tens of millions of players that aren't.

Some of us players learned on our own, by trial &amp; error, so some of us have built-in, unlearnable Bad Habits &amp; Faults that keep us to a "certain level of play", for our lifetime. Learning isn't difficult, but unlearning years of BAD HABITS is almost impossible.

Some folks think you have to be a Registered Champion, to be a good Instructor. NOT SO, the highest paid &amp; most sought after Golf Instructors &amp; Coaches are 80 shooters. They have the knowledge to teach, but are physically limited to perform on a consistant basis.

Videos &amp; Books are great &amp; full of knowledge. An Instructor or Teacher can actually save the student "time in grade" of their learning process &amp; quite possibly save them for developing Bad Habits that will limit their potential.

phil in sofla
12-01-2003, 06:38 PM
There are some unique things on those videos, such as his discussion of the 4 or so variations on eye movements used during sighting and shooting. I have never seen any discussion of some of these topics in several dozens of other instructional videos, although these may be standard sorts of things that BCA certified instructors cover in personal instruction, and maybe not new info for any who have gone through that (comments?).

Production values are good, and the per tape pricing not bad. I fault the pacing and the length of some of the material as redundant and tedious at times, and I think the number of tapes could have been half what it is without a loss of covered content, and therefore, possibly twice too long, and twice too expensive. HOWEVER, even if you grant that assessment, ONLY wasting half the money isn't such a bad bargain as far as instructional tapes go. Burt's contain a lot of great information as well, but sometimes, for some tapes, there is a lot of repetition and idle conversation that pad out more than 50% of the tape. And some tapes are 100% a waste (not his-- Bobby Burnett's, for one example).

Kato
12-01-2003, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry if I came off dogging the guy, that wasn't my intention. His videos weren't for me though. I probably should have skipped the first 2, my assesement may have been different. I can get the set for a very nice price through a private source and may do so eventually, who knows. I really did get a kick out of the nickname though, I thought it funny.

Kato

Scott Lee
12-02-2003, 01:21 AM
RJ...I didn't get that at all from your post! The Australian Oyster is a funny nickname! LOL

Scott

Kato
12-02-2003, 07:26 AM
Kinda like Scott "The Montana Madman" Lee?

Scott, do you have a nickname or will just "Scott" do? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~'jus needlin' my buddy Scott.

Doctor_D
12-02-2003, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> Some Champions are just plain Naturals, but most Champions are made via many years of training &amp; discipline. For every Natural, that becomes a champion, there are hundreds that are made. There are always going to be NATURALS at any sport, but there tens of millions of players that aren't.

Some of us players learned on our own, by trial &amp; error, so some of us have built-in, unlearnable Bad Habits &amp; Faults that keep us to a "certain level of play", for our lifetime. Learning isn't difficult, but unlearning years of BAD HABITS is almost impossible.

Some folks think you have to be a Registered Champion, to be a good Instructor. NOT SO, the highest paid &amp; most sought after Golf Instructors &amp; Coaches are 80 shooters. They have the knowledge to teach, but are physically limited to perform on a consistant basis.

Videos &amp; Books are great &amp; full of knowledge. An Instructor or Teacher can actually save the student "time in grade" of their learning process &amp; quite possibly save them for developing Bad Habits that will limit their potential. <hr /></blockquote>

Very well said Sir, very well said!

Dr. D.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-02-2003, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr>.....Burt's contain a lot of great information as well, but sometimes, for some tapes, there is a lot of repetition and idle conversation that pad out more than 50% of the tape. And some tapes are 100% a waste (not his-- Bobby Burnett's, for one example). <hr /></blockquote>

I'm still hacked off that I wasted $15 on Bobby Burnett's lame 8-ball video.

Kinister's tapes are over-priced, as far as the info to dollar ratio, but at least you get something out of each one.

SPetty
12-02-2003, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Kinda like Scott "The Montana Madman" Lee?<hr /></blockquote> Scott "The Montana Mad Air Guitar Playing Man" Lee
http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/forscott/cueguitar.jpg

Voodoo Daddy
12-02-2003, 05:16 PM
I often thought of doing a series of instructional tapes. The ability to reach people through video is what stopped me, these days I couldnt hit the back rail with a 12 gauge...so I made the right decision NOT doing them!!

Barbara
12-02-2003, 05:18 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!

I think this photo has blackmail written all over it!!!

Barbara~~~hopes that wasn't his custom Samsara...

Kato
12-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Susan, was Scott drinking tequilla during this shot?

Kato

Scott Lee
12-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Kato...Naturally, but I NEVER overindulge! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott