PDA

View Full Version : junior nationals

snook
11-27-2003, 06:25 PM
anybody got the info on this years jr. nationals, price, location, what not, thanks alot guys

UTAddb
11-28-2003, 10:30 AM
snook- here's the info from BCA's website:
July 21-24, 2004
University of Arizona Tucson
Student Union Memorial Center Billiards and Game Room
I don't know what the price is but I thougt it would be free. Did you make it to the 03 nationals?

snook
11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
nope, i'm going to try and find some sponsors to go this year, i'm gonna do everything i can to get their, but being sixteen and living in indiana with no real players or action it makes it kinda hard to do much of anything

UTAddb
11-28-2003, 09:30 PM
I know how you feel. I couldn't even get a ride to any of the qualifiers last year and the nationals was on the other side of the country. Luckily, it's not too far this time- that is if I qualify!

SRpool
11-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Snook, where in Indiana do you live? There are probably going to be qualifiers around the Chicago area if you can make it there. I might be able to arrange a qualifier at one of the pool rooms in the chicago area.

Entry into the tournament is free when you qualify. But, you have to pay expenses to get there and hotel, food, etc.

It is a great experience and I hope you make it. If you have any questions about the tournament let me know. I played in it for 9 years.

take care,
Sarah Rousey

Scott Lee
11-29-2003, 03:48 AM
Logan and Dustin...I have posted this info before about the Jr. Nationals. You cannot buy your way into the national tournament. You CAN, however, organize and run your own local tournament, in your town, and "advance" yourself to the national tournament, whether you pay your own way, or get local sponsors to put up the expense money. I did it this way for a young player (Sarah knows him), whom I wanted to take to the Jr. Nationals 10 yrs ago. He and I organized a local 8 man tournament, among my player and his friends. Everyone knew he would win the tournament (that was the idea in the first place), and they were all willing to help him, by joining the BCA as junior players ($10 fee, but you get a rulebook, patch, etc), and paying a small entry fee (we charged $15). Then the player and I went around to several local businesses and solicited donations to cover his expenses to get to the tourament in Las Vegas (from MT).
We had a collared shirt made with the logos of each of the sponsors printed on the back, and he wore the shirt while he competed in the tournament. Afterwards, he wrote a nice thank you, and had it published in the local paper, detailing the event, and thanking everyone involved. For junior players with limited resources, this is the way to go, imo. Dustin, this is your last year of eligibility for the Junior Nationals, as they cut off when you turn 19.

Scott Lee

UTAddb
11-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Scott- I turn 19 on July 2, after the qualifiers but before the 05 nationals. Do you have to be 18 for the nationals too or just the qualifiers?

Scott Lee
11-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Sorry buddy...you're toast! You must still be 18 by the dates of the tournament, and they are strict on this one. Oh well, there always the ACUI, which has no age restriction, and gives you five years of eligibility.

Scott

snook
12-03-2003, 07:15 PM
what are the dates for the qualifiers, and what does it take to organize our own local qualifier? i'm assuming its 9-ball. i'm in sullivan indiana, its about 25 minutes south of terre haute, chicago is about 4 hours for me to get their, but if you can give me the dates, or how long i have to organize my own national I am very excited about the idea of going to tuscon(if thats correct) to play, my email is ezgo58@verizon.net please send me anything you can or reply on here. i am having my mother(she used to be a cleric) write me up a paper asking for donations from local bussinesses i plan on taking around. i thought i would even ask the local(if you would call it local, its 30 minutes) hall to just sponsor me some table time until then, thanks for all your help

how many players do you normally have?

thank you very much

snook
12-03-2003, 07:17 PM
by the way, this will be my first nationals, and my first tournament period. i dont say this braggingly but i know i'm the best 16 year old, or high school player for the matter, for probably 30 mile radius and i normally play with my father(coach) and his friends who have been playing for a while and are considered the "elite" of my town, o normally hold my own with them if not make a few cents(we always play for quarters for some odd reason)

UTAddb
12-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Snook- All we know as of now is that the qualifiers are apr.-jun. I think the dates, places, etc. will be posted around jan. or feb. on the BCA website and will constantly be added on from then on. As for making your own qualifier, I would talk to carrie benson with the BCA or Scott probably knows. Please pass the info on to me too, Scott, if you can.

Scott Lee
12-04-2003, 05:51 AM
snook...You might consider asking the adults in Sullivan to hold a "benefit" tournament, where all entry fees go to you, to send you to the nationals! Do this AFTER you win your local tourney! I emailed you with details...talk to me before you call BCA about running your own tournament!

Good luck!

Scott Lee

snook
12-04-2003, 04:43 PM
i will talk to them about the benifit, thanks for the idea

by the way, terribly sorry, but my email is on the fritz and wont work for me, any chance you could resend that in a private message? thanks alot, sorry for the trouble

Scott Lee
12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Done!