PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch Showdown at the Sands

Kato
11-28-2003, 10:02 AM
yesterday? Came on 12:30 p.m. ET and really didn't go off the air until I think 2 a.m. ET this morning. I watched it the whole way through (2 times I think). Good coverage but I didn't care for the announce work and how top heavy the prize package was. The tournament only payed 10 spots I think (197 entries is probably why). Anyway, poker is a fascinating game and although I would never gamble on it I'm transfixed by the moves.

Kato

dg-in-centralpa
11-28-2003, 10:16 AM
I didn't see it but I love to play poker. I've been hooked on the World Series of Poker. I can't imagine betting half a mil on a nothing hand and bluffing the guy who has a power hand and win it no less. Those guys amaze me. I love watching some of the guys get "psyched out."

DG - loves to gamble but knows when to stop

Tom_In_Cincy
11-28-2003, 11:12 AM
If you couldn't see the hold cards, would it be as interesting? I doubt it, but I love to watch and so do my young boys. ( 18 and 20 years of age)

Why can't pool be as exciting? do more people relate to poker than pool? I just read that ESPN has purchased the rights to the Wold Series of Poker from the Travel Channel, (where its the most popular show).

Kato
11-28-2003, 12:13 PM
No it wouldn't be. Having cameras on the hole cards make a completely different dimension that adds excitement to the hand.

Kato~~~would not be a good card player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Iowashark
11-28-2003, 12:26 PM
I think there were two tourney's on yesterday, one on ESPN and one on Fox Sports Net ( I was flipping back and forth between football commercials) It was interesting to watch this Wolfe guy bluff his way through a bunch of dog hands. I remember one hand where he had like an 8 and a 6 and none of the cards flipped in his favor, he bluffed his way right through it. Amazing. I'd probably be sweating and hyperventalating with that much money on the line and trying to bluff my way through a dog chit hand.

~~Dave

Kato
11-28-2003, 01:36 PM
But he bluffed the consumate whiner, Phil Helmuth, through at least one pot. Of course Helmuth who is holding pocket Kings or something explained it away that "he could have had a straight" and "it's highly possible. Yeah Phil, and it's highly possible that you just got bluffed.

Kato

JPB
11-29-2003, 11:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> If you couldn't see the hold cards, would it be as interesting? I doubt it, but I love to watch and so do my young boys. ( 18 and 20 years of age)

Why can't pool be as exciting? do more people relate to poker than pool? I just read that ESPN has purchased the rights to the Wold Series of Poker from the Travel Channel, (where its the most popular show).

<hr /></blockquote>

Pool by rights should be more interesting on TV. You get to see the best in the world going at it, unlike a lot of the poker tournament finals. But that is where poker captures people's imagination. Anybody with an entry fee can enter and maybe win. Sure you don't figure to win, but the edge a great player has in a tournament is small. (Great tourn poker players can cash maybe 20% of the time and have an expectation of about twice the buy in. In a 5000 entry tourn they figure on a profit of 5000, with huge variance.) So an amateur can win it all. And maybe bluff Hellmuth out of a pot. A rank beginner can get lucky and do OK in a NLHE tourn if they employ an aggressive strategy. (There is a book chapter on this about Bob Stupak's daughter getting a quick lesson before the WSOP from David Sklansky) Pool doesn't have that. You know you can't step up and beat Efren for a lot of money. Poker conceals weakness and limits advantages through the odds. That is why it is a much bigger money game than pool, and after the WPT is becoming bigger still. It is a problem pool can't fix, although I think pool is a better television sport. With the internet games, poker will do way better than pool. The only way pool can compete is for millions of people to get knowledgeable about it. That won't happen. Pool will probably stagnate. It probably won't die, but it is already dead compared to what it was at one time. Sad, but when real pool halls can't make it and bar leagues are the hot thing, you have a problem.

Fred Agnir
11-30-2003, 06:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> If you couldn't see the hold cards, would it be as interesting? I doubt it, but I love to watch and so do my young boys. ( 18 and 20 years of age)
<hr /></blockquote>I know it would be just as interesting, Tom. The first time I saw the WSOP, the lipstick cameras weren't yet introduced. Or maybe they just didn't have it all worked out, because they didn't show every hand, and maybe not even 4 out 5 hands. If I recall correctly, even if they knew the hands, they sometimes didn't show the viewers.

Yet, like today, I was glued to the box.

Fred