Kato
11-28-2003, 01:42 PM
Or trying to.

Man burns down garage while deep-frying Thanksgiving dinner

Associated Press
Posted November 28 2003, 9:51 AM EST

Email story
Print story

ST. CLOUD, Minn. -- Bill Fickett wanted to give his wife a break from the kitchen on Thanksgiving, so he offered to cook. His kind gesture ended up causing about $14,000 in damage.

``I don't know how it happened,'' Fickett said. ``My wife just had a baby, so I said I'd take care of the turkey.''

He decided to try his hand at deep-fat frying a turkey. He borrowed a fryer and got directions from a friend. He bought a thermometer to make sure the oil didn't get too hot.

Fickett said he was heating up about 3 gallons of oil before the fire started. He adjusted the temperature to the recommended 350 degrees, then stepped into the house to get the bird.

Next thing he knew, smoke was pouring out of the garage.

By the time firefighters got there Thursday afternoon, the garage was in flames, said Gene Kostreba, acting assistant fire chief. He said the fire was contained to the garage, which was destroyed. Fickett said it was insured.

No one was injured. The fire was still under investigation, Kostreba said. Fickett and his family still had a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

``We just had to have chicken instead of turkey,'' he said. ``I'll probably stick to baking them now.''

ras314
11-28-2003, 05:43 PM
What's that old saying, "Never send a man to do women's work". Or something like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ralph S.
11-28-2003, 06:34 PM
On a more serious note, there have been several tragic mishaps just like this since the deep frying of turkeys bacame popular several years ago. Due to a vast knowledge from restauraunt work in years past, the biggest problems these "cookie rookies" create is from carelessness.

When deep frying a turkey in these kits you buy in just about any grocery or general reatailer, it is important to take these steps:

1>make sure the bird is COMPLETELEY thawed all the way!!
this is a must and the most common mistake. oil and
water dont mix.
2>do not perform this in a garage or enclosed area and
espescially not in the house. remember, you are using a
propane tank like on a grill.
3>only use enough oil to cover the bird when submurged in
the fryer unit.
4>do not exceed recommended cooking temp and always have a
second person with you to remove bird. this guards
against accidentally dropping it and getting severe burns
from the hot, popping oil.

CarolNYC
11-29-2003, 04:25 AM
Hey Kato,
It was just on the news the other evening where a Mom and her daughter were deep frying a turkey-well, it seems they forgot to wipe it down after rinsing it and threw it in the hot oil and it wound up burning them-dont people know that water and hot oil DO NOT mix- very sad-so wipe the damn turkey down!Hope they are well! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Carol

Ralph S.
11-29-2003, 04:15 PM
The point I was trying to make Carol, some people just dont use common sense. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

CarolNYC
11-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Well,Ralph,
I sure as hell believe in you!:):):):)
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif