PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Leather & Dark Marks on Cue & Balls

JimS
11-28-2003, 02:32 PM
The pockets on my Diamond table have dark brown leather around the top edges and the leather is leaving marks on my cues and balls. As would be expected there are also wear marks on the leather where the finish has rubbed off.

I told Diamond about this about 2 years ago and again recently but they have not come up with any remedy and have told me that they and the folks at Hood leather are working on it.

Call me impatient and nit-pickey but I'm tired of using cleaning fluid to get the marks off my cues and balls and I don't like the skinned markings on the pockets so have any of you got any ideas? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

sutallee
11-28-2003, 06:00 PM
I cant answer your quistion, but I have one for you. I am thinking of getting a Diamond table and was wondering how you like it. My only concern is that I live In a different state than Indiana, I live in georgia. If I had a problem with the table are going to come down here to fix it or what? Hopefully there wont be any, but you seem to be having a problem, Thanks, Sutallee

ras314
11-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Some sort of dark brown tape?

Wish I had this problem. Don't have a table to worry about. But am working on a room and want a Diamond.

Steve - Detroit
11-28-2003, 06:45 PM
I get the same steaks on the cues and marks on the pockets on my Olhausen. Haven't noticed marks on the balls though. I know I saw a thread on here some years back where people talked of a certain pocket manufacturer known for having these problems, I don't recall their name. At the time I figured it was a "wise too late" kind of situation for me as I would have ordered a better pocket had I known, assuming mine even are from this particular company. I would appreciate it if you can keep us updated on this as to whether you get any satisfaction from Diamond.

JimS
11-28-2003, 08:47 PM
I love the table!

Diamond is doing what they can to figure out what to do about this and I don't want to give the impression that I expect more from them. I'd just like to be able to do something.

I can't imagine a better playing table. It's just fantastic and if the table itself ever developed any problems I'm sure that Chad would find a way to get it resolved....as he will this leather thing...which I don't suppose there is a helluva lot can be done. You rub leather and the dye will come off and the finish will come off and that's that.

cheesemouse
11-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Jim,
I can't solve the problem but I can tell you how to avoid the cleaning solution...you just rub the ball on the top of rubber cushion and presto the mark is off the ball.

Greg/Diamond
11-28-2003, 10:15 PM
Jim,
I definitely know what you're talking about! It seems to lessen with age, but I know that's not the answer. I've talked with Hood leather (who covers our pockets) and they haven't come up with a solution so within the last week we got a sample from the people who make the leather for the Lexus automobile. They have just what we wanted. A dye that penetrates all the way thru the leather and doesn't rub off. It's pretty expensive though. Anyway we placed an order for 500 tables to try it out. The manufacturer is coming to our plant in the next couple of weeks and we should have product by late January. I'll be happy to work with you because I understand picky. That's me! I don't know exactly what the cost will be or how I will be able to handle making everyone happy. I'll do the best I can. The dye on you're pockets only comes off on the balls on one shot. That is on a straight in hit firmly and that spot will gradually run out of dye........Greg/Diamond

I thought I'd take this oportunity to encourage more posts like this. I view this as an chance to improve conditions. I was aware of the above mentioned marks and still feel that there is someone out there that knows much more than me about dyes and leather. There should be some solvent or cream that would'nt hurt the leather and remove some of the dye and lessen the marking without ruining the looks of the pocket. This would only be a bandade fix but it would make life better in home tables, because they don't break in nearly as fast as pool rooms where the problem is fixed sooner. Anyway the real answer seems to be the penetrating dye which I feel I have finally found!! If anyone observes other problems or suggestions Bring Em On and together maybe they can be addressed....Greg/Diamond

ceebee
11-29-2003, 01:21 AM
The PROBLEM is this >>> The leather pocket makers no longer apply a permanent stain to the leather.... THEY PAINT THEM...??? Applying a stain takes too long & the finish color is questionable, because of different leather conditions. It's a cheaper process, but does not produce a favorable result.

When you stroke the Cue across the pocket, there is friction & friction builds heat. Thereby rubbing the color off on the Cue & the Balls....

Everyone shops PRICE nowadays, so the manufacturers sell you a nice looking product, with it's downside.

Even the Brunswick Gold Crowns have a soft rubber pocket that rubs off on your Cue...

WELCOME to the new world made by "BEAN COUNTERS",... they sell [censored], but the bottom line looks good for the company...., the product no longer has costly built in QUALITY...

JimS
11-29-2003, 06:55 AM
Greg I deeply appreciate your response!!! It's just not that often in the world these days that companies respond to a persons frustrations with real interest and willingness to help. I knew that Diamond was a company who would respond like a careing person would respond because that's what Diamond is! ....a group of good caring people who make as good a pool table as can be made.

I'll be looking forward to hearing from you regarding how I can avail myself of this new pocket. My mechanic and I put the table together and we can replace the pocket too. It sure will be great to not have to worry about this problem in the future. The pockets are getting ugly!...and I can't like those marks on my South West!!

I don't expect free....just a reasonable fee to cover some of your costs. Thanks again.

JimS
11-29-2003, 06:58 AM
Hey Cheese...thanks for the tip. I'll try that on some extra pcs of Simonis I have in the desk. Somehow that seems less offensive to me than wiping the ball on the rail. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JimS
11-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the help ceebee and I sure agree with you about the way most products are designed and manufactured these days.....BUT...I really believe that Diamond is NOT like that. Greg and Chad have gone out of their way to build a truly great product and have helped me all along the way. I know you weren't knocking them in your post. I'm just saying that I really do honestly believe in Diamond. It's a company that was started by a couple of regular guys who wanted a better pool table and I respect that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mark wilson
11-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Greg is just exactly what anyone would want as someone whom you had invested both money and faith. I have seldom seen anyone who cares as much about their customer. Greg is a great pool player, business man, and just a great guy with mid-west values and morals that wants to and has did great things for the sport. Sincerely, Mark Wilson

Scott Lee
11-29-2003, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mark wilson:</font><hr> Greg is just exactly what anyone would want as someone whom you had invested both money and faith. I have seldom seen anyone who cares as much about their customer. Greg is a great pool player, business man, and just a great guy with mid-west values and morals that wants to and has did great things for the sport. Sincerely, Mark Wilson <hr /></blockquote>

Amen! Other manufacturers could take a lesson from Greg!
He even PROMOTES the sport by organizing and financially supporting professional events! Other companies seem to throw a (very) few bucks at a tournament organized by other entities, and call it good. Greg puts his time and money where his mouth is! Keep up the good work, Greg!

Scott Lee

JimS
11-29-2003, 12:53 PM
WOW....I bought my table from a..a...well...from a freakin pool god!! Who knew???!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif