PDA

View Full Version : Addiction to the CCB, sufferers & signs of addiction.

rackmup
04-17-2002, 11:10 AM
CCB ADDICTION

<ul type="square"> Can't get into work on time because you HAD to post at the CCB?
Did you spend your vacation week at the computer INSTEAD of visiting a "vacation locale" with your family?
Tired from prolonged exposure to the computer and the Internet?
[/list]

THESE ARE ALL EXAMPLES of a condition called CCB ADDICTION, POOL FORUM ADDICTIVE DISORDER or ACCUTE CYBERCUECHAT DEPENDENCY. It is a problem very similar to Pathological Gambling or Compulsive Shopping. Like other addictions, it affects other people -- family, friends, and co-workers. Spouses complain that their loved ones neglect them. Couples separate when one of the partners finds someone else on the Internet and leaves home. Like gamblers they compulsively keep investing time and money. They fantasize that the next CCB POST they make will solve all their problems.

THE KNOWN "TOP TEN" SUFFERERS"

Listed in order of addiction severity
<ul type="square"> Tom_In_Cincy
Doctor_D
cheesemouse
Rod
TomBrooklyn
Chris Cass
rackmup
TheShot
CarolNYC
Q-guy
[/list]

Is a family member or friend on this list? If so, intervention is needed immediately. Consult your local Computer Mental Health &amp; Dependency Center and schedule an appointment to discuss treatments.

SIGNS OF ADDICTION

<font color=red>One or more of the following signs could indicate possible CCB ABUSE</font color=red>:
<ul type="square"> Blisters or wear marks (usually on fingers, hands) caused by gripping the computer mouse for extended periods of time.
Wearing sunglasses (to conceal dilated, constricted or bloodshot eyes) from time spent in front of the computer monitor.
Wearing gloves in warm weather (to hide blisters and wear marks on hands.)
Long stays in the bathroom (constipation) caused by prolonged sitting at computer desk.
Frequently late to work or appointments (typical pattern of someone that has to get in "one last post".)
Excessive use of breath mints (masks the smell of "Nacho Cheese Doritos", a favorite "upper" of CCB addicts.)
Unwarranted laughter (associated with dilusions caused by prolonged exposure to screensavers.)
Extreme mood swings (typical reaction to antagonistic "anonymous" posters.)
Unusually disheveled or unkept (distorted priorities.)
Nodding out (drowsiness; lethargy from time at the computer.)
Sweating profusely, even on cold days (physical reaction to prolonged heat produced by overheating CPU's.)
Bad attitude in the morning (slow ISP connection times.)
Borrowing or begging for money (to support pool habit.)
Poor circulation (reaction related to "ergonomically incorrect" computer desk chair.)
Undependable; unpredictable (typical pattern of excessive computer abuse.)
Aggressive; Uptight; Paranoid (believes all negative "anonymous" posts are directed at him/her.)
Swollen/puffy hands and/or feet (see "circulation. Also caused by gripping computer mouse too tightly.)
Constant sniveling (only present in "railbird" CCB'ers.)
Yawning (symptom associated with lack of sleep.)
Associating with other known CCB users (could indicate deeper involvement such as dealing in downloaded CCB content.)
Teary eyes (excessive monitor exposure.)
Frequenting known computer locations, other than home (could indicate "closet" CCB involvement.)
Unnecessary or obvious lying (to cover up excessive computer use.)
Burns, lesions, sores, in mouth or on lips (possibly having sexual relations with prostitutes. CCB addicts have no time for developing sound, personal relationships.)
Frequent isolation (would rather spend time on the computer.)
Hyperactivity (caused by receiving "accolades" from other CCB'ers on posts written by the addict.)
Listlessness (due to lack of sleep.)
Hiding Internet Accessible Palm Pilots in unusual places (to conceal "closet" CCB abuse.)
Presence of Pool Digest paraphernalia (sign of deep involvement in CCB activity.)
Smell of "No-Doz" (attempting to thwart the body's need for sleep.)
Gradual disappearance of computer disks or re-writable CD's (downloading of CCB content for resale to other CCB addicts that don't have regular computer access.)
Unexplained spending of unusual amounts of money (could indicate gambling with other CCB'ers in online pool (Virtual Pool) sessions.)
Burnt soda cans or melted liter soda bottles (trying to smoke soft drinks in an attempt to immediately ingest caffiene.)
Knotted shoestrings or pantyhose (losing basic motor skills due to excessive CCB abuse.)
Bloodstained undergarments or bloody toilet tissues (could indicate anal irritation caused by prolonged sitting at computer desk AND/OR the concealment of Internet Accessible Palm Pilot.)
[/list]

If YOU or SOMEONE YOU LOVE exhibits <font color=red>THREE OR MORE</font color=red> of the above listed symptoms, your/their addiction is currently hopeless using conventional and current treatment methods and CANNOT be treated. It is in your/their best interests to purchase Carpal Tunnel Wrist Supports, an "ergonomically designed" desk chair, a heavy-duty CPU cooling fan and heavy leather gloves.

Eventually, your computer will fail to operate correctly due to repeated, excessive use and only then, can you/they receive the help that you/they so desperately need.

Regards &amp; good luck,

Ken (not related to the "rackmup" listed with the other addicts. Honest, that's not me!)

stickman
04-17-2002, 11:29 AM
Ut-Oh! I've got it bad Doc. /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Kato
04-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Sounds normal enough to me.

Kato~~~extremely NORMAL!!!!!

rackmup
04-17-2002, 12:47 PM
Kato is in denial and Stickman is crying out for help.

Regards,

Ken (denying that he needs help)

Doctor_D
04-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Good afternoon Ken:

You have entirely too much time on your hands.

Dr. D.

Kato
04-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Ken, there's a better than average chance that you've got some issues. Don't worry we're here to help you with your addictions.

Kato~~~knows there ain't nothing a good crack of a 9-ball rack can't fix.

Doctor_D
04-17-2002, 02:39 PM
Good afternoon:

On that note folks; the Doctor is in...

Dr. D.

Kato
04-17-2002, 02:45 PM
Hi Doc, I've got this itching behind my ear. My dog likes it when I scratch behind her ear. My question: Is it normal to stick my tongue out and try and stretch my neck to the moon when I scratch back there?

Kato~~~hoping Doc has the knowledge.

Doctor_D
04-17-2002, 02:51 PM
Good afternoon:

Sounds like a condition which needs to be addressed by a clinical study and a major university.

Dr. D.

rackmup
04-17-2002, 03:29 PM
You Think?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-17-2002, 03:35 PM
5 more posts and I will be labeled "Addicted"

04-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Someone finally noticed.

Doctor_D
04-17-2002, 03:48 PM
Good afternoon Tom:

At this point in time, the "label" is nothing more then a formality !!!

Dr. D.

rackmup
04-17-2002, 03:48 PM
STOP RIGHT NOW! PUT THE KEYBOARD DOWN AND SLOWLY BACK AWAY! CALL A FRIEND AND HAVE THEM FLUSH THE MOUSE DOWN THE TOILET!

Tom,

Get help please. We are hurt as we stand by and watch as you wear your fingers to the bone in this ridiculous attempt to prove to others that you are "ok."

You are not ok but we are here for you. Please, call us. We will talk you through the pains of going "cold-turkey."

Regards,

Ken

Tom_In_Cincy
04-17-2002, 04:10 PM
This will be my 400th post, BUT, by the time I get to 700 posts.. Yoda and I will be able to relate
http://www.humorconnect.com/pictures/342.jpg

Q-guy
04-17-2002, 04:18 PM
Post deleted by Q-guy

rackmup
04-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Stuff (ideas) just "pop" into my head (there is a lot of space in there) and I put it into words, then torture all of you with it.

Regards,

Ken (hopes all of this drivel doesn't give anyone a rash)

Doctor_D
04-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Good evening Ken:

Let's face it, you are just one of those prolific genious types. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Cuemage
04-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Me too Stickman...
If I spent all this time practicing instead of reading posts,then I might be able to get out occasionally.
Yet, here I go to tha next thread...

Tha Cuemage

Rod
04-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Umm, just wanted to get this post in, ouch ouch, boy my fingers are sore. Nope not me I'm not addicted. I have as much time or more than anyone!! I could be at hundreds of posts, so that's my excuse for not being addicted. I could post a lot more. Ken I don't want to fill the board with dribble or tribbles. You have that under control. LOL
How about coming up with one from a Rod Serling frame of mind! doo doo doo doo----

04-17-2002, 08:23 PM
I'm tickled to see that I did NOT make your top 10 list of CCB addicts! I consider this a real sign of personal growth and achievement - and a positive sign for those others here who have suffered tremendous debilitation in their daily lives from this addiction - as I have in the past.

I can't really explain it - it's certainly not that I don't still live and breathe pool 24/7. I guess I just kind of got burned out with the CCB and trying to keep up with all the threads. A slow and obselete computer and constantly waiting for it certainly contributed greatly to making it easier to wean myself off of the addiction. I guess I've realized that if I wasted as much time playing/practicing as I did on the CCB, I'd be a far better player by now. I am still here though, lurking and posting occasionally - as I have tonight. - Chris in NC

John in NH
04-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey Ken,

Great post, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

After reading your qualifications for CCB Addiction I realized that I will never make your top ten list of CCB sufferers for the following reasons:
1. I don't work (Retired).
2. I'm always on vacation.
3. I'm never tired.

However! I do suffer from more than three of the symptoms that you mentioned, what is my prognosis?

Regards,

John

Ralph S.
04-17-2002, 10:28 PM
Way too funny Tom, loved the Yoda pic and the prase with it. And Ken is just killing me. Call the coroner as I am about to die from uncontrollable laughter.
Ralph S.

rackmup
04-18-2002, 05:12 AM
John in NH,

To answer your questions:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>1. I don't work (Retired).<font color=red>It's all relative John. If you are late for shuffleboard practice at the retirement community, the CCB addiction is present. Do you find yourself late for the Wednesday night buffet at LUBY'S with the rest of the "gang?" If so, you have an addiction.</font color=red>
2. I'm always on vacation.<font color=red>More time to induldge the addiction. The question is, does the family participate in this "vacation" you are "always on."</font color=red>
3. I'm never tired.<font color=red>Describe your means of ingesting caffiene and the amounts of your daily consumption.</font color=red>

However! I do suffer from more than three of the symptoms that you mentioned, what is my prognosis?<font color=red>You are border-line addicted. Seek counseling before it is too late.</font color=red><hr></blockquote>

Regards,

Ken

Kato
04-18-2002, 06:56 AM
I just want you guys to know that I think I'm ok. No really it's true I'm ok...........mostly...........probably.

Kato~~~wondering what large clinical institution will come knocking and why there is suddenly a pod under my bed? Better ask Dan Jones.............he knows all the pods by name.

SPetty
04-18-2002, 07:49 AM
Hi Chris,

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I am glad to see you posting a little more lately. I've missed your posts.

Although you're tickled to have not made the list, you will never even come close unless you register. You don't need to provide anything other than an email address, and even that you don't need to make public if you don't want to.

There are a few benefits to registering, the most fun of which is the "Personal Messaging", and the most useful of which is the indicator of unread posts when you come back to the site. If you use the same computer to access the site, you don't need to log out and log in every time. It'll "know" you when you come back.

Good to see you back posting a bit!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> I'm tickled to see that I did NOT make your top 10 list of CCB addicts! I consider this a real sign of personal growth and achievement - and a positive sign for those others here who have suffered tremendous debilitation in their daily lives from this addiction - as I have in the past.

I can't really explain it - it's certainly not that I don't still live and breathe pool 24/7. I guess I just kind of got burned out with the CCB and trying to keep up with all the threads. A slow and obselete computer and constantly waiting for it certainly contributed greatly to making it easier to wean myself off of the addiction. I guess I've realized that if I wasted as much time playing/practicing as I did on the CCB, I'd be a far better player by now. I am still here though, lurking and posting occasionally - as I have tonight. - Chris in NC <hr></blockquote>

Doctor_D
04-18-2002, 07:52 AM
Good morning Chris:

Just last night I was asking myself where you were hiding! Good to see, as well as hear, you again. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-18-2002, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris in NC:</font><hr> I guess I just kind of got burned out with the CCB and trying to keep up with all the threads. A slow and obselete computer and constantly waiting for it certainly contributed greatly to making it easier to wean myself off of the addiction. <hr></blockquote>

Keeping up with the new format is virtually impossible with a slow connection, as I discovered.

It also doesn't help when someone posts copious amounts of non-pool-related ramblings.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-18-2002, 12:15 PM
It is good to see Chris posting again. His input has been missed.

rackmup
04-18-2002, 01:02 PM
Don't candy-coat it Wally...who you talkin' 'bout? Don't be afraid to call out a name. If it's me...I'm a B-I-G boy.

Regards,

Ken (attempting not to be "copious")

Wally_in_Cincy
04-18-2002, 01:41 PM

Tom_In_Cincy
04-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Wally,
If you haven't already done so, you might want to adjust your settings to just the last 24 hours of posts. Maybe this will speed up the dial connection's downloading.

If you have already done this and its still slow.. I would suggest getting Road Runner..

I feel for ya buddy.. been there, done that, and got rid of dial up... and got RR. and love it..

Cuemage
04-18-2002, 06:06 PM
road runner chris...road runner

beep beep

Tha Cuemage

Alfie
04-18-2002, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> Hi Chris,

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I am glad to see you posting a little more lately. I've missed your posts.

Although you're tickled to have not made the list, you will never even come close unless you register. You don't need to provide anything other than an email address, and even that you don't need to make public if you don't want to.

There are a few benefits to registering, the most fun of which is the "Personal Messaging", and the most useful of which is the indicator of unread posts when you come back to the site. If you use the same computer to access the site, you don't need to log out and log in every time. It'll "know" you when you come back.

Good to see you back posting a bit!
<hr></blockquote>

Um, Steve, maybe you should take Chris at his word when he says,
"I'm tickled to see that I did NOT make your top 10 list of CCB addicts! I consider this a real sign of personal growth and achievement - and a positive sign for those others here who have suffered tremendous debilitation in their daily lives from this addiction - as I have in the past."

He does not want to hear how much more fun and easier it is to take the drug now. Some people know when they have a problem.

cheesemouse
04-18-2002, 07:52 PM
All this talk of addiction and the ccb made me look back at the beginning of my problem and to my amazement I'm a short timer. It was Feb. of this year about the time that this board made the big change over to the new foremat with all the bells and whistles. I don't have a problem. I don't watch network tv anymore is all. I think I made a good trade. My big problem now is how to stay up with you fine pool folks during my golf season.

~~The cheese needs a fix~~~shoot me up with some Roquefort Doc.~~~~~~