PDA

View Full Version : Book Recommendation?

Lisa
11-29-2003, 10:49 AM
<font color="blue"> </font color> Hubby just bought a table, &amp; wants a book that explains the gemoetry of rail shots. My research indicates this is known as the *diamond system*? If anyone knows a good book to get him for Xmas, I'd appreciate it. The only one I've come up with is Don Feeney's *Vol. 2 Diamond System Simplified*. Or if you think there is an informative video that he'd benefit from, that'd be fine, too.

woody_968
11-29-2003, 10:54 AM
I have Don's video, and while the production leaves some to be desired he does a very good job of explaining the diamond system.
Another good book is Robert Burns Pool and Billiards, it covers alot of different things, and if I remember right had a pretty good expanation of the diamond system.
One video I personally want to get is Grady Mathews Just kicks, I would imagine it would be very good.

Sid_Vicious
11-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Lisa...Nothing personal aganst Feeney but I found him to be really dry in his presentation. I couldn't stay awake so I've shelved all of his videos. You'll get some good advice here, I'd personally skip this guy's video. Jm2c...sid

Scott Lee
11-29-2003, 11:09 AM
LIsa...There are several books and video out that address the "diamond system" as part of the whole picture. However, in reality, tables react differently, according to many conditions, and a player needs to learn how to adjust to various tables. In addition, someone's stroke can hugely vary how the CB responds off of cushions, and a poor stroke will not be helped much with most of the books and videos out there. A professional lesson from a qualified instructor on banking dynamics and the diamond system would benefit your husband much more, imo, than some book or video. Then those things would enhance his knowledge. JMO

Scott Lee

PQQLK9
11-29-2003, 11:10 AM
http://www.easypooltutor.com/article32.html

JimS
11-29-2003, 01:46 PM
You'd think that there would be some cut and dried methodical process to banking using the Diamond system but it varies so much from table to table and depending on the weather (dampness/dryness) and the players stroke, and whether or not the cue ball is being hit perfectly in the center or maybe a little to one side or another, and the angle in is always different and and and and and........

As Scott has said the best way to learn to bank reliably is a lesson or two and then hours and hours at the table learning what varaibles cause what. For instance: a player can line up a simple cross table bank and the outcome can vary by a foot..maybe more...just depending on how hard the shot is hit and whether the cue ball is hit exactly in the center or slightly to one side or another. It's maddening to learn until it has been accepted that only time and experience will sove what appears to be a simple geometrical problem. You'd think that angle in would add up to angle out and it just doesn't work!!!!!

All that said..it was suggested the Grady Mathews has tapes that might help and his are probably the best that I'm aware of. Try www.poolbilliards.com (http://www.poolbilliards.com) and look for something about kicks or banks. I'm sure he has something and he is known as "The Professor". His work is good.

Merry Christmas...and...if your husband is serious about learning to be a player, you are going to have a lot of time to do "your thing"...which ain't all bad once you realize that his preoccupation is nothing personal! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vagabond
11-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Howdy,
please consider buying rules book Billiard congress of America( less than 10$).The book givesan idea about how to stand at the table etc.ofcourse,it has ver valuable info in otherareas besides the rules of every game played on the green felt.Good investment.BTW I am not a member of BCA or any trade association.Cheers
Vagabond

ceebee
11-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Dr. Cue has a few videos that are worth a zillion hours of practice. His Kicking &amp; Banking videos will give a great jump start to anyone playing the game.

One great book that outlines a hundred pattern shots, is Ray Martins "99 Critical shots in Pool". It's a great book full of knowledge.

Fleece3
11-30-2003, 06:36 PM
The "MONK" video series in VERY GOOD. I got mine at:

www.ozonebilliards.com (http://www.ozonebilliards.com)

Fred Agnir
12-01-2003, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Lisa:</font><hr> <font color="blue"> </font color> Hubby just bought a table, &amp; wants a book that explains the gemoetry of rail shots. My research indicates this is known as the *diamond system*? If anyone knows a good book to get him for Xmas, I'd appreciate it. <hr /></blockquote> Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0156005549/qid=1070291343/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9596416-7049517?v=glance&amp;s=books) gives one of the most thorough coverings of most of the standard diamonds systems.

Desmond Allen's Win at Pocket Billiards (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156625163X/qid=1070291234/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9596416-7049517?v=glance&amp;n=507846) (fka One Rail, Two Rails, Three Rails, and More) is a nice small book that gives a nice overview as well.

Fred

NBC-BOB
12-01-2003, 01:55 PM
My vote is for the science of pocket billiards.

piglit
12-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Skip the book- Play pool.

Get him a keg of Dominion Ale and a <font color="green">fat sack </font color> . Then lock him down there for a couple of months.

Oh, tell him to pay attention too.

-pigz

moblsv
12-03-2003, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote piglit:</font><hr>
Get him a keg of Dominion Ale and a <font color="green">fat sack </font color> .<hr /></blockquote>

What's a fat sack? That's what I call the ballast bags in my Wakeboarding boat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lisa - This isn't exactly what you asked for but... I just bought a new table that is being delivered tomorrow and a book called blackbelt billiards (http://www.members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/). This book seems like a great way to spend countless hours working on drills and learning how the balls will react off the rails when hit at different speeds and with different english.