PDA

View Full Version : Shuler - Jerico Cue?

tateuts
11-29-2003, 09:36 PM
There is a "Jerico" (Jerry Powers) cue on E-Bay that is unlike any Jerico I've seen - a Southwest style cue - being offered at a low price. It's signed like a Shuler cue. I know that Shuler and Jerico teamed up. Does anyone know anything about this connection?

Jerico on E-Bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3640819631&category=21 212)

Thanks,

Chris

tateuts
11-29-2003, 11:09 PM
I just actually got an answer from the seller - a gentleman by the name of Carl Oswald, a BCA instructor/referee out of Plano, Texas. Jerry does the finish work and final inspection - but he did not disclose who produced the cues. I can only assume they are a production cue, and I would have to guess an import. Oh well.

Chris

BillPorter
11-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Chris,

This looks a lot like several cues I have bought on eBay. The cues I bought were "KC Cues" and I think they are made in the Phillipines. They are not bad cues for $100-$150, but I didn't think they were worth much more than that. Just my $.02.

Sid_Vicious
11-30-2003, 08:57 AM
I guess I'm as dense as a rock because I'd never have questioned that it was a custom since it was labeled with a custom cuebuilder's name, unless of course the seller was misrepresenting the name completely. Other that that, what's the jest of cues listed in public venues with names of custom built cues? I wouldn't assume to buy an authentic Balabuska produced now, that's not my concern, but living builders selling imports under their own labels is. Are many builders putting their reputable names on imports, and if so, do you have any builders names other than the Jerico who are doing this? I've lost a spec of respect for Jerico now if I've got to begin to question if "this cue or that cue" is built by Jerry or not!!!sid

SPetty
11-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi Chris,

Carl Oswald also is a CCB member known as caedos. I know him and he's a stand up kind of guy. I seriously doubt that he'd list an item as "Jerico Custom Cue" if it wasn't a custom cue made by Jerry Powers.

You used the words "did not disclose who produced the cues". Did he allude that it wasn't Jerry Powers? Perhaps he didn't feel it was necessary since the auction so specifically mentioned "Jerico Custom Cue"?

I'd like to recommend that you push him on this and get a definitive answer. If he's selling a "Jerico Custom Cue" and it's really a mass produced import, I'd be surprised and very disappointed (and eBay might even be interested in knowing it...)

Please let us know if you follow up on this again.

tateuts
11-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm a little confused myself here. Carl was very upfront that these weren't a Jerico "custom" cue but he got them from Jerry and they are signed Jerico. I've e-mailed Carl and asked him who actually made the cues. I'll let you know.

Chris

caedos
12-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Hi guys,

I haven't been on the board in a while due to personal stuffage. Chris, please continue to e-mail me directly as that may be the best way to get any response from me. I'm just not on the computer like I once was. As for the subject at hand... The two cues I have that I'm selling are a line of cues that Jerry Powers has built for him to his specifications. He does do signing and finish work on them at his shop in west Texas, and he stands behind them just like his other cues that he builds custom. I do not know who the contractor is or what Jerry's ownership or involvement is with them. Jerry has cues under Jerico Cue and also under Jerico Cues, one of which is his custom cues he makes out of the shop... which one I do not know. He has several companies to occupy his time and he's been in the industry for so long he's networked in with more people than I can count. I haven't personally seen the cues that Sid speaks of to know whether or not they are related, but the ones that Jerry puts out sell in the mid-$300 range and higher with regularity and play as well as anything else out there.

That's the best I can do. Susan and Chris have my e-mail if anyone needs to get ahold of me.

Take care,

Carl

Sid_Vicious
12-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Carl....It's the title "Jerico Custom Cue" for sale in the title on the E-bay add that is my only problem. Maybe I'm not correct in the word "custom", but to me it means that the name included in the description means that that guy built the cue, not had it imported and them merely signed it. It seems devious in nature. Did I miss something in your reply???sid