PDA

View Full Version : Humidity and table speed?

Godzilla
12-01-2003, 02:26 AM
Hey all, My table has been set up, I had to redo the rails and skirt today but the table is playing great. I have a question about room humidity tho. The table seems to be playing a little slower than I am used to. its nothing drastic but I enjoy a fast table. For those that didn't read my earlier post I have a Gabriels Sig pro with simonis 860 cloth and super aramith pro balls so the equipment should not be a factor. I am guessing humidity in my basement although it does not seem overly moist down there. Does anyone know what a good level of humidity is in a home room? I have only had time to play a couple games on the table as well but it seems to play great so far. I'll let you all know in a couple days how its actually playing.

Thanks,
Godzilla

Scott Lee
12-01-2003, 05:00 AM
Godzilla...Humidity plays a huge factor in cloth speed. I don't know what the recommended percentage would be, but I know my friends who live down south, where it is frequently humid, have dehumidifiers running most of the time, in their home poolrooms, to take as much of the humidity out as they can.

Fred Agnir
12-01-2003, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Godzilla:</font><hr>
Does anyone know what a good level of humidity is in a home room? <hr /></blockquote> Low?

I'd say as low as you can without being uncomfortable. For room temperature, I think that might be in the low 30% RH range. What are your temp. and RH reading now?

Fred

ras314
12-01-2003, 12:33 PM
I have seen articles listing 50 to 60% humidity and 70 deg as best for the table furniture. Presumably if the cloth was stretched tight under those conditions it should stay "fast"?

A bar table's cloth here was installed rather loose when the air was dry. Any time the humidity increases it gets really slow. You can easily push up a ridge of cloth with your bridge. Changes almost day to day, very fustrating.

I am courious if different brand/type of cloth responds differently to chainging humidity? Or is it the wood around the slate changing thickness?

NBC-BOB
12-01-2003, 01:50 PM
We installed a table down my friend's basement and had lot's of humidity problem's.The table had 860 cloth and on humid days,the roll was real slow. At first we thought tightening up the cloth some more would help,but it didn't!
He found the dehumidifer to expensive to run all the time, and eventually installed simonis 760 and now it plays like 860 cloth all the time.

Terry
12-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi Godzilla, I would have to agree with Bob. I have a table with the 860 cloth in the basement which has 4' of concrete and a 4' pony wall. I've been fighting with the humidity and table speed for a while now, i've recently restretched the cloth as much as I could and I can tell you when I replace it it'll be with 760 so I can get a little extra speed at the expence of the life of the cloth. I have a dehumidifier running most of the time and the power bill shows it ( but i'll continue to run it ). I live in Nova Scotia and at 50% humidity this time of the year and i'll have to shut the heat off ( 60% is comfortable), in the summer 60% humidity and you'd need a bandana. I'm thinking this summer i'll try an air conditioner. Good luck, Terry

Ralph S.
12-01-2003, 09:10 PM
For a lightning fast table, keep the room temp around 68 -70 and get as much humidity as posssible out of the room. From what you are saying, it sounds like you need a de-humidifier badly, if dont have one already.