PDA

View Full Version : Throwing 15 balls on 7 footer and running Rotation

UWPoolGod
12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Since I moved from Seattle to Vancouver I have not been able to play ANY 9ball on a 9 foot table, which is about all I played up there. There aren't any decent 9's to play on reasonably close by so we play a lot of bar box 8ball. And of course my cueball control concentration has been lacking (being able to shoot multiple balls instead of one).

So Saturday I played about 20 games on rotation on a 7 footer by just pulling the balls out and spreading them with no clusters and runing them in order. Definitely made me have to concentrate that much more to get around balls to set up. Consequently it carried over to Sunday by winning two tourneys. Increased my thinking around clusters for run outs instead of blindly spraying the cueball into the packs and praying for a leave.

Does anyone else practice rotation regularly? I may make it a regular addition to my pre-match/tourney warmups.

Perk
12-01-2003, 02:31 PM
I recently heard that playing straight pool starting with a breakout shot to get started was a way to play. Since I have a 7' table, I have started playing this way to practice and add some pressure to keep the run going. It will definately help ya move some balls where ya need them and control the CB. Plus you can monitor your runs as a gauge for improvement.

I like the rotation idea also, but have gotten too frustrated that way. But have never thrown them out randomly so to speak. Might try that.

Rod
12-01-2003, 02:40 PM
A bar table is real tight area for rotation but why not if you like doing it. It certanly can't hurt plus it has to help with position play. Sometimes I'll play rotation or Fargo but it's on a 9 footer. You have to think a little better plus make more precise strokes if you expect to run out once in a while.

Rod