PDA

View Full Version : rug on concrete

dmgwalsh
12-01-2003, 03:01 PM
My basement table is on concrete. after an eight hour session Saturday night, my dogs were killing me. Does anybody have any suggestions for padding around the table? I wouldn't be lifting up the table and putting the pad underneath it. Just around the sides. Thanks. Dennis

Rod
12-01-2003, 03:10 PM
They sell rubber mats such that are used behind counters in a retail store. They are a little thick so you'd have to give it some thought.

I think the best bet is glued down indoor-outdoor carpet. It is maybe 3/8" or less thick, tops. Just that little cushion would be a great relief. In fact, I'd just carpet the whole area including under the table. But that's just what I think. LOL

Rod

Troy
12-01-2003, 03:34 PM
I know at least 3 pool rooms with indooe/oudoop carpet on comcrete. Seems to work just fine. The better the quality, the longer it wiil last. One room went for less initial dollars and the seams started to fray almost immediately.

dg-in-centralpa
12-01-2003, 03:39 PM
I have indoor/outdoor carpet on my concrete floor under my table with no problems. Definitely helps keep out the dampness.

DG - just my 2c

Rod
12-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Troy,

It does work just fine. Although there is differences in quality, most work and last, you get what you pay for. What I've found is the installers make a big difference. There is a special seam glue and it needs to be done correct. If there is any gaps in the seam sealer it will unravel in a hurry. Good to see you back posting a little.

Rod

woody_968
12-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Base grade commercial carpet or what some call indoor outdoor (not the grass type) is the cheapest and easiest to use. That is what I put under my table and it makes a big difference.
One thing you need to be aware of is this carpet is made of continuous fillament, meening it is one long strand. So if you catch a strand either on the side, or by a pull in the middle, it can create a run.
You can go to lowes or most big box building stores and find what is called carpet seam sealer. Its basically like elmers glue and you run a bead of it along the sides of the carpet to seal those fibers into place and cut down on ravelling. You also need to seperate the rows of carpet with something like running a flat head screw driver down the rows of fiber so you can make what is called a row cut. This way you dont acutally cut the strands very often.
I got some vinyl endcap to put over the edges of my carpet as it doesnt go from wall to wall. This helps protect from pulling the strands, and gives it a nice finished look.

Rod
12-01-2003, 03:48 PM
I forgot to mention it should help big time on dampness. I think Dennis had a problem in that area. The glue used to hold the carpet down woud be a sealer to a fair degree. Good .02 there DG. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif And what about heating costs?

Rod

JimS
12-01-2003, 04:23 PM
I used rug runners in the past. Tape the ends down and bingo a cheap easily replaceable cushioned floor.