PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Award material in my home town



UWPoolGod
12-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Now I know that people from the boonies are stereotypically supposed to be inbread and raping goats and stuff, but it is sad when someone is killed due to others moronic ideas.

So anyways about a mile from my parents house in Amboy, WA near Mt. St. Helens, a metal sided single wide mobile home caught fire and burned to the ground (or shell) last Wednesday. A 6 year old boy was killed while trying to get out and the mom/dad/8 year old son escaped with between 20-40% burns on their bodies.

Ol' smartypants Dad was trying to restart his wood stoves' coals by splashing gasoline on them from right out of the can. Of course this just caused a major flare up igniting the spout and exploding the gas can all over the living room. Trapping the 6 year old behind a wall of flames while the rest of the family could get out safely, some what.

Didn't know the family...very tragic. I'd hate to be daddy for the rest of his life, looking at your son and knowing you killed your other one. Geez.

dg-in-centralpa
12-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately, this is more common than you think. Many years ago, I have a friend who was cooking out on a charcoal grill. He thought since the flames were out that the coals were as well. He proceeded to pour lighter fluid on the coals from out of the container. Lo and behold, the flame from the coals traveled up the stream and right into the container and exploded. He had major burns on his arms, neck, etc. Trouble is, this wasn't a dummy, as he is a licensed plumber. Oh well...

DG - he should have known better

Wally_in_Cincy
12-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Tragic. A lot of stupid people in this world.

A while back some feller on the West side of Hamiltucky decided it would be a good idea to clean his shower curtain in the basement.....with gasoline. He didn't think about the pilot light on the water heater. House literally blew up. Dude died.

A friend of my dad's died about 10 years ago. He was welding a crack in a wheel while the tire was still on it. Bad idea. Turns out the tire had Fix-a-Flat in it. Tire blew up. Blew the guy threw the roof of his garage.