PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity POKER????

Fleece3
12-02-2003, 04:56 AM
I just saw a commercial for a televised celelbrity poker match. HUH? Why hasn't there been a celebrity pool tournament. It would be great for the game. I think we have to do things like this to get the widespread appeal that pool deserves (Like in the Asian countries). More viewership equals more sponsors, better prize money, more players, more Halls, etc etc etc. If golf can have million dollar 1st place payouts, we can at least have a few $100,000 first place events.

Wadda you think?

Kato
12-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Money, money, money.

Kato

Fred Agnir
12-02-2003, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fleece3:</font><hr> I just saw a commercial for a televised celelbrity poker match. HUH? Why hasn't there been a celebrity pool tournament. <hr /></blockquote> Are you talking in general, or specifically television? They have celebrity tournaments. I think Kirby Pucket used to do an annual celebrity tournament.

As far as television goes, when they did the NFL scotch doubles tournament thing on TV, I think that was exciting, but the Cheerleader Tournament was a big flop.

Fred

Steve Lipsky
12-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Well, I disagree. I think that in celebrity-anything tournaments, the anything becomes a simple vehicle for the show. It drives the action, but is not why people watch. People watch because of the stars, and everybody laughs together - star and home viewer - when he can't pocket that ball, or bluff that hand. It's great fun.

Oh, wait, actually it's an excuse to tear your spine out of your back through your nose. If televising bad pool - where it's considered funny to miss - is how you want to reach the masses, I say we just leave the game as is. I'd rather see our best players make $50k-$150k a year doing what they do now, than $500k a year by embarrassing themselves and the game.

- Steve

woody_968
12-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Well Steve I would have to agree with you on this one. Just watched the Celebrity poker on TV and it was terrible! I understand its for charity and entertainment, but watching people make such stupid mistakes takes all the fun out of it for me. And didnt do anything to enhance poker in my opinion.

Cueless Joey
12-02-2003, 11:39 PM
I remember the Celebrity Battle of the Sexes 8-ball match between Suzanne Sommers and Jack Klugman.
Hosted by that drunken Family Feud guy, Richard Dawson.
It was handicapped like Suzanne had to shoot less number of balls like it was any help.
Jack pockets the 8-ball and loses for not calling it.
Suzanne stupidly celebrates. Dumb, just dumb event.
Now, if we can have celebrity strip hicky pool ( chicks only allowed), that'd be something.
Somebody needs to go to ESPN and get a tv contract. Let them run it for crying out loud.

buddha162
12-03-2003, 04:19 AM
Someone suggested here or on another forum the idea of televising gambling tournaments between players, much like the world poker series where chips are played but the prize money remains seperate (winner wins a fixed amount). I think this is a great idea, and will be 20x better than the boring ass pool shown on espn.

Get Keith and Buddy and Earl and Efren and Rodney and Chao and whoever and watch them negotiate weight on camera. No dress code, like the world poker series, and all the trash-talking allowed. But it can't be staged, it must be natural, spontaneous, and I gaurantee it'll draw a bigger crowd than the present (sad) format. Oh, and no idiotic applause by the crowd.

I think pool will never be able to compete with the established sports. It needs to be marketed differently, as illustrated above, or as a reality show (follow a good road player on the road and sell it to HBO, for instance). jmho...

Roger

woody_968
12-03-2003, 10:05 AM
I could only imagine listening to Keith and Earl talk smack as they tried to match up /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Now that would be must see TV!!!