PDA

View Full Version : Aiming consciously!

JimS
12-02-2003, 08:43 AM
This probably won't be of interest to good players but to us mid-level hacks it might fit.

I have a tendency let up on my intensity and just kinda casually aim for the pocket...just the pocket, without being consciously aware of a pinpoint target within the pocket then really focusing on hitting that pinpoint target.

When I don't focus on a pinpoint target within the pocket it seems to me that some unconscious part of my brain takes over and the aiming point automatically becomes the back of the pocket...and that's not necessairly a bad thing if the shot is coming from the correct angle. BUT..if the shot is coming from some angle other than straight in then shooting for the back of the pocket may cause the object ball to hit the rail coming in. In practice it happens to me frequently...it was just happening this morning and is the reason for this post.

It feels so dammed dumb to hit the same shot 5 or 8 times in a row and have the same results every time.....knocking the ob into the rail going in time after time and getting more frustrated every time and seeing that I'm consistent so the stroke must be ok and wondering what the hell is wrong with my aiming method and am I holding my head wrong..and..and..and..and..and.......and finally, after I'm almost ready to bang the stick down on the rail, remembering that I'm not REALLY AIMING, I'm just "looking" at the pocket!

Then I REALLY focus on the pocket and realize that I want to hit the back edge of the facing, get down on the shot and AIM at the pinpoint spot I want the ob to hit and whaddayaknow! I hit the facing and the shot goes in. DUH!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

woody_968
12-02-2003, 12:16 PM
I dont think anyone could ever get good enough that they do not loose focus once in a while and aim sloppily. For me its not just picking an exact spot of the pocket, but needing to be very precise with my object ball point and not just look at the ball.
On a side note, something alot of people dont understand is that the middle of the pocket actually moves depending on what angle you are comming into the pocket from. Im sure there has been many a debate on this topic /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
12-03-2003, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a tendency let up on my intensity <hr /></blockquote>
Jim, Dont let up on intensity,always going out there giving it your all!As if every shot was worth a million bucks!:)
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
12-03-2003, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
understand is that the middle of the pocket actually moves depending on what angle you are comming into the pocket <hr /></blockquote>
This is a very strong statement- if you set up a ball dead center to a pocket and then using your hands, you see how much room you have to pocket the ball, its fine-now, give the ball an angle and again, set your hands up to center the pocket, you wouldnt imagine how much room you have to make that ball-its called "Reading the pocket!Good statement!
Take care!
Carol:)

socrates
12-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Two items from my first pool sensei, Mark Wilson, come to mind.

"When you get tired of missing - start aiming." and
"You can not turn precision on and off."

A related experience is the visualization of results. When I have not completely visualized the shot and the route of the cue ball and it floating into postion my game suffers. When I am seeing these things clearly in my mind as part of the pre-shot routine, I am more focused over the shot and my play is stronger.

How many times might you not have made up your mind on which side of the line you want the cue ball to fall on for your next shot, pulled the trigger, and the cue ball ends up dead on the line (not on either side) with no way home. I think this is an example of the power of the subconcious, since it did not have a clear result pictured it processes the middle ground automatically.

Well enough of the Zen.
Good luck - Don't shoot until you see it.

Rod
12-03-2003, 01:55 PM
I've never read Zen, but visualiation, or lack of it as you described is bound to happen. Problem is that can be good or bad. Like you said, better have a clear visual path or chances are you'll end up in deep doo-doo.

Rod