PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics Problem

c.holtz009
12-02-2003, 09:58 PM
As of lately, I have been sort of jumping up on my shots, and anyone here can guess what that does to one's game.
I never used to do this, and now I can't seem to stop. I make a conscious effort to stay down on my shots, but after a while, I start popping up again.
Any and all words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

As far as my stance and stroke go, I have been told they are textbook. I just can't keep my head down on my shots for some odd reason, and lately it has made my game fall way off.

Thanks all!!!

Alfie
12-02-2003, 11:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> I make a conscious effort to stay down on my shots, but after a while, I start popping up again.
Any and all words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. <hr /></blockquote> Make a conscious effort to stay down on your shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Exaggerate the length of time that you stay down for a while.

Watch other players who jump up on the shot stroke and note how poorly they play. Tell yourself that you don't want to be the miserable, wretched player those other guys are.

MarkUrsel
12-03-2003, 04:07 AM
Don't start the heavy drinking until AFTER you play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
12-03-2003, 04:57 AM
Two things that might help...FREEZE at the end of your followthrough. Don't move a muscle until the OB drops into the pocket (watch them on tv...most the them play this way);
and also try putting a little more weight/pressure on your bridge hand when you play. This also helps you to stay down.

Scott Lee

SPetty
12-03-2003, 06:34 AM
When I find myself popping up, it's usually because I wasn't as comfortable when down as I should be. That is, I'm getting out of that uncomfortable position as soon as possible, popping up. So, just make sure that you are as comfortable as possible when down, so you'll want to stay there! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anonamus
12-03-2003, 06:50 AM
You may be putting too much weight on your back foot. Do what Scott Lee suggested, but instead of weighting your bridge hand, try to weight your front foot more. I think I read somewhere that you should be balanced well enough that if someone pulled the pool table out from under you, you should not fall over. If you put all your weight on your bridge hand you may be comprimising your balance.

Also, train yourself not to watch the ball go in the pocket. Just focus on the contact point of the OB and freeze after the shot, like Scott Lee suggested. Try to listen for the sound of the ball dropping into the pocket.

I will sometimes pop-up after a short draw shot because I want to pull the cue out of the way too soon. So make sure that you are following through

CarolNYC
12-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Hi there,
I think the keyword here is "discipline"-just as any athlete begins, they always do the same exact form /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif-as everyone has said ,preshot routines,stance,but you'll have to discipline yourself and it will take time-Im currently working on my own self discipline-just have patience-you'll do fine!
Good luck!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#### leonard
12-03-2003, 07:55 AM
You can have a blacksmith make you a horse shoe collar with as many shoes as your neck can hold. This will cure the jumping up or the easy way is to always pose for a picture when you deliver the cue.####

JimS
12-03-2003, 08:07 AM
Pose for the picture AND say cheese while you are still down.

Sorta joking but sorta not. Saying cheese will make you grin and relax and you'll be staying down while that's happening.

Oh..don't say it outloud. There will be talk regarding your sanity and your future in civilized society. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheesemouse
12-03-2003, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> As of lately, I have been sort of jumping up on my shots, and anyone here can guess what that does to one's game.
I never used to do this, and now I can't seem to stop. I make a conscious effort to stay down on my shots, but after a while, I start popping up again.
Any and all words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

As far as my stance and stroke go, I have been told they are textbook. I just can't keep my head down on my shots for some odd reason, and lately it has made my game fall way off.

Thanks all!!! <hr /></blockquote>

In addition to other advice given I would like to add something that helps me. There is a great baseball hitter that said he could see the threads on the baseball when it left the pitchers hand. Extending this thought to pool just try and pick up the first couple revolutions of the cueball after it contacts the object ball. Focusing on this detail of the shot seems to keep me down and solid long enough to keep my mechanics good.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif you can also say 'cheese' while doing this...LOL...after all the 'Magician' is always smiling when he plays...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
12-03-2003, 08:28 AM
I've always been told to tie a string around my neck, and dangle a large treble hook under my groin area. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Luckily, I've never had to resort to this method. Instead, I just make a concentrated effort to replace the bad habit with the good one. For me it takes work, and repetition to form new, desirable habits. I don't know of a quick fix, darn it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hopefully, some of the stance solutions will help you get your game back sooner.

Rich R.
12-03-2003, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I've always been told to tie a string around my neck, and dangle a large treble hook under my groin area. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I have heard about this method too.
It is just as effective as the horse shoe collar and a lot easier to carry around with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fortunately, I have never had to use it. I just get confortable in my stance and, after the shot, I am just too lazy to get up quickly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Qtec
12-03-2003, 09:03 AM
A friend of mine has had the same problem for years. He comes up on almost every shot. The harder he has to hit it,the more he jumps up.
To combat this problem, he gets lower and lower. His chin is always on the cue.
This isnt a problem so long as you can cue freely. If you are too low and as a consequence hampering your follow thru, you will automatically come up on the shot.

Sometimes this problem can be cured by just shifting your wieght a little forward.

Hope this helps.

Qtec

TomBrooklyn
12-03-2003, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr>I just can't keep my head down on my shots<hr /></blockquote>Barring some unusual physical force acting upon you, it is not true that you "can't" keep your head down. You actually chose not to keep your head down, or perhaps you chose not to remind yourself to keep your head down. When you pick your head up, instead of thinking to yourself "I couldn't keep my head down.", try thinking "I chose to pick my head up." Adopting this wording and type of thinking will make you realize you have a choice. When you realize that you will likely feel empowered.

When you shoot, notice how you feel. Don't beat youself up over it, just notice. If you don't like the way it feels, then chose to do something different and see how that feels.

Candyman
12-03-2003, 12:02 PM
I had the same problem until I had my lesson with Scott Lee. He quickly pointed out that my pre-shot routine was non-existant. Once I established a routine, I was able to focus completely on that one shot. It made an unbelieveable difference. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
12-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Keep your eyes quiet and focused until well after contact. Don't let them follow the c/b or o/b immediately afterwards, if you do then you'll see the poor results. I doubt your stroke is exactly textbook. Something is causing you to get a little rushed and I'll bet your stroke is a little rushed and cut off to a small degree also. It doesn't take much. Lack of confidence or unsure of ball making or the c/b travel is a good reason.

Practice your pre shot and make sure you visualize what is suppose to happen. Don't get down until your sure then let instinct take over and play pool. You'll have to work on staying down but playing a quiet mental inner game of pool will help. Nothing is rushed in your little world or I should say during your pre-shot or shot. LOL Keep in mind every day life can change how you react to situations. Has anything changed, stress? Do you consume any or any more sugar or caffeine? Just a thought.

Rod