PDA

View Full Version : What happens?

Qtec
12-03-2003, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Israel steps up West Bank raids
Israel has arrested some 30 Palestinian militants in a series of raids on the eve of talks in Egypt aimed at securing a new truce from Palestinian groups.
Seventeen members of Islamic Jihad were arrested in Jenin, and other militants were held after raids in Ramallah, Israeli army sources said.

The news comes amid a row between the US and Israel over the unofficial Geneva peace plan for the Middle East.

Palestinian officials said the raids could prompt a new cycle of violence.

Israel defended the renewed military operations, saying they had pre-empted a fresh wave of suicide attacks.

Three Hamas militants and a Palestinian boy of six were killed by Israeli forces in Ramallah on Monday, hours before the alternative peace deal took the international stage in Geneva.

On Tuesday, the plan was overshadowed by more violence, as Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinians in the West Bank.

'New settlements'

The Israeli Government is reported to have approved the construction of more than 1,720 new houses in Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip this year.

<hr /></blockquote>

What happens if it turns out that the Israelis dont want peace?
Its a possibility that I dont think ths US admin has considered.

Q web page (http://Israel steps up West Bank raids )

UWPoolGod
12-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Then they'll go ahead and suicide bomb each other to death. Just pull all of our nonmilitary forces out of there and let em go to town on each other. Personally I think they should just nuke the little strip of land they are fighting over and irradiate everything and see who wants it then. We should just bomb the whole middle east and turn it into a big glass sheet...or a parking lot.

Qtec
12-03-2003, 10:47 AM
You're not related to Wally or eg8r by any chance?

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
12-03-2003, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What happens if it turns out that the Israelis dont want peace?
Its a possibility that I dont think ths US admin has considered. <hr /></blockquote> LOL, since you have thought of every angle, why don't you suggest your services to them. Surely they could use someone like you around. What a joke.

eg8r

eg8r
12-03-2003, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then they'll go ahead and suicide bomb each other to death. <hr /></blockquote> I see your humor in the statement, however I needed to point out one thing...There have not been any Israeli suicide bombers so far. This is to the best of my knowledge, but I believe all the homicide bombers have been palestinians.

eg8r

Qtec
12-03-2003, 11:06 AM
I think they could use some 'altrenative thinking', dont you?

Do you play chess? They say that to be able to play good chess you have to see the game through your opponent's eyes.

I see very little understanding between the US and Araba/Arab States.

Q

Qtec
12-03-2003, 11:13 AM
I have to agree!

the Israelis use tanks and helicopters and jet fighters and guided missiles.

There is no good or bad guy in this situation anymore.

The majority of Palestinians and Israelis want peace, its the fanatics on both sisdes that are the problem.

You cant justify the suicide bombings but dont you think that if the Palestinians had tanks they wouldnt be using suicide bombers? This is a measure of their desperation.

Q

Iowashark
12-03-2003, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I see very little understanding between you and how not to take an article and turn it into a ridiculous bias translation of said article.

Nightstalker
12-03-2003, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I see very little understanding between you and how not to take an article and turn it into a ridiculous bias translation of said article. <hr /></blockquote>
Well put, this is very true.

UWPoolGod
12-03-2003, 11:33 AM
There have not been any Israeli suicide bombers so far. &lt;--eg8r

You are right...because Isreal has enough money in their government to send their choppers or tanks in to do the work. I was mainly talking about the eye for an eye stuff that's been going on.

eg8r
12-03-2003, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are right...because Isreal has enough money in their government to send their choppers or tanks in to do the work. I was mainly talking about the eye for an eye stuff that's been going on. <hr /></blockquote> I understand what you are saying, but I think there is another difference. The homicide bombers are going into crowded areas, stores, buses, etc and blowing up innocent people. For the most part, the Israelis have tried to keep innocent casualties to a minimum.

eg8r

nAz
12-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Israel Grounds Pilots Who Refused Mission
Israel's Air Force Temporarily Grounds Reserve Pilots Who Refused Palestinian-Area Missions

read this (http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20030925_1419.html)

maybe we should cut back on their aide?

Israel Fumes at U.S. Opening to Doves, Steps Up Raids

Dec. 3 ? By Mark Heinrich

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel fumed Wednesday over Secretary of State Colin Powell's plan to meet the authors of a symbolic peace accord despite fierce Israeli objections.

The Israeli army stepped up raids into West Bank cities to net Palestinian militants, underscoring obstacles on the ground to a diplomatic initiative that emerged in the vacuum of the derailed U.S.-sponsored peace plan, known as the road map.

"We don't want to argue with Powell," government spokesman Avi Pazner said, without elaborating, a day after Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's deputy warned the secretary of state it would be wrong to give his imprimatur to the alternative initiative.

Pressure has grown on intransigent incumbents on both sides to overcome a long, bloody Middle East stalemate since Israeli opposition doves and Palestinian moderates launched the "Geneva Accord" to international acclaim Monday.

Palestinian authorities have welcomed the initiative but not endorsed the fine print, while Israel's right-wing government has denounced it as treacherous and cranked up raids in West Bank areas after a relative two-month lull.

Israel has also got into a rare public spat with Washington by chiding Powell's decision to hear out the Geneva Accord architects at talks in Washington likely later this week.

An Israeli army spokesman said 27 wanted Palestinians were arrested in overnight swoops into Palestinian President Yasser Arafat's West Bank base city of Ramallah and the northern town of Jenin targeting primarily the militant faction Islamic Jihad.

Three Hamas militants and a Palestinian boy of six were killed by Israeli armored forces in an incursion into Ramallah Monday, hours before the alternative peace deal took the international stage at a ceremony in Geneva.

Palestinian officials said the raid seemed timed to upset the Geneva launch and was counterproductive as it would provoke militants to hit back, spinning anew a cycle of violence prevailing for much of a three-year-old Palestinian uprising for statehood.

Sharon's government said the incursion pre-empted a fresh wave of suicide attacks and, to reaffirm its case that the symbolic peace pact was dangerous, again accused Palestinian leaders of indulging "terrorism."

Militants have begun Egyptian-mediated truce talks in Cairo.

AMBITIOUS ALTERNATIVE PLAN

The Geneva pact envisages a Palestinian state like the road map but goes further in requiring the dissolution of most Jewish settlements from the West Bank and Gaza and the right of Israel to decide how many Palestinian refugees to take back.

The two steps have inflamed Israel's pro-settler right and Palestinian militants respectively. But world leaders past and present have hailed the accord as the basis of future compromise and urged Israeli and Palestinian leaders to capitalize on it.

U.S. officials stressed the six-month-old road map remained the way to go but rebuffed Israel's attempt to discredit the more ambitious Geneva accord and said Powell would meet its initiators in Washington later in the week.

During a visit to Tunisia Tuesday, Powell -- whose State Department is seen by Sharon's government as sympathetic to Palestinian positions -- said he had the right to meet anyone with fresh ideas on an elusive Middle East peace.

"We are not stepping back in any way from our commitment to the road map and we hope that circumstances and conditions will permit the resumption of progress on the road map in the near future," Powell told reporters.

"(But) I do not know why I or anyone else in the U.S. government should deny ourselves the opportunity to hear from others who are committed to peace and who have ideas."

Rod
12-03-2003, 03:12 PM
I give, what happens? Time for a nap

Chris Cass
12-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi Qtec,

I don't discuss polotics but for once I'll give you my take on the whole situation. In that part of the world these people have been at odds with eachother since the beginning of time.

They have their own way of life that is hard but their beliefs are simple. They're yrs behind in their thinking only because they've never changed. They live a hard life as I mentioned.

They think we have no business getting between their fight and we really don't. The main problem is we have to because of their access to weapons of mass destruction. We don't need their oil. I believe we purchase it just to get them to turn towards our way of life.

If we exceed in turning them into our way of thinking then, we can reason with them. They wouldn't be that advanced if we didn't influence them this far. We've been turning them slow but surely and that hasn't been too far since the biblicle times. Their still far behind. The internet has brought them a little closer or atleast made the world recognize what's happening there.

In my personal opinion, I don't think we should get involved in anything or anyones way of life. Vietnam was another huge mistake. Our boys fought a war that our country wouldn't let them win. Then they dogg'em when they come home.

We have to have rules though. That's why it's so important to have the United Nations in charge. People can't go any other way. We're careless. Look at the way they drive in Egypt. That's a prime example.

I'm not smart nor am I up to date on the polotics in our times but I do know, people everywhere on this planet need eachother to survive.

Regards,

C.C.~~some day I'll tell you the reason I turned republican. You'll never guess why.

Cueless Joey
12-03-2003, 06:52 PM
I have nothing to worry about.
I'm a non-active Catholic.
I believe I can still walk around Israel without getting attacked by Religous zealots.
I wonder how safe I would be if I were wearing a rosary in Saudi Arabia.
Kinda funny though about the insinuation that Israel doesn't want peace. Who employs more Palestinians than Israel? I wonder if Palestinia's all caring neighbors left them alone and or implored them to work it out with Israel, what would happen?
Oh wait, they are never going to do that.
After all those Jews are evil. Kinda funny though. Israel might be the only truely free country in that region.

Qtec
12-03-2003, 09:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

Q <hr /></blockquote>

I see very little understanding between you and how not to take an article and turn it into a ridiculous bias translation of said article. <hr /></blockquote>

What bias translation?

Up till now its always been the Palestinians who have been portrayed as the opponents of peace.

If Israel were to follow the 'Road Map'they would have to stop building the wall,give back land and remove settlements. I dont think Sharon is prepared to do that.

Q