PDA

View Full Version : More great experiences:

Scott Van Dyke
12-03-2003, 05:01 PM
I know similar threads are in the archives, but I always enjoy reading them. Here's another:

About three years or so ago, four co-workers and I went to Romines' High Pockets to start the night out playing pool. We order some drinks, pizza, and are playing some innocent 8-ball. Me, I'm looking at the other tables, sizing up the competition around me.

Right next to us is an older gentleman (dare I mention that he is of African-American decent /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) moving some balls around by himself. He's got a dressed up stick, and nobody is paying him much attention.

I announce to my friends that I'll challenge him to a game. I'm sure he's good, and I'm always looking for someone better than I am to challenge.

After a minute of coaxing, he begins to rack up nine. I plead for the remaining six balls, and he obliges(sp?). We agree to $2, and he tells me to break. Cool. Advantage: Scott.

Wrong.

I run out two or three balls, and miss. He proceeds to use follow on every shot, leave himself in the center of the table, and not miss. All while not even concentrating.

Long story short:

I talked him into beating me three games. I got to shoot twice in three games. My buddies watched and just laughed. I gave him the six bucks, thanked him for his time, and ate some pizza as I fended off all the riducule. The [censored] cocktail waitress even thought I was getting hustled.

I walked up to the manager, and asked who I just played. He taold me it was Willie Munson. And that "He's rated the number-one colored player in the nation."

First time I had ever heard the name.

My take? My uncle says I was lucky to have only played him for $2 a rack.

I can honestly say that Willie was one of the nicest people I've ever met. I think he even missed on purpose once during the second game to see how I'd play. I failed to even show up.

Just a truely awesome time that I'll never forget. Perhaps I'll get to thank him sometime. He lives in Milwaukee from what I understand, and that's where I'm from.

I also heard (and I don't know if it's true) that Forest Whitiker's(sp?) character in The Color of Money was based on Willie Munson. Any truth to that?

woody_968
12-03-2003, 10:27 PM
Willie used to come into town once in a while looking for a local player, truely one of the nicest guys I have ever met. The first time I met him we talked for a while, I told him the local player hadnt been around and he left as one of my other friends came in. When my friend told me who I had been talking to I couldnt believe it!

Scott Lee
12-04-2003, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Van Dyke:</font><hr> I also heard (and I don't know if it's true) that Forest Whitiker's(sp?) character in The Color of Money was based on Willie Munson. Any truth to that? <hr /></blockquote>

Scott...Willie is known by the nickname, The Beadman, and is every bit the nice guy you described. However, there is no truth to the thing about COM. That is a novel, with no reference to 'real' people. Walter Tevis, the author, said all characters were made up...including Fast Eddie, and Minnesota Fats (from The Hustler).

Scott Lee

NH_Steve
12-04-2003, 06:56 AM
A pool player friend and I went to watch a tournament in the early seventies -- probably in New London, CT, but maybe in one of the very very few other rooms that ran tourneys up this way back in those dark ages /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif We saw Willie draw the cue ball the length of the table from the far end of the table and were so impressed with the shot that for years afterwards whenever my friend saw or executed any kind of strong draw stroke he would always say 'Willie Munson' /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#### leonard
12-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Willie Munson one great guy/player. We would play in between matches at Mike Ashes in Elizabeth,NJ. Always enjoyed playing Willie.####

Wally_in_Cincy
12-05-2003, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Van Dyke:</font><hr>
.....I walked up to the manager, and asked who I just played. He taold me it was Willie Munson. ....<hr /></blockquote>

Well I guess he's still playing well. I saw in Inside Pool that he finished fifth recently on one of the regional tour stops. Sorry can't recall which one. But it was a strong field.