PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by ccboard_admin

12-04-2003, 11:00 AM

UWPoolGod
12-04-2003, 11:29 AM
A guy I went to UW with, who was older than me that I wanted to beat, was a bad kid through high school. He ended up getting kicked out but eventually got his GED and got into UW. Now he has his masters in Electrical Engineering and Physics doing laser/optics stuff. Go figure.

Anyways when he was in his "bad stage" he was shooting a lot of pool with Cole and then Cole went on the road and my friend got his GED and quit pool. He always said he was unbelievable. I have never seen or heard that much about him since.

Sally
12-04-2003, 11:45 AM
You can read about Cole Dixon in David McCumber's book, "Playing Off the Rail." He has a section on Cole where David backs him against Harry Platis. Pretty good stuff!

UWPoolGod
12-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Pretty much everyone tries to get backed against Harry. Big piece of the gambling pie still in Seattle. But you don't get his money for nothing, got to give out some good spots for the opportunity of a piece of his millions. Solid one pocket player for sure butthe better player shave to spot him well...he's not giving it away. Watched Monk and Harry going $1000/rack about 4 years ago. Left before the match ended so don't know who got the better of it.

But Cole is a fine player from everything I have heard.

RailbirdJAM
12-04-2003, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> I would first of all like to welcome all of the newbies to CCB. The more the merrier.

I have asked this question before, and only one or two had even heard of The 'Kid' Cole Dixon. Then I saw him mentioned in Billiards Digest either this month or last month's issues, as one of the great road hustlers.

I saw him play in Weenie Beenies one time and as of today I have never seen a player who could shoot (9 ball) like he could - Efren or anybody for that matter. Was I dreaming or what? Please tell me of your opinion of Cole.

Thanks in advance, Whitewolf <hr /></blockquote>

I heard it from a reliable source that Cole Dixon had some property in Utah and built a house there in the '80s. Before that, he lived in northern California; Fremont, I believe.

He was one of the best 9-ball players in the world in the late '70s and early '80s. Wade Crane and Richie Florence were the only two back then that had a chance to beat him.

He was a colorful player to watch and was a handsome-looking kid with long blond hair, blue eyes, and he "could draw his ball," as the saying went back then.

Last Cole sighting, he has been known to frequent the Reno tournaments occurring in June or December.

RailbirdJAM

Popcorn
12-04-2003, 12:17 PM
I saw him play numerous times. I would put him in that class of player that seem to have a few good years and then fade. There are quite a few players who have played the game better then everyone else at one time or another but they don't maintain it. I don't think that makes a player great. Take a player like Hall, that has been a top player since around 1972, over 30 years and at any time, is still a threat to win any tournament, that is a great player. The rest are good, but flash in the pan. Dixon played good but, so did a lot of other players, no hall of fame though.

Scott Lee
12-04-2003, 02:22 PM
WW...Cole Dixon, although he may have lived some other places, has always been from eastern WA, and still lives there today! Like many players, Cole has had his problems with alcohol &amp; drugs, but is said to be clean and sober these days. He can STILL hit 'em very well, and plays in several tournaments. I believe he was here in MT last weekend for the big annual tournament here, that draws all the top Canadian players, plus the top guns from WA, MT, ID, WY, CO, SD and ND. The Canadiens have won for the past couple of years. I was out of town, and don't know who won this year.

Scott Lee

tateuts
12-05-2003, 09:26 AM
I saw him play Ronnie Allen on a snooker table in the mid 1970's out here in Los Angeles. No contest - Cole won easily. He was a road and money player - I don't think he went the tournament route too much. He looked like the surfer boy next door - not the lights-out player he was. I bet he suprised some people.

Chris

Rod
12-05-2003, 11:28 AM
ww,

Cole was a good player and an excellent shotmaker in the 70's when I played him, he didn't get there. LOL That doesn't take away from how well he played because he did. He was a good looking long haired kid, like me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've heard people talk about some of his spectacular shots but I'm inclined to think like Popcorn.

He lived here a few years ago and the alcohol was taking it's toll. I never saw him during that time but some said he drank way to much and couldn't play.

Rod