PDA

View Full Version : Those damn Yankees...

UWPoolGod
12-04-2003, 11:03 AM
...just up and buy the league. Give me a break. Sheffield, Gordon, Quantrill, now Vasquez. Steinbrenner must be embarrassed they lost to Florida. You New York people have no idea what other team fans go through and how excited we get for getting someone like...DA DA DA...Raul Ibanez....wow what an aquisition. While year after year you sit there going through the top of the free agent list going..."We'll take him and him and him..." I say we don't play this year and just put the WS flag up in New York and go on to the next one. Man I hate those damn Yankees....

Cueless Joey
12-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Hopefully another wild card team kicks their azz next year.
Like what my Angels and the Marlins did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Stinkbrenner, stinkbrenner, stinkbrenner.

eg8r
12-04-2003, 12:15 PM
The Marlins proved it is not all about the money spent on players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It pains me to say it, but all of George's money could not beat them during that world series.

eg8r

Voodoo Daddy
12-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Its his dough, his team and the NY fans dont settle for second best and I hope builds an unstopable team. I love the YANKEES, the town and the fans. Thank God I'm a YANKEE!!

moblsv
12-04-2003, 04:45 PM
MLB ruined Baseball a long time ago. The joke that is the Yankees is just a symptom of the bigger problems of the owners, players union and MLB. Baseball is nothing more than a business and the fans are nothing more than a revenue source. Get used to it.

I have to admit that there is still one draw for me. There isn't much that I enjoy more than watching the Yankees lose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
12-04-2003, 07:17 PM
The Yankees aint the only movers and shakers this off season. The Cubs acquired Derek Lee from the Marlins and got a major bullpen boost by signing LaToy Hawkins.

Also, what abouth the big Curt Schilling deal the Red Sox pulled off? Boston is also looking at a mega-trade to try and get Alex Rodrigeuz. If they get A-Rod, the Yanks wont win the A.L. East division. Boston will be too powerful.

CarolNYC
12-05-2003, 03:11 AM
WORD!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
12-05-2003, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If they get A-Rod, the Yanks wont win the A.L. East division. Boston will be too powerful. <hr /></blockquote> Well, then the Yankees could get Nomar for short and move Jeter to 2nd. LOL At this point they could afford to send Soriano to a batting coach for a little while. Teach him the strike zone and the benefits of not striking out everytime he comes to the plate.

eg8r

UWPoolGod
12-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Teach him the strike zone and the benefits of not striking out everytime he comes to the plate. &lt;-- eg8r

LOL! Same thing my friend said when I told him Sexson was going to Arizona.."what they had a giant gaping hole in their lineup for a huge K-masta?"

Richie Sexson went to our district rival school in high school (Prairie High) in Vancouver, WA. He was a senior when I was a freshman at Battle Ground High. My best friend pitched in the last game of the year one inning against his team and struck him out. But then again my friend set the Babe Ruth World Series record playing summer ball when he was 17 with 18 K's in a 7 inning game. Had a 1-hitter.

Iowashark
12-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Not to mention that Giambi will probably be suspended for steroid use and Karim Garcia will most likely be in jail...I"m not sure for what, but that thug can't seem to stay out of trouble. What a loser.

Kato
12-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Nomar will end up moving back home and play for the Dodgers soon. I find it hard to believe that the Red Sox could possibly swing a deal for A-Rod. As much as I love Nomar I doubt it's a straight trade.

Kato~~~waiting for Pudge to resign here.

Iowashark
12-05-2003, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>

Kato~~~waiting for Pudge to resign here. <hr /></blockquote>

Dave~~waiting for the Cubbies to sign a decent catcher
(Hopefully Pudge)

Kato
12-05-2003, 09:59 AM
Pudge will probably be heading up the east coast if he doesn't sign here (sorry Cub fans).

I believe it's quite possible that Rich and Cathy R are negotiating with him as we speak. Rich, care to comment on Pudge moving north to Camden or is there some sort of regulation preventing it?

Kato

UWPoolGod
12-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Well the Rangers said today that they would look into a A-Rod for Manny Ramirez trade, but the Red Sox would have to pick up all of A-Rods money and most of Mannys. Yeah....thats a great deal. NOT!!!

eg8r
12-05-2003, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I read that also. A bit crazy if you ask me. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote espn website:</font><hr> The Rangers saving at least $10 million per year. Half of that savings would come from swapping A-Rod with Ramirez straight up. The rest would need to come from the Red Sox paying part of Ramirez's salary. In essence, the Red Sox would be paying A-Rod an average of $25 million to $30 million for each of the next five years. <hr /></blockquote> Crazy world. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is A-Rod worth that kind of money? Will he be that much of an impact on the team? Only if they win the series will it be worth it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
12-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Soriano has TERRIBLE plate discipline. I guess it is not that big of a deal these days since everyone only cares about homeruns. One swing of the bat removes all those previous strike-outs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I love to see the homeruns, but I liked watching the 98 Yankees much more than the current ones. It is so boring to see them go up, strike out twice, one guy walk, the next guy hit a home run. Now they are up 2-0. From that point on, everyone will strike-out until they need more runs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am die-hard Yankee fan, but I would like to see the 98 team back over the current one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif [ QUOTE ]
But then again my friend set the Babe Ruth World Series record playing summer ball when he was 17 with 18 K's in a 7 inning game. Had a 1-hitter. <hr /></blockquote> Wow, sounds like he might have a future playing ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Where is he now?

eg8r

UWPoolGod
12-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Well he defintely puts up MVP numbers each year but that much money only destroys a team on total salary management. If they paid him even $15 million, they could take that extra tem million and give $5 million to two quality pitchers which has always been their problems even before AROD got there. Like Vasquez that the Yankees just picked up. Awesome pitcher...made ~$4,750,000 last yeat. 13-12 record playing on a bad team...with a 3.something ERA. Then take the other $5 million and get some top notch relievers cause the starters are getting belted around..better have someone to at least hold for a come back. Man I could talk baseball all day. Love it.

Keith Talent
12-05-2003, 11:42 AM
I feel like all decent folk are on the Castro watch when it comes to George. Eventually, he will fade from the scene and you couldn't find anybody half as wacko to take his place ... then the last remnants of the evil empire will crumble. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato
12-05-2003, 11:46 AM
I love lead off hitters that hit 48 homers a year like Soriano /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif He does swing for the fences way too much and I don't care much for him as a player. Jeter on the other hand earned all of my respect last year in the post season. He's a big game player with big time heart.

Any deal with A-Rod has to involve contract re-negotiations. No team other than the Yankees could ever take on that contract. I hope to everything that the Red Sox aren't so desperate to beat the Yankees that they go off and sacrifice everything to win. Just getting A-Rod doesn't guarantee anything. If you do bring A-Rod in where does he play? Where does Nomar play? They would have to trade Nomar as well. Personally, after last year I couldn't care less if Man-Ram puts on the great Red Sox jersey again. I think he disrespected the uniform and his fans last year. I wish Kevin Millar would "Cowboy up" and smack him in the head. They should thaw out Ted Williams and the "Splendid Splinter" should teach him about being a man and hitting.

Kato

UWPoolGod
12-05-2003, 11:48 AM
He was heavily scouted...6'3" cornfed country boy throwing 94 his senior year..all-state team. But he told all the scouts that if he wasn't picked higher than the 6th round (at least a $100K signing bonus) he was going to college. So they all said screw that and he went in the 42nd round I think..somewhere in there. So he went to the University of Hawaii (tough life). After his senior year he pitched for the same Babe Ruth team damn near every other game and one pitch he had felt a twinge in his shoulder. Kept pitching...when he got to college his freshman year he injured it worse and had to have surgery. A year of rehabilitation later he could only throw around 86. And that was only for a few innings. So he quit baseball and finished up school, had an inury clause in his contract that he got 5 years of school regardless of injury. Pretty sad. Could be in the majors if he really wanted to play ball right out of high school. They were going to pick him around the 8th round or so. Still pretty damned high being in the top 240 players picked from HS/college/other countries.
The other good pitcher in the league that year (1996) was Chris Gissel who was picked real high by the Cubs, first round I think. Heard he blew out his rotator cuff the next year fielding a chopper to the mound.
I was the best player on the worst team in the league. We were 5-31 my two years of varsity. Should have transferred team like my friend did...he went over to the best team in the league for more recognition. Was funny...they didn't want to waste him on our terrible team so they put their #2 pitcher agianst us. My friend being the great guy that the is told their pitcher not to throw me any fastballs (I was a fastball hitter). So the pitcher starts off with a curveball in the dirt and so I am sitting fastball...get it..and take it over the left field wall for a 3 run homer. As I am rounding third I look at my friend and he has his hands over his face. So he tells the guy again no fast balls. Same thing, curveball in the dirt, sit fastball...get it...take him out over dead center 370' w/20'fence for a 2 run shot. Crushed. He just shook his head and laughed as I rounded third this time.
I played on a another Babe Ruth/Connie Mack team in the same league as my friend that summer. We played in a tourney in Seattle and played against Adam Eaton's (Padres starter) summer team. We started to get into a brawl against him pitching...after many foul balls one of our players clapped on the way down to first after a single. Eaton walks to towards first and says "Do that again and I'll bean you in your F'ing head" Our dugout was on the first base side and we all started walking to the mound yelling at him. Didn't matter that their whole team were the 6'4" all-stars of Seattle. We were going to beat his ass. Eventually the umps restored order. I hit a 2RBI double off him later that game.

Both my claims to fame in amateur baseball...besides playing high school basketball with Richie Frahm (Seattle Sonics) and stealing the ball from Dan Dickau (Atlanta Hawks) and scoring. Both went to Gonzaga.

Ah I miss sports. Kept playing in a 18-30 baseball league the summers back from college in Portland but the pitching sucked which made it fun for me as a hitter. Hit .630 with 6 homeruns in 18 games the last year I played. But noone wanted to play the next year so we quit.

Now I sit around playing pool and drinking beer....man what a change. LOL

eg8r
12-05-2003, 12:23 PM
What did Chan Ho Park do last year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The Rangers lost their shirts when they signed that guy.

eg8r

eg8r
12-05-2003, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I sit around playing pool and drinking beer....man what a change. LOL <hr /></blockquote> LOL, I had big aspirations to play pro ball, but all the running in H.S did me in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I decided I would rather write code than run in the sun. I still love what I do, but I do miss running around playing ball. I never would have made it in college let alone the pros, but I sure do miss playing in high school (only freshman year).

eg8r

eg8r
12-05-2003, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love lead off hitters that hit 48 homers a year like Soriano <hr /></blockquote> He hasn't hit 40 in a year yet if I remember correctly. I thought for sure he would be 40-40 last year, and then the big slump happened. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif More strike-outs. Hopefully Don Mattingly will be able to correct some of the batting problems with Soriano this year as he takes over as batting coach.

eg8r

UWPoolGod
12-05-2003, 12:49 PM
I would think more teams would want slap hitters as their batting coaches. Like Wade Boggs, Molitor. Good average players.

Fred Agnir
12-05-2003, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I love to see the homeruns, but I liked watching the 98 Yankees much more than the current ones<hr /></blockquote>With Don Mattingly taking over as hitting coach, you might just see that.

Fred &lt;~~~ knows that it was really Chris Chambliss who was the key in '98, '99, '00

eg8r
12-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Patience at the plate is something the current Yankees do not have. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Why let Nick Johnson go, when you know Giambi cannot play everyday???

eg8r

UWPoolGod
12-05-2003, 01:47 PM
At least the Mariners are thinking of doing something...they offered Tejado a 3 year $24 million contract according to the Seattle Times

Kato
12-05-2003, 02:27 PM
You're right, he hit 38 in 2002 and 39 in 2003.

Kato