PDA

View Full Version : Do You Switch Cues Or Always Use The Same One?

TomBrooklyn
04-17-2002, 05:32 PM
Do you like to switch your playing cue from time to time, or do you have one favorite one that you use all the time? If you switch up, what makes you select a particular cue on any given day?

If you buy a new cue to replace your main playing cue, do you go back and forth with your old favorite?

Cueless Joey
04-17-2002, 05:35 PM
I stick with one. If I don't like a cue anymore, it's done. It's in the closet or I sell it.

Cuemage
04-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Tom,
I usually stick with the same one.Consequently, anything else feels foreign to me. However, I just switched to a Schon from a Meucci & I might switch back n forth depending on how I feel. My early guess is, I'll stick just with tha Schon...

Tha Cuemage

BLACKHEART
04-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Of course I only use BLACK HEART CUES, but I do carry 3 in my case. All have 13 mm tips. I have an 18 once break Q, my 20 once everyday playing Q & a second playing Q weighing 19 onces. On small tables, like 3 1/2 x 7 with fast cloth, I use the 19 once Q. For all others I use the 20 once. The 2 playing Qs have the same taper & water buffalo tip. The break Q has a stiffer shaft & flatter water buffalo tip. I also occationally play snooker & have a 17 once Q with a softer Elkmaster tip & a long 12 mm taper. I usually play with my Qs for a couple of years & then sell them & make new ones...JER

Rod
04-17-2002, 07:37 PM
I only play with one. That is unless I play snooker. I have 2 retired cues of long service in the closet.

Ralph S.
04-17-2002, 10:10 PM
I 2 different cues that I use as my regular playing cues. A McDermott and a Lucassi. Also have my break cue and jumper.
Ralph S.

stickman
04-17-2002, 10:27 PM
I have a custom cue that I shoot with most of the time. It has a 12mm tip, and is a little rearward balanced. If I'm way out of practice, and my game is off, I use my backup cue, a Viking with a 13mm tip. When my game is off, it seems to be a little more forgiving.

04-18-2002, 12:33 AM
i'm married to my pred s/p and expect to get some more to break etc. with.

the sears craftsman of pool cues.

dan..the only difference will be tips.

Doctor_D
04-18-2002, 04:40 AM
Good morning Tom:

I have Two playing Cues and Two break cues. Each, are identical in weight, make, model and configurations. I prefer, especially at this stage of my game's development, for my equipment to be consistent and with-out variables.

Dr. D.

BillPorter
04-18-2002, 06:51 AM
Tom, first let me compliment you on the topics you have introduced on this board. Great variety and usually interesting. Everything from Haiku to pool cues. As to your question, I have switched around during this last year (I've been playing about a year after a 20 year layoff). I played with an old Meucci, then with a Predator I bought last summer, then with a Mike Capone. Switched among the Capone, Predator and Meucci until I sold the Capone. Don't like th WB tip I put on the Predator, so I'm playing with just the Meucci at this point (Hercules tip). I will put a new tip on the Predator and may go back to that cue.

One reason I find this topic interesting is that it seems to make most sense to stick with one cue. How can it not hurt your game to keep switching? Especially if you are switching among cues with different tips, shaft stiffness and/or weight? But I believe most people on this board own several cues and switch among them. Personally, even though I know it doesn't help my game, I enjoy switching from time to time. Almost like getting a new cue without the expense. (Gee, now that I think of it, I have even switched the cues I use in my signature. Stole the first one from Ken, modified it, then found another one on the Net that I liked better.)

Kato
04-18-2002, 07:09 AM
I always play with my Predator SLP. I do change break cues from time to time. My 8 point Helmstetter with the original shaft and hard Moori tip or my Cuetec Break/Jump with the phenolic tip. I did get asked the other day why I was the only guy in the pool room whose break cue was nicer than their play cue. My answer "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Kato~~~knows the most beautiful cue is the one that makes the most balls.

JimS
04-18-2002, 07:17 AM
I tend to switch break cues but I NEVER switch playing cues. The South West I play with feels like part of my arm. I was without it last spring for 3 months when I sent it in to be refinished and it was a horrifying experience that I'd never want to have to experience again. Well....ok...maybe not exactly horrifying but certainly more than a bit uncomfortable.

Jay M
04-18-2002, 07:24 AM
I always shoot with the same cue except in extreme circumtances. I shot with meuccis for all my life until someone stole them in the middle of a set and I had to buy a new cue in a hurry. I bought a McDermott which I really like and which is now my regular playing cue. My Meucci that used to be my break cue never comes out of the case any longer, although I do keep it with me in case of emergency. My meucci play cue is with me as well. I break and play with the McDermott. However, the McDermott is about 1-1/2 oz heavier than the meucci. If I am having major problems with controlling touch shots on a given day, I'll switch to the meucci, but that is a rare thing now. As a general rule, stick with one cue for the consistency. (BTW, I recovered the stolen cues about 8 months after they were taken)

Jay M

Pizza Bob
04-18-2002, 07:30 AM
I used to switch, occasionally, from one Capone to another. They both have flat-faced 3/8 x 7.5 joints, but the one had a SS sleeve and the other does not. Probably just me, but it seems to have less deflection than the other and when I'd switch, if I didn't adjust the compensation correctly, I'd be missing balls I should make. Now I just stick with the one. Have three cues in my case - play and break (matched Capones) and a snooker cue (Parris) - just in case.

Raises an interesting sidelight. With the ban on carrying cues on airplanes, I'm having two simple cues built to leave in my company's regional offices - hoping that it won't be a big chore to adopt to the playing characteristics of those cues. Having them built with similar weights, dimensions and joint types to my current playing cue.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Barbara
04-18-2002, 10:42 AM
I don't switch cues, I just switch between the two shafts. Yes, they play a little differently.

Barbara

Alfie
04-18-2002, 08:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Do you like to switch your playing cue from time to time, or do you have one favorite one that you use all the time? If you switch up, what makes you select a particular cue on any given day? <hr></blockquote>
I use whatever is close at the time. Of course, I'm no good. Does that matter?

BillPorter
04-19-2002, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Alfie:</font><hr>I use whatever is close at the time. Of course, I'm no good. Does that matter? <hr></blockquote>

Alfie, your comment made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the chuckle. BTW, my closest pool hall friend 40 years ago was a guy named Alfie...Alfie Taylor. Haven't seen him for 40 years; heard he became a road player and later turned to selling oriental rugs. Doubt you are the same guy.

Brian in VA
04-19-2002, 02:08 PM
I shoot with the same cue all the time but it's a good idea to have more than one for the same reason that I have more than one putter in my golf club collection. You don't want your regular stick to get too comfortable. It just might turn on you. It needs to understand it can be replaced!

Brian in VA