PDA

View Full Version : Leather vs Vinyl

Jay
12-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Hello everybody. I got another one for you. Since my new custom should be arriving tomorrow I am going to be in the market for a new case ( Unfortunately I wasnt thinking about the future when I bought my original 1x1 case). Im looking for a 2x4. Anyways I have been searching the web for a case as well as the local stores. I have come across a few candidates but one thing I need assistance on is on wether the case should be in vinyl or leather. I was at one of the local stores and there were two cases, one was a no name brand cowboy style leather case and the other was an Instroke vinyl Premiere case. Both around the same price but I wasnt sure as to which case would be the better buy. I really want something good to protect my cues but I also dont want to buy something that wont last. I know that leather is strong and durable but vinyl is more cost effective. Would anyone be able to tell me both the pros and cons of leather and vinyl? Also are their any recommendations on some cases. Thanks a bunch.

buddha162
12-05-2003, 05:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> one was a no name brand cowboy style leather case and the other was an Instroke vinyl Premiere case. Both around the same price but I wasnt sure as to which case would be the better buy. I really want something good to protect my cues but I also dont want to buy something that wont last<hr /></blockquote>

imo the instroke Premier is the most practical choice in cases on the market today. You get all the protection of an Instroke at a much lower price, and it looks great as well. Of course, I just received my Premier 3x5 a few weeks ago and I love it. I think they look better than the cowboys, sleeker and with silver hardware instead of (gaudy) gold.

I think if you care about your cues at all, you would not cut corners on the case. The no-brand cases are a huge risk, imho. Oh and I wouldn't worry about the vinyl not lasting; they use very thick, bus-seat type vinyl. It should outlast any leather.

Roger

pooltchr
12-05-2003, 07:35 AM
I have an Instroke GEO series. Real leather, Instroke quality, reasonable price. A great deal for the money.
JMO
Steve

Fred Agnir
12-05-2003, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> I was at one of the local stores and there were two cases, one was a no name brand cowboy style leather case and the other was an Instroke vinyl Premiere case. Both around the same price but I wasnt sure as to which case would be the better buy<hr /></blockquote>In this case I would hope protection is the primary consideration. I would strongly suggest the Instroke.

Fred

Pizza Bob
12-05-2003, 08:59 AM
I would definitely choose the name-brand vinyl over the no-name leather, any day. Most of the no-names are imports with cheap harware and questionable quality. I saw an ad for a no-name that said it was made out of "reconstituted" leather. I gather that's where they collect the sweepings from some legitimate leather enterprise, mix them with some kind of binder and press them into sheets. Voila LEATHER. Thanks, but no thanks. Best is a leather brand name. Search the archives as we've all been over this before. If cost is no object, a Whitten or Justis is the way to go. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

bluewolf
12-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Get leather. Holds up better for one thing. I got a used 2x4 instroke leather case and am very happy with it. Those who want a jazzy case sometimes get whitten or justice but these are about $200 more expensive or more if you want them customized.

Laura

woody_968
12-05-2003, 10:57 AM
I have had a vinyl case for years, still looks band new. I would agree with what most here have said, get the instroke. I hope Santa brings me an Instroke Premier this year /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif