PDA

View Full Version : Those who play poker...

Cuemage
04-17-2002, 06:07 PM
I'm playing in a Poker Supermatch on the 27th (sorry Barry, I can't make the Spring Open) where there are 4 tables with four guys per table. We play until each table has a winner, then the winner of each table (total of 4 players)plays until there is one winner. $100 entry $1600 winner take all.
I'm lookin for ur thoughts on best strategies in poker games. (Remember I didn't win tha lotto, so I need to win this...hehehe)

Tha Cuemage

04-17-2002, 06:19 PM
What game??

Stauber

Cuemage
04-17-2002, 06:22 PM
Well, it's dealer choice.
we usually mix it up:
5 card draw
7 card draw
baseball
superman?
other

04-17-2002, 07:02 PM
1. Don't let anybody at the table boss you or tell you what to do...even if it seems like a little thing.
2. Fold- when your gut says "forget about it".
And 3. whatever you do, pick your own seat. Don't let anyone seat you and also don't change seats if someone asks you to.
They'll say something like: "It's too drafty over there" or " There's too much smoke over there, would you mind switching seats?"

Bobby

Ralph S.
04-17-2002, 10:02 PM
Hi, personally I don't play wild card games. It is not true poker in my opinion. If they are playing check and raise, let someone else be the first raiser if you have a hand. It may help you decipher if they have a stronger hand than you. Play the nut hands, never stay on a wing and a prayer. I usually will fold if I don't have 3 cards to the flush or straight, or a pair on the deal. Good luck!!
Ralph S.

04-17-2002, 10:41 PM
People tend to be careful in the early stages of poker tournaments, especially if there's no buy-in's. This is because people are afraid of being eliminated. So u could try to steal some pots in the beginning.

By the way, which poker game is it?

Troy
04-17-2002, 10:49 PM
Play real Poker, do NOT play those sucker, wild games.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cuemage:</font><hr> Well, it's dealer choice.
we usually mix it up:
5 card draw
7 card draw
baseball
superman?
other <hr></blockquote>

04-17-2002, 11:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cuemage:</font><hr> Well, it's dealer choice.
we usually mix it up:
5 card draw
7 card draw
baseball
superman?
other <hr></blockquote>

never heard of 7-draw but i suspect you meant 7-stud. are those wild-card girlie games at the end??? kewl. the secret there is let everyone else get drunk, you stay sober and play that stuff at the end of the night. you'll clean up.

a bunch of us do a thing every week here where we play pool a while, then bar b q something(everybody brings food) then settle into some cheap but cutthroat poker. no wilds and a lot of texas hold'em. isn't that the game they play for the world's in vegas?? usually 6 players. lotta fun.

i was only half kidding about staying fairly sober. let the other guys get wild and crazy, hot and cold. if you just play smart, fairly conservative poker, you'll pick up your share from the guys who don't.

dan

stickman
04-17-2002, 11:32 PM
I never played poker on a pool table. I used to play golf on a snooker table, and loved it. Then our pool hall did away with the snooker table. Does anyone have a link or something that explains it?

Cuemage
04-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Hi Stickman,
This is regular poker...not poker on a pool table...sorry if I wasn't clear.

Tha Cuemage

Cuemage
04-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi Troy,
Can u define "real poker"?

Tha Cuemage

Cuemage
04-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Dealers choice...I don't know what some of the other guys play mostly, but i play
5 card draw
7 card stud
7 card challenge (stud)
baseball occasionally

Tha Cuemage

Cuemage
04-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks Ralph...I'll practice some of that

Tha Cuemage

04-18-2002, 07:03 PM
I play online tourneys in Texas Hold Em, an average of four a week. My gut says to forget about this tourney.. The "dealer's choice" part of this deal makes it a total crapshoot. You will have to get extremely lucky numerous times to win.. If it were not winner take all, maybe if it paid top 3 spots, I would say go for it.. But, since it IS winner take all, it is a tourney for gamblers, no poker players..

Best advice I could give you is to change the format of the tourney to No Limit Texas Hold Em, all the way thru.. Do that, and the best player will win the tourney at least 50% of the time.. Not a bad ratio..

Pogue

04-18-2002, 08:22 PM
What site do you play tourney's at Pogue. I play a few times a month at Paradise and Partypoker, just the cash game variety. But I prefer playing in a cardroom or home game. I'm with you on game selection though, Limit Hold'em is my game of choice, but no-limit is good for the odd tourney I enter.

Stauber

Troy
04-18-2002, 08:27 PM
Real Poker players already understand; the remainder wouldn't, even with a definition..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cuemage:</font><hr> Hi Troy,
Can u define "real poker"?

Tha Cuemage <hr></blockquote>

Cuemage
04-19-2002, 07:55 PM
thanks for tha clarification