PDA

View Full Version : Grip: Where on the handle?

JimS
12-06-2003, 11:13 AM
I did the obligatory search but found nuttin so...

Where on the handle is it recommended that the grip be placed?

I realized there is not set rule here because of height/reach considerations. I'm average height and reach...5'10", medium shirt w/34" sleeve. There must exist some general guidelines for where I "should" be placing my grip hand in order to obtain optimum stroke performance...huh?

I'm remembering from a year-plus back that CC was on me about the line between my hand and forearm needing to be straighter...that is not having my wrist/hand cocked forward at address. I'm thinkin that hand placement on the cue has a lot to do with this condition.

I'm working on getting all the fundamentals right, per the lessons/advice/recommendations I had a couple years ago and it's comeing back sometimes quickly sometimes slowly and this is an issue I'd kinda forgotten or at least put off for a while to work on more prominent issues.
Thanks!!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-06-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm 6'-5". My hand is all the way to the back of the linen wrap.

Your forearm should be vertical when the tip strikes the cueball. So folks of different heights will grip at different places.

I knew a girl that was 4'-11". Her hand was almost to the front of the wrap.

Billy
12-06-2003, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I did the obligatory search but found nuttin so...

Where on the handle is it recommended that the grip be placed?

I realized there is not set rule here because of height/reach considerations. I'm average height and reach...5'10", medium shirt w/34" sleeve. There must exist some general guidelines for where I "should" be placing my grip hand in order to obtain optimum stroke performance...huh?

I'm remembering from a year-plus back that CC was on me about the line between my hand and forearm needing to be straighter...that is not having my wrist/hand cocked forward at address. I'm thinkin that hand placement on the cue has a lot to do with this condition.

I'm working on getting all the fundamentals right, per the lessons/advice/recommendations I had a couple years ago and it's comeing back sometimes quickly sometimes slowly and this is an issue I'd kinda forgotten or at least put off for a while to work on more prominent issues.
Thanks!! <hr /></blockquote>

basically the rule that I've always used - when in your address position with the tip of your cue ready to strike the cueball,your forearm should be at a right angle to the floor therefore determining where to grip the cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif if that makes any sense?

jmo

ras314
12-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Seems to me it depends on how long your bridge is. Works best for me by holding the handle wherever it takes to have the forearm about perpendicular to the floor at cb contact. About the only way I can get a good follow thru.

I have seen good players hold foreward of the wrap with a long bridge but they had to use a lot of wrist action. I'm libable to miscue trying that.

On the break or when I have to reach for a shot I'm clear back on the end of the handle. Since I can't seem to break the habit of using a long bridge I'm usually behind where a wrap would be. 6ft w/33" sleeve.

Getting a room built for a table and hope a camcorder will help get rid of some of the bad habits.

JimS
12-06-2003, 01:38 PM
Ah-Ha! I'd forgoten about the arm being at 90 degree to the floor. I had it in my head that the back edge of my grip hand was supposed to be about 1" to 2" from the back edge of the wrap, if there was a wrap.

I know where I got that now! I got set up with my grip arm 90 degrees to the floor and guess where the back edge of my grip hand was....yep about 1.5" from the back edge of the wrap. Evidently a couple of years ago, when I was previously obsessed with working on my game, I had been working on setting up properly and concluded that I needed to grap with cue with the back edge of my left hand about 1.5" onto the wrap portion of the cue.

By the way, this position makes me use a bridge which is about 8" to 10" from the cb...right where it should be. So...if you want your bridge to be right just grap the cue where you should and I think that will get your bridge where it should be too.

Thanks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
12-07-2003, 08:58 AM
I find that if I use CJ Wiley's depiction of holding the cue like a sword with your backhand tucked next to your pant's(or skirt) pocket while walking into the shot, bringing the tip to CB while still in the erect standing position, and then going down on the shot, that you'll naturally create the proper grip position. It seemed simple to understand for me, and I'm not easily taught...sid

JimS
12-07-2003, 01:39 PM
JimS understands the "not easily taught" part /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Scott Lee
12-08-2003, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Seems to me it depends on how long your bridge is. Works best for me by holding the handle wherever it takes to have the forearm about perpendicular to the floor at cb contact. About the only way I can get a good follow thru.<hr /></blockquote>

This is EXACTLY correct! Therefore, if you change your bridge length, according the to the shot, you must also change your grip position a like amount!

Scott Lee

pooltchr
12-08-2003, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Seems to me it depends on how long your bridge is. Works best for me by holding the handle wherever it takes to have the forearm about perpendicular to the floor at cb contact. About the only way I can get a good follow thru.<hr /></blockquote>

This is EXACTLY correct! Therefore, if you change your bridge length, according the to the shot, you must also change your grip position a like amount!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>
Scott, Do you teach 90 degrees from the floor, or 90 degrees from the cue? There can be a big difference.
Steve ---- not trying to pick nits

ras314
12-08-2003, 07:58 AM
"90 degrees from the floor, or 90 degrees from the cue?"

Hahahahaha. Like to see some of those trick masse shots at 90 deg from the cue! Nose down on table?

Suppose the optimum for me would be near right angle to the cue with the tip winding up near or on the cloth for most shots hit center ball or lower. In thinking about it I will try to get higher over the table with a short bridge and further up on the handle if the cue has to be jacked up, probably winds up with the cue being the reference.

Courious about Scott's answer on this.

Qtec
12-08-2003, 08:43 AM
To the floor. If you relax your arm it will[ if you let it] hang straight down,ie at 90 degrees to the floor.

Qtec

pooltchr
12-08-2003, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> To the floor. If you relax your arm it will[ if you let it] hang straight down,ie at 90 degrees to the floor.

Qtec <hr /></blockquote>
I understand that. But on the shots where it is necessary to elevate the butt of the cue, that means you would have to move your grip forward. The more elevation, the farther forward you go in order to keep at 90 deg to the floor. I've always thought the cue was a better reference point than the floor. Granted, when the cue is "as level as possible" you are correct.

Scott Lee
12-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Steve...Without getting into the semantics of "level cue", I use the '90 degree at address' concept, with the cuestick.
However, since I also am one of those instructors who press the issue of keeping the cuestick "as level as comfortable for the shot", it can also be 90 degrees to the floor, depending on the shot. How's that for "politically correct"? LOL

Scott

pooltchr
12-09-2003, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Steve...Without getting into the semantics of "level cue", I use the '90 degree at address' concept, with the cuestick.
However, since I also am one of those instructors who press the issue of keeping the cuestick "as level as comfortable for the shot", it can also be 90 degrees to the floor, depending on the shot. How's that for "politically correct"? LOL

Scott <hr /></blockquote>
Good answer! (line stolen from too much Family Feud)
I was just trying to point out that with any elevation, the grip hand would be more forward if you use the floor as a reference point. It's a minor point unless you are jacked up more than 30 degrees or so. In most cases, like you said, either one is going to work.
Have you ever thought about going into politics??? LOL

#### leonard
12-09-2003, 08:51 AM
I always tried to teach the follow thru method of playing pool. With this method your stroke remains the same, to increase cueball speed you just follow thru farther and to do this you have to extend your grip down the butt and lengthen your bridge.

Golfers have 14 clubs and poolplayers have one cue that has to do everything. Just try cut shots with 6 balls lined up from the cueball forward. With the same speed of cue follow thru one ball then two balls and so on you will discover with the same speed of stroke you can move the cueball almost 3 ft more or less just by the length of follow thru.####