PDA

View Full Version : chicago players

jstrazzante
12-06-2003, 01:18 PM
has anybody ever been to chris' billiards on milwaukee? if so, how is it? is it worth driving 30 miles to go to? thanks for your reply

NH_Steve
12-06-2003, 03:52 PM
30 miles! Geezus I have to drive about 75 just for the nearest 'action' room -- I'd kill for a Chris's Billiards within a hundred miles!!

Actually I have been to Chris's Billiards several times (although it is about 1000 miles away), and it has always been crawling with players. Freddy Bentivegna can often be found either dozing in a chair or trying to rastle up a game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif There is always plenty of one pocket available (but watch out -- even the 9-ballers play pretty sporty One Pocket in there). If you are looking for a little step in in competition, you will certainly find it there, and I for one am envious it is only thiry miles away /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm terrible with names, but there are tons of good players in there, and the houseman might not even set you up to get totally robbed -- if you are lucky /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SRpool
12-06-2003, 04:04 PM
You have to go to Chris' It is a piece of pool history. It is a true pool hall, no frills. There is alot of one pocket action, billiards action and some 9ball. It all depends on what day you go. There are two tournaments there on sundays. One in the afternoon and one that starts at 7 or 8pm. Thirty miles isn't too far to drive, thats about how far I go to get there. Last time I was there on a sunday night I think there were about 40 players in the tournament.

sarah

dmgwalsh
12-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Where do you live and play. I live in Tinley park and have been playing at Villa Park. I went to Chris's once on a saturday morning. I imagine the competition is a little rich for my blood. Dennis

rukiddingme
12-06-2003, 06:49 PM
worth it???? are you kidding me????
Chris' is one of the best old time pool halls around. There is all kinds of action from little $$$ to big $$$.
Plenty of rail birds...lots of one pocket...good 3 cushion players...even a huge snooker table if you like.
Good action in late afternoons and evenings.
As a matter of fact I'm headed over there right now...
ruk

hemicudas
12-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Anything doing at the Billiard Cafe any more?

SRpool
12-07-2003, 03:48 PM
The tournament at the Billiard Cafe on thursday nights has been pretty good. Close to 40 players and the highest payout for the weekly tournaments. I would recommend checking it out too.

sarah

dmgwalsh
12-07-2003, 05:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hemicudas:</font><hr> Anything doing at the Billiard Cafe any more? <hr /></blockquote>
Where is the Billiard cafe? Dennis

Chicago9Ball
12-07-2003, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hemicudas:</font><hr> Anything doing at the Billiard Cafe any more? <hr /></blockquote>
Where is the Billiard cafe? Dennis <hr /></blockquote>

5935 W. Irving Park Rd.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Scott Lee
12-08-2003, 05:58 AM
Like Sarah and RUKIDDINGME said, Chris's Billiards is THE place in Chicago. There is enough stuff on the walls to read and look at, to keep you busy for a couple of hours. Add to that 40 9' tables, and a VERY inexpensive table rate
($2.65 per hour by yourself, during the day), and you can swallow up a whole day in there. Most days you can shoot a cannon through there, but every night is busy, often with a waiting list. On Tuesday nights, the longest running women's league in the country (since 1967) plays on some of the tables...and all women are welcome! Do yourself a favor, and experience Chris's Billiards!

Scott Lee

ras314
12-08-2003, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> worth it???? are you kidding me????
Chris' is one of the best old time pool halls around. There is all kinds of action from little $$$ to big $$$.
Plenty of rail birds...lots of one pocket...good 3 cushion players...even a huge snooker table if you like.
Good action in late afternoons and evenings.
<hr /></blockquote>
Does this mean no blaring juke boxes? No noisy viedo games and TV's around the tables? Tables cleaned regularly and recovered before the slate starts showing? Maybe a few domino tables? No loud drunks allowed? Bad table manners (hand powder, chalking over the table, ect) corrected?

Scott Lee
12-09-2003, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Does this mean no blaring juke boxes? No noisy viedo games and TV's around the tables? Tables cleaned regularly and recovered before the slate starts showing? Maybe a few domino tables? No loud drunks allowed? Bad table manners (hand powder, chalking over the table, ect) corrected? <hr /></blockquote>

ras314...Ummmmm, NO! Actually, Chris's has ALL of those things too...except the video games (but they DO have a couple pinball machines)! Only one tv (a big screen), unless you count the video surveillance monitors behind the desk! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

rukiddingme
12-09-2003, 10:52 PM
There are 3 "rooms at Chris'... 2kiddy rooms with a jukebox and a players room. The players room is in the front as you walk in. Generally you can't hear the juke boxes blaring in the players' room but you can hear the sweat rolling off the players' foreheads...lol
No alchohol is served on the premises though once in a while you might run into a schitzo who forgot to take his medicine. The room is full of obsessive/compulsives who play pool day and night and can't seem to stop gambling. Lot of testostrrone flowing and plenty of tales of wouldas, couldas and shouldas.
It is a great place to watch people as well as play pool. All that entertainment for practically free /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SRpool
12-10-2003, 06:15 AM
That is the absolute best description of Chris' I have ever heard/read!

JimS
12-10-2003, 06:19 AM
I was there once....about 2 years ago. It was like I'd stepped back into the 50/60's. Nothing new looking, no glitz, just a pool hall. God knows I loved it on first site. Even saw George there that day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ras314
12-10-2003, 08:38 AM
You guys have convinced me, that is my kind of place. Hummm...got some cousins in Chicago I've never met. Maybe when winter is over....

Then there is another place worrying about what color cloth to put on the tables that replaced their Conleys...

Man what a rode trip that would make. Now if I could just shoot pool.

Scott Lee
12-10-2003, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Even saw George there that day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Jim...George??? George who? George Michaels (real player, originally from Chicago), George Washington (that's be a miracle!), Georgie Porgie? C'mon, inquiring minds want to know! LOL

Scott

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Fels probably.

rukiddingme
12-10-2003, 04:05 PM
George Fels and Larry Schwartz stop by regularly. Adrian Viguera stops in occasionally to play 3 cushion...
ruk

Chris Cass
12-10-2003, 05:09 PM
I know Larry. Played him once or twice at Abruzzo' place. Got him one day for about 40 or 60. He was hopping mad. LOL Not a bad guy. I think he's playing for John in one of the leagues? John can definitely put a crack team togather. I doubt Larry would remember me it's been so long. He knows me by Cass.

John's tourneys were good action. Larry, Jeff Carter, Mark Jarvis, Jamie Ferrell(sp?), Jeff Sargent, Willie Munson(one of my favorite people) geez, can't remember everyone.

Thanks for the memories,

C.C.~~all frequented Chris', Maries Golden Cue and Chicago Billiard Cafe. I think that was Freddy' house? Does he walk with a limp and play one pocket? That was back when Joey Gold played.

dmgwalsh
12-10-2003, 05:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I know Larry. Played him once or twice at Abruzzo' place. Got him one day for about 40 or 60. He was hopping mad. LOL Not a bad guy. I think he's playing for John in one of the leagues? John can definitely put a crack team togather. I doubt Larry would remember me it's been so long. He knows me by Cass.

John's tourneys were good action. Larry, Jeff Carter, Mark Jarvis, Jamie Ferrell(sp?), Jeff Sargent, Willie Munson(one of my favorite people) geez, can't remember everyone.

Thanks for the memories,

C.C.~~all frequented Chris', Maries Golden Cue and Chicago Billiard Cafe. I think that was Freddy' house? Does he walk with a limp and play one pocket? That was back when Joey Gold played. <hr /></blockquote>

Here's a site for the eight ball league at Abruzzo's on Monday nights with a list of players in case you know anyone there :http://www.g-p-l.org/palace.htm . Dennis

snook
12-10-2003, 08:06 PM
sounds like its time for logan and jeff to make the trip to chicago this summer. weve been looking for some place reasonable to go

what about dirby city, is that worth taking a week off work to go to

by the way, i'm from a lil south of terre haute indiana.

hemicudas
12-11-2003, 04:27 AM
Anybody seen Charley Jones, Rocket Man or Buggs?

Scott Lee
12-11-2003, 04:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hemicudas:</font><hr> Anybody seen Charley Jones, Rocket Man or Buggs? <hr /></blockquote>

Rich Slupik aka Rocket Man, and Bugs Rucker are still around Chicago, to my knowledge. I think Bugs probably plays more than Rocket Man does. I haven't heard of him playing much in a few years. Don't know about Charley Jones. Waterdog is also still around, but Don is still has a drug problem. I've seen him cleaning tables at Chris's on occasion, and he hangs out there a lot.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
12-11-2003, 04:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I know Larry. Played him once or twice at Abruzzo' place. Got him one day for about 40 or 60. He was hopping mad. LOL Not a bad guy. I think he's playing for John in one of the leagues? John can definitely put a crack team togather. I doubt Larry would remember me it's been so long. He knows me by Cass.

Thanks for the memories,

C.C.~~all frequented Chris', Maries Golden Cue and Chicago Billiard Cafe. I think that was Freddy' house? Does he walk with a limp and play one pocket? That was back when Joey Gold played. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...Larry was one of the first guys I hung around with, when I was learning to play, and we've been friends for over 30 yrs. Back then (early 70's, Freddie had an all-night poker game going on in a house on the north side. There were also two 9' GC's. One night Larry matched me up with Joe Gold, and I drilled him for a c-note (Joe had a very big mouth back then....). Since then, Joe went on the road with George Michaels, and became a top player in Chicago, before he started making cues. He can STILL play extremely well, and LOVES to gamble high. BTW, Freddie limps because of a snowmobile accident many many years ago.

Funny story...a few years ago, I was playing in a 'king-of-the-hill' tournament at Karabotsos' old place in Schaumburg. All the top players were there. I ended up taking 2nd, but along the way I had to beat local youngster hotshot, Neal Jacobs; then Larry Schwartz (he was hoppin' mad then too! LOL); then Marco Marquez; and then basically racked for Billy Incardona in the finals! LOL
I remember this tournament well, because in every match, I was WAY down, and my opponents were on the hill...and I came back to win each match. That is, until I got run over by Billy 15-6! LOL It goes to show ya, it's NEVER over until it's OVER! LOL

Scott