PDA

View Full Version : Best Day of Practice Ever

Joe10Ball
12-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Hi folks, it's been a while since I posted but I just have to share these stats. The first is a practice drill I've been doing for years (7or8) on and off. You shoot a spot shot from these 17 locations (the 17th is the next spot after the cue ball) Always frozen to rail and in the pockets.START(
%AO1Z6%BU1Z8%C[4Z8%Da2Z8%Eg3Z8%Fm8Z8%Gr5Z6%Hr9V2%Ir7O7%Jr8I2
%Kr5C9%Lm9D0%Mg4C9%Na6C9%O[3C8%PU2D0
)END
The best I had ever done was to go around and sink all 17 shots in 19 shots (only two misses) and no witness!! Thursday I only missed 1 shot and had a witness! I shoot this shot using a contact point to contact point method, because the contact point on both the cue ball and object ball NEVER CHANGE!
My second feat of the day was to break 100 racks of 9 ball making a ball on the break 73 times, scratching 9 times and having 39 Break and Runs! I've done 34 before with a dead corner ball and no witness but this time I was using a hard break and had a good friend (Tallman) racking for me. Also I made 6 balls on one break (yes I got out).
I've been practicing real hard lately but don't have much action or tournaments to play in. Oh well the goal is just to get better right. Thanks for being here to let me share my practice results and thanks for all the Book ideas (long post) I'm sure I'll do something with it in the near future. Right now I'm focused on Aramith and these new aiming balls I invented. They were suppose to be out in Oct but now it looks like Jan 2004.
If anybody needs me they can reach me at joetuckeraiming@yahoo.com or jt10ball@earthlink.net
Thanks again
Joe T

Sid_Vicious
12-07-2003, 12:06 PM
"My second feat of the day was to break 100 racks of 9 ball making a ball on the break 73 times.....this time I was using a hard break and had a good friend (Tallman) racking for me."

Were you reading those racks for crack between balls Joe(absolutely nothing against that mind you, just a prelude to my next comments), and was Tallman packing them well? I'm not being confrontational but I have to ask whether those racks were made as tight as they could be. Making a ball 70% plus of the time ain't normal by anyone's means. Reading a flawed rack could make a lot of difference though...sid~~~jus' wonderin'

Joe10Ball
12-07-2003, 01:05 PM
We tapped in the balls, a half a ball high on the spot (cuz the old spot had a hole underneath in the cloth). It was like a sardo, you could have racked them with your hands. I wasn't reading the racks but the right corner ball did go an awful lot. And I was practicing my break from the box not the side rail. Side rail I could easily go 70%. I know it sounds crazy and it was a crazy day, like I said Best Day ever and I use to practice a lot Everyday. I use to aim strictly by feel,now I use a system that has improved my perception of the front part of the cue ball (by numbering it)It's a lot less stressful and much more consistent. That day was a 10hr practice session with one dinner break.
Joe T, Knocking his own action

dmgwalsh
12-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Sounds great. That's a lot of practice.
There were some posts about your books here last week. Barbara Stack(?)from NJ sent me one with drills that i've been playing with today. I ordered your racking tome from bebop. The drill book looks pretty cool. Regards. Dennis

spanky
12-08-2003, 02:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ...Were you reading those racks for crack between balls Joe(absolutely nothing against that mind you, just a prelude to my next comments) ... <hr /></blockquote>

Sid, fairly new player here. Can you tell me in a nineball rack what to look for in reading the rack ? Do I want to break on the side with the tightest connections ? Not sure how reading the rack can give me an advantage on making a ball on the break. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Spanky

Billy
12-08-2003, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote spanky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ...Were you reading those racks for crack between balls Joe(absolutely nothing against that mind you, just a prelude to my next comments) ... <hr /></blockquote>

Sid, fairly new player here. Can you tell me in a nineball rack what to look for in reading the rack ? Do I want to break on the side with the tightest connections ? Not sure how reading the rack can give me an advantage on making a ball on the break. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Spanky <hr /></blockquote>

Sid obviously has your answers Spanky but maybe your questions should have been directed to Joe who is the author of 'Racking Secrets' as well

yes,reading a rack can be art

jmo

Sid_Vicious
12-09-2003, 01:25 PM
spanky...lemme utilize my digital camera and my home table and e-mail you where the cracks are going to be. I will get back to you, sorry for the delay...sid

Isshi
12-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Joe T, I've got two questions about the successive spot shots drill.

When you're shooting from position 5 &amp; 13, do you pocket the
spot shot in the corner or side pocket? I'm assuming that you could choose either, I'm just wondering which one you consider the better choice.

Shooting off the rail, do you ever jack up, or just go with a careful follow
stroke?

Regards, Isshi.

Joe10Ball
12-10-2003, 09:29 AM
no,no,no. I think you're spotting the object ball on the wrong spot. The object ball in this diagram goes on the foot spot, parallel with 1ball. So the first 9 spot shots go in the upper left hand corner pocket (as you look at the screen) then the next 8 go in the lower left corner pocket. Sorry if I didn't explain the diagram properly.

Isshi
12-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Oh, now I see. Gosh!! I'm astounded!

I often do a drill I learned from
one of Jack Koehler's books, shooting spot shots from successively farther away diamonds, ending at the cushion at the head spot end.

If I just get close to the pocket shooting a spot shot off the rail from the
far end, I'm thrilled.

Truly impressed, Isshi.