PDA

View Full Version : Efren/DCC?

Nostroke
12-07-2003, 06:41 PM
According to UPA news release on AZB, Efren will play in the UPA finale 1/6-1/11 in LA. Does anyone know if he will then head for the DCC the next week?

RailbirdJAM
12-07-2003, 09:33 PM
It looks like the UPA Tour final event, presented by Dragon Productions, will occur the exact same week JOB's tournament in Nashville, immediately preceding the DCC.

It's great to see so many tournaments, but it is a shame there isn't a central tournament registry to prevent this from happening.

The same thing happened when the Fury World Summit of Pool (another UPA Tour event presented by Dragon Productions) was held in NYC not too long ago which transpired at the same time as a major tournament that Efren attended in Dubai.

RailbirdJAM

NH_Steve
12-08-2003, 06:21 AM
Don't you think there is a possibility that Charlie/UPA actually scheduled those conflicts on purpose /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Afterall, is there not specific language in the UPA contract about not playing in an event that conflicts with a UPA event?

That said, the DCC has quite a bit of $$$$$$ up for grabs this year which should attract a very full & talented field.

RedHell
12-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Isn't it a week in between enough to attend both ?

Jen, how long does Keith like the have off in between tournements ? a week ? More ?

I had a chat with Danny Hewitt last weekend and I was asking if he was going to go to DCC. He said he was going to LA but hadn't decide if he would go to DCC. I doubt he will cause he doesn't like one pocket and that would leave only the 9ball and 9B-bank...

Any of us here going ?

RailbirdJAM
12-08-2003, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> Isn't it a week in between enough to attend both? Jen, how long does Keith like the have off in between tournements? A week? More?<hr /></blockquote>

RedHell, the UPA Tour final event is January 6-11, 2004. The JOBS Billiards Music City Open is January 6-11, 2004. The Derby City Classic is January 16-24, 2004.

The Fury World Summit of Pool promoted by Dragon Productions and part of the UPA Tour occurred the very same week in October of 2003 as the World Classic Billiards 9-Ball tournament in Dubai. Efren, Thorsten Hohmann, Earl, Bustie, and Ralf Souquet attended the Dubai tournament. I would think a central tournament registry is sorely needed to assist a tournament promoter, such as Dragon Productions, when scheduling dates for upcoming events.

Keith usually has a lot of time off between those week-long tournaments. Sometimes it takes almost a week to recover. Last year, the Music City Open held in Nashville, Tennessee, was scheduled the week AFTER the Derby City Classic held in Louisville, Kentucky, and then the very next week the Mid-Atlantic City tournament was held in Virginia Beach. Three week-long tournaments in a row is difficult for some players to attend.

Fortunately, the Joss Tour, Viking Tour, and FalconCue Tour provide some exciting action-packed weekend adventures, as well as those WONDERFUL independent events like the Glass City Open, Big Apple, Carolinas Open, Capital City Classic, Trump Marina 10-Ball Challenge, U.S. Open, Mid-Atlantic Tournament, Derby City Classic, Music City Open, and many others. Keith and I are both grateful and appreciate the hard work and dedication of these independent promoters.

RailbirdJAM

Greg/Diamond
12-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Nostroke
I don't usually like to post who's coming to the DCC, but I've talked to Charlie Williams and Mike Lebron and its my understanding that Efren is coming along with many more international players than I've ever had. Maybe it's the increased added money or they just like the action. If I hear anything different I'll post here.....Greg/Diamond

NH_Steve
12-08-2003, 07:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Greg/Diamond:</font><hr> Nostroke
I don't usually like to post who's coming to the DCC, but I've talked to Charlie Williams and Mike Lebron and its my understanding that Efren is coming along with many more international players than I've ever had. Maybe it's the increased added money or they just like the action. If I hear anything different I'll post here.....Greg/Diamond <hr /></blockquote>Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your commitment to -- and investment in top quality pool competition!!!!

Nostroke
12-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks Greg-Ill be going no matter what and i understand you cant guarantee anything. Would be great to see if he really is untouchable in one pocket. He plays master level chess from what ive seen/heard so it just might be his best game.

Barbara
12-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Nostroke,

When Efren's in Philly, you're more likely to see him at a chessboard than at a pool table.

Barbara