PDA

View Full Version : IE6 scroll bar feature?

SPetty
12-08-2003, 02:03 PM
This was bothering me and I didnít know what was going on until I read this from a newsletter:<hr /></blockquote>3) Has Your Scrollbar Behavior Changed?
Mine has. Many readers are reporting the same thing, too:

I'm having an annoying problem. While I'm using IE6, I always scroll the screen by clicking the vertical scroll bar (one click, one screen). Since I installed Microsoft's latest security patch, Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (KB824145), the page advances TWO screens per click. After I noticed this weird behavior, I uninstalled the patch and the problem went away. Then I checked out my wife's computer after she installed the update, and it has the same problem. Our machines are set up almost identically, but I find it hard to believe we are the only folks seeing this behavior. Microsoft's knowledge base has been no help so far, and I have seen no mention of this problem anywhere. Any ideas? ---Dan Cross

Bizarrely, it's not a bug. It appears to be a poorly-implemented new "feature."

The vertical scroll bar--- sometimes called the "elevator" bar--- is now distance sensitive. If you click near the slider, you'll scroll up or down one screen, as before. If you click far away from the slider, you'll advance two screens.

It makes a kind of sense, unless--- like millions of users, including me--- you're used to parking the mouse at the top or bottom of the scroll area and clicking on that one spot to read through a document one page at a time. Now, that no longer works, and you have to reposition the mouse after each click.

The new behavior also is not universal; the change does not affect all vertical scroll bars in all applications. Now you have to remember which ones work which way. Sigh.

I think we'll soon see patches and fixes that let us modify or disable this annoying "feature" that clearly did not get user-tested very well at all prior to release.<hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
12-08-2003, 02:19 PM
And why would anyone want to scroll 2 screens? I might scroll 1, I might scroll 10, but not 2.

I use AutoCAD all day. Every new version has a new "feature" which makes my life harder.

eg8r
12-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Since the wonderful invention of the scroll wheel on my mouse, I hardly ever use a scroll bar (only if the scroll wheel does not work).

I also usually do not like new enhancements in the beginning. After a while they become "normal" and I don't think about them any more.

eg8r

Rod
12-08-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm confused, not unusual. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif What constitutes a screen? I have ONE screen. Does a screen = X amount of lines. If I click at the very bottom on the lower arrow it only advances a small amount. If I click in the center it advances a lot more. I just use the scroll wheel which is set to 4 lines. I could set it to a page (what ever that is) or any amount of lines. BTW I use Tweak UI which is very useful and not just for mouse settings. I haven't installed that security feature ## as yet. It doesn't sound like it will effect me anyway?

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
12-08-2003, 02:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Since the wonderful invention of the scroll wheel on my mouse,

<font color="blue">I find it cumbersome. Maybe mine just doesn't work right. Maybe I'm just getting older. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

I also usually do not like new enhancements in the beginning. After a while they become "normal" and I don't think about them any more.

<font color="blue">I have no problem there but when they change the software to where it takes me longer to do the same task, I don't regard that as an improvement.

I can adapt to change. I never touched a computer until 10 years ago, when I was 35. But I can differentiate between "good change" and "change for change's sake"

Then there's "change so we can peddle the new version of the software"</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Rod
12-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Humm, well I installed that update along with another for win ME. My scroll bar seems the same. My mouse scroll button is always controlled by Tweak UI.

Rod

Qtec
12-09-2003, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can adapt to change. <font color="red"> HaHaHa /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color> I never touched a computer until 10 years ago, when I was 35. But I can differentiate between "good change" and "change for change's sake"
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally, you have consistantly proved that you [ along with eg8r] cant [ QUOTE ]
differentiate <hr /></blockquote> . Period.!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

eg8r
12-09-2003, 12:46 PM
And Q has once again tried to change the subject. Old dogs...new tricks, oh well it is something like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
12-09-2003, 01:50 PM
I would argue with you if I had any idea of what you are trying to say.