PDA

View Full Version : table top

peterk
12-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Has anyone built a tabletop for their pool table? I am sacrificing my dining room set for a pool table but I will need a dining table at least twice a year so I thought I would build a table top. Has anyone done this and are there any places on the internet to get good ideas?

Cueless Joey
12-08-2003, 05:52 PM
table converters (http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm/cat/523.cfm)
Make sure you get the covers too.

peterk
12-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Nice setup. Do you own one? If so, does it work well?

peterk
12-08-2003, 06:07 PM
It does not appear to cover the pockets though. I could see that as a problem. Also, since it does not extend beyond the table, do you think people can eat comfortably without sliding their knees under the table?

JimS
12-08-2003, 06:37 PM
No. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cueless Joey
12-08-2003, 06:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote peterk:</font><hr> It does not appear to cover the pockets though. I could see that as a problem. Also, since it does not extend beyond the table, do you think people can eat comfortably without sliding their knees under the table? <hr /></blockquote> Covers (http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm/cat/89.cfm)
This one covers the pockets with the converters underneath.
I don't know how the can sit around the table.

JimS
12-08-2003, 06:41 PM
I'd build one were I needing it. Pretty simple to build a plywood top with pcs of 2x4 on each side to fit inside the rails to keep it from moving much. I'd put a cheap plastic table cover between it and the table, pad the 2x4's with felt or something and have the wife make a tablecloth to go over the whole thing. Pretty cheap and pretty usable...except would it be a little high/tall??

JimS
12-08-2003, 06:44 PM
In answer to my own question...would it be a little high/tall the answer is Yes. The pool table measures 31.5" tall plus the plywood. The eating table measures 29.5". So put a pillow on the chair! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif...or invite only tall Indians over for dinner.

fast n loose
12-08-2003, 10:40 PM
I just had Thanksgiving dinner for 6 at my pool table. It is a little tall but not bad at all. I just put cushions on the chairs. I bought a ping-pong table top when I got the pool table and I just put the cover on the pool table, set a few socks (clean ones!) on the rails, and put the table top on that. Works like a charm.

Scott Lee
12-09-2003, 04:56 AM
A little bit of historical trivia here! At the turn of the 20th Century, pool table companies had largely saturated the market, in terms of poolhalls, and saloons. There were some tables in large, fancy homes, but not many in the average homes. In order to create a "new" ancillary market, they began manufacturing 'dual purpose' tables...pool tables with a removeable dining room table top. This accomplished two objectives. First, it appealed to the homemakers, because it provided their men with a pool table at home (which meant they were less likely to head down to the local poolroom or saloon), and it introduced the game to the "family", creating a wholesome image for the sport! I agree that you'd need seat cushions to make it comfortable to sit at the pool table and eat!

Scott Lee