PDA

View Full Version : ran a rack o' 9ball...on a snooker table!

snook
12-08-2003, 06:06 PM
yea, i play on a 10x5 brunswick snooker table. its ancient, and i love her, for the last year i've been playing off and on between snooker balls and regulation size rotation balls, and today, wouldnt you know it, i ran my first rack of nine ball on it, this is truly a good day for this 17 year old.

anybody else shoot regulations balls on a snooker table?

UTAddb
12-08-2003, 06:50 PM
I do that occasionally and I think it helps. Makes pool pockets look like frickin mop buckets. It seems to help your focus a lot too, in my opinion. However I've never tried running 9 ball racks on it, well done! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
12-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Long time ago I played in a place with one snooker table only and no snooker balls. 8 ball and 9 ball. Darned hard to run either, congratulations.

Used to play a lot of 7 ball on snooker tables, either with the 7 the money ball or odd ball where every odd numbered ball was a money ball. Wasn't a lot of worry about slop.

nAz
12-08-2003, 11:39 PM
wow that is awesome!
my high run in that formatt is four balls, it is so difficult to pocket balls straight or cut along the rails the way the pockets are shaped. good going dude.

Scott Lee
12-09-2003, 04:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Used to play a lot of 7 ball on snooker tables, either with the 7 the money ball or odd ball where every odd numbered ball was a money ball. <hr /></blockquote>

ras314...How long ago was that? 7-Ball is a "made up" game, that Matt Braun uses for his TV format. To my knowledge, it has only been around for less than 10 yrs.
However, I've been wrong before! LOL

Scott

Billy
12-09-2003, 05:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Used to play a lot of 7 ball on snooker tables, either with the 7 the money ball or odd ball where every odd numbered ball was a money ball. <hr /></blockquote>

ras314...How long ago was that? 7-Ball is a "made up" game, that Matt Braun uses for his TV format. To my knowledge, it has only been around for less than 10 yrs.

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

thinking back to when Jean Balukas was playing full time,I seem to remember her playing 7-ball on TV one or more times

that would be at least 20 years maybe,if correct

only a old timer would confirm but I do think 7-ball was a 'made for TV' game,just well before Matt Braun got into the pool scene

jmo

cheesemouse
12-09-2003, 07:28 AM
Billy,

[ QUOTE ]
that would be at least 20 years maybe,if correct

only a old timer would confirm but I do think 7-ball was a 'made for TV' game,<hr /></blockquote>

...while my mind can't wrap itself around the 'old timer' mindset I do remember 7-ball being on the tube way way back in the late 70's or early 80's......Scott, you better sharpen up....LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
12-09-2003, 10:10 AM
I can remember some old tapes of 7-ball being played. Seems like back then after the break one player chose one side of the table (the pockets along one long rail) and the other player got the other side, they had to make the 7-ball in the correct side of pockets. Anyone else remeber anything about this?

ras314
12-09-2003, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>

It was quite popular in the 50's and 60's in Panama City, Fla. Elmer's old pool hall. May not be what you are referring to. Was played on snooker tables with the numbered balls, 2 thru 7, hence the name 7 ball. There also was a version where several players in a ring game would draw a pill to determine their money ball. Ball in hand on scratches only, then BIH in the "D" as I recall.

Tried it this summer, boy do I still have a long way to go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Snooker tables are scarce as hens teeth around here. See more billiard tables.

ras314
12-09-2003, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
my high run in that formatt is four balls, it is so difficult to pocket balls straight or cut along the rails the way the pockets are shaped. good going dude. <hr /></blockquote>
Don't remember ever running a ball down the rail. Not even sure if it is possible, would take perfect speed with the ball barely turning over at the pocket. Whole lot better to bank the balls, even if off the rails a bit.

Scott Lee
12-09-2003, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> It was quite popular in the 50's and 60's in Panama City, Fla. Elmer's old pool hall. May not be what you are referring to. Was played on snooker tables with the numbered balls, 2 thru 7, hence the name 7 ball. There also was a version where several players in a ring game would draw a pill to determine their money ball. Ball in hand on scratches only, then BIH in the "D" as I recall.

Tried it this summer, boy do I still have a long way to go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Snooker tables are scarce as hens teeth around here. See more billiard tables. <hr /></blockquote>

Stan...Holy cow! Guess cheesemouse is right...I AM behind the times. However, the game you describe is completely different than the 7-Ball game being played on tv now. A game where the money ball on the break doesn't count, and your opponent gets b-i-h after ANY miss is BRUTAL! LOL I have to laugh, though. First time I played this game was last month, and I romped over the field in a local tournament! Go figure! LOL Of course, this was on 7' barboxes, NOT a snooker table!

Scott

ras314
12-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Well darn. Reckond I ought to get the TV hooked up to something and get caught on the world. LOL

BIH after any miss? I don't even like BIH after a foul. Especially not anywhere on the table. Too many good players around these days that will run out on you.

Pelican
12-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Somewhere I have a couple of tapes of old 7 ball matches in black and white. Seems like Fats was in one of them. Hum, y'all got me wonderin' - gonna try to find 'em.

Scott Lee
12-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Rick...Like ras314 said, I bet you're right! But I bet it is not the same game they are playing on tv today!

Scott

snook
12-09-2003, 04:06 PM
you can shoot em down the rail, but it takes perfect speed and shot, you dont make very many of em, playing on its worked my location over alot, because i know anything thats not nearly straight in is going to be tough.

Popcorn
12-09-2003, 04:34 PM
It was some kind of contrived game combining sort of 8-ball and one pocket. They played it in that old timers thing in Atlantic City about 20 years ago. Amazingly, going along with the title of this thread. I once ran 47 playing straight pool on Gandy snooker table 5 x 10. It was a pretty easy table as snooker tables go though. It seemed like the pool balls went in a little easier then the snooker balls. It could have been in my mind but they seemed to, because of their weight, they forced their way into the pockets. If you fired them in they would stay. I used to play a little golf and they used the pool balls on the snooker table. I often fired them in on certain shots. My partner would always look at me like I was nuts when I did that.

Midnightgold
12-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi..
i dont want to seem like an [censored] , and im not trying to be, but a full size snooker table is 12' x 6' , and correct me if im wrong but isnt a championship 9ball table 10' x 5', not downplaying your 9ball run , but try it on a full size, can break your heart, in oz here we play "kelly pool" on full size tables using pool balls, can be a great money maker /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif the more players the better.. again good achievement on a 10 by table with snooker pockets, congrats,