PDA

View Full Version : Photo gallery from "Showcase at the Ritz" posted

AuntyDan
12-09-2003, 01:49 AM
For those interested I have posted a photo gallery from the Showcase at the Ritz high-end custom cue event held in LA last month on Paul Drexler's website here:

http://www.pfdcues.com/html/events/001/index001.html

One of my favorites was the Samsara cue you can see in the center of picture 11. The interleaved wood in the wrap area was just stunning. Of course I was judging purely on appearance and workmanship. One has to wonder what all that glue must do to the feel, but I suspect very few of the cues on display at the show will ever grace the inside of a Pool hall.

Aunty Dan.

Scott Lee
12-09-2003, 04:12 AM
AuntyDan...Actually, you are quite incorrect about Samsara's playability. ALL of their cues are manufactured to the highest specifications, and have an excellent feel, and hit. You may be unaware, that when Samsara starting building their innovative designs, many people thought the same thing. However, what they didn't know, is that Jim and Dave were putting a solid maple core inside the striking designed Intarsia butts, creating an extremely solid feel, and maintaining integral strength, at the same time. Few, if any other cuemakers were doing this then. Most copied the technique, and are using it today. It is VERY likely that the cue pictured will be played with... whether in a poolroom or private home.

Scott Lee ~ Samsara rep, plays with Samsara custom cues

BLACKHEART
12-09-2003, 09:23 AM
These guys are my HEROS...JER

Fred Agnir
12-09-2003, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AuntyDan:</font><hr>
One has to wonder what all that glue must do to the feel, but I suspect very few of the cues on display at the show will ever grace the inside of a Pool hall.<hr /></blockquote>At least two of the cues on the Collectors Display Table hit the pool halls that evening.

Fred

PQQLK9
12-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Great pictures...thanks for posting.

AuntyDan
12-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the Samsara info Scott. A core in the wrap area makes a lot of sense to maintain playability.

I think one problem with pool players using very fancy cues to actually play with is the temptation to gamble with the cue itself. I know a local cuemaker here in So. Cal. who's wife won't let him out of the house with his own cues anymore because of that problem!