PDA

View Full Version : Big mistake?????

Qtec
12-09-2003, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Iraq tenders 'only for US allies'
Companies from countries opposed to the conflict in Iraq will be barred from bidding for new rebuilding contracts worth $18.6bn, the Pentagon has said.

US Deputy Defence Secretary Paul Wolfowitz said the policy was necessary to protect America's "essential security interests".

The 26 prime contracts cover areas such as oil, power, communications, water, housing and public works centres.

The ban would exclude firms from countries such as France and Germany.

The Bush administration hinted - even before the conflict - that countries opposed to the war would pay a price when it came to a share in post-war reconstruction, says the BBC's Pentagon correspondent Nick Childs.

Now, the Pentagon has published formal guidelines from Mr Wolfowitz confirming that companies from those countries cannot bid for new reconstruction contracts.

"Limiting competition for prime contracts will encourage the expansion of international co-operation in Iraq"
-Paul Wolfowitz

<hr /></blockquote>

I think this will have the opposite effect.

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2003, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Companies from countries opposed to the conflict in Iraq will be barred from bidding for new rebuilding contracts worth $18.6bn, the Pentagon has said.
<hr /></blockquote>

as it should be...

http://www.mozillaquest.com/News-General/graphics/American-Eagle-Sharp-R_315x268.gif

mess with the eagle and you'll get the talons....

eg8r
12-10-2003, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this will have the opposite effect. <hr /></blockquote> Okie Dokie.

eg8r

Qtec
12-10-2003, 08:26 AM
First the US comes round with the 'hat' looking for cash from the UN and then gives the contracts[ without proper value for money; ie no-bid contracts] to the companies who financed GW into office. Its bribery, pure and simple.
See here;
[ QUOTE ]
Iraq contracts 'won by Bush donors'
Many of the US firms which won lucrative Iraqi reconstruction contracts are major donors to President George W Bush's political campaigns, according to a new report.
The report, by pressure group the Centre for Public Integrity (CPI), claims that most of the contractors gave more money to Mr Bush's 2000 presidential campaign than to any other in the last 10 years.

The report covers 70 companies and individuals who between them have won reconstruction contracts in Afghanistan and Iraq worth up to $8bn (4.8bn).

We have made sure that it is not politically motivated
USAID spokesperson
According to the CPI, these firms and individuals have made political donations worth at least $49m since 1990.
Of the $49m, $12.7m went to Mr Bush's Republican Party, against $7.1m for the Democrats
<hr /></blockquote>

And then of course there is Haliburton ripping off the taxpayer at every opportunity.

You flinch at the thought of a buck going to someone who is in poverty,but you dont mind GW giving his pals billions of your tax dollars.

Q

eg8r
12-10-2003, 08:53 AM
I am just a little bit curious about something...Q have you ever taken a look at the companies that are referred to in the article? Has it ever occurred to you that those same companies were same companies that gave major donations to the Democratic party?

Much to my surprise (I did not read the whole thing) the dems were mentioned. 7.1 million. I guess this is pittance.

eg8r

Qtec
12-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Sure, they all do it. The only difference is to what degree?

BTW, I just seen a report that the JFC that wil be sold outside the US will be inferios to the US model.
Know anything bout that? It had something to do with the....... ,$$it, cant remember.Something to do with technology transfer.

Q?

eg8r
12-10-2003, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure, they all do it. The only difference is to what degree? <hr /></blockquote> I would say 7 and 12 million are the same degree.

What is JFC?

eg8r

cheesemouse
12-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Q,

So what else is new. It appears that the only thing the Bush administration isn't totally incompetent at is taking care friends, secrecy and duplicity of policy.

In this particular case of awarding contracts to our supporters I think that is human nature. Would that I were king, I would do the same thing. The real shame of this is that France, Germany, Russia and the bulk of the other Nato alliance countrys are on the outside...how the hell did Bush and crew accomplish this feat of turning our long standing allies against so quickly?

In spite of the world wide support given us in post 9/11; their support for getting after the real enemy- Binny boy in Afganistan. Bush and crew left that job half done and made the right turn into a 'my way or the highway' war against Iraq. Now this administration is sitting on two unfinished fronts and world wide support is almost nil, even our allies in the Iraq misadventure are reluctant. Internation aid organizations who have a history of doing tough jobs in the worst of situations around the world are jumping ship and not because they are afraid or scared but rather they don't trust this administration and the duplicity of it's every action. They don't trust this S.O.B and the word is spreading like wild fire...the word is: get the hell away from any connection to this Iraq fiasco that Bush and crew has gotten their stupid ass into, let them hang themselves.

The U.S. is the only world power and I'm sure that is hard for other countrys to stomach but they have always been in a postition where they couldn't do anything but kiss our butt because we really did stand on the moral high ground but lo and behold in one short year Bush and crew with their high stakes gambling style of dealing with the world has blown that high ground to smithereens. I'm sure the countrys that have had to swallow their prides for the last few decades are all jumping for joy. They love that Bush is a cowboy idiot. They can now sit back and watch this goof-ball destroy Americas good name and good will all around the world and they don't have to do squat. They just have to stay uninvolved. While we spend our blood and treasure they can kick back and wait for Bushes next bad move. They've never seen anything this sweet and easy. They are loving this $hit. Hell, they are going to start sending money in for Bushes re-election campain. Nothing could be better for all their national prides than to help get Bush re-elected. I mean just think of what Bush could do with four more years given what he has accomplished in this last year. They can't believe their good fortune,they couldn't write this movie script it is unimaginable,they could'nt sell this script it is unbelieveable ( now wait a minute someone did sell Waterworld ).

With every additional year Bush is in office the countrys of the world benefit in our fall from grace. This boozo can't run three frick'n balls and the world knows it.

Qtec
12-11-2003, 03:49 AM
I meant JSF.

Q

eg8r
12-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Oh. Well, ever since the very beginning of the program, it was going to be sold outside the US. As a matter of fact, this is the largest fighter program in US history to combine about 18 countries. The majority of all the other fighters produced in the US are also sold abroad. Some of the countries helping are the UK, Italy, and Australia. They all have their own little part of the process and LM does the rest. There is no technology transfer, as these companies are building sections of the plane in which they specialize in. Nice try but Clinton was the one that sold the secrets (to the Chinese). Bush was not even around when this program was started, Clinton was the President at the time. Ignorance seems to be your motto.

eg8r